Overcoming irritating feature - file open dialog box disappears



Jack Sheet
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
1) The selected file is opened, and
2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because frequently I
have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have filtered
using the same criteria as before.
It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure Word so that
the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by the user
to close it?

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

CyberTaz
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi Jack-

You don't mention which version of Word, but if '03 or XP have you tried
going to the Tools menu in the Open File dialog box and using the
Search>Advanced feature?

HTH |:>)

"Jack Sheet" wrote:

> I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
> I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
> I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
> 1) The selected file is opened, and
> 2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
> I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because frequently I
> have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have filtered
> using the same criteria as before.
> It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure Word so that
> the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by the user
> to close it?
>
> --
> Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears
>
>
>

TF
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Jack

When you say File Open, do you mean the File Open dialog or the Task Pane
(usually clinging to the right side of the Window)? If you mean Task Pane,
then you need the Task Pane Controller Add-in from here:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/ShowTaskPane.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:OsERxB0aFHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
:I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
: I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
: I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
: 1) The selected file is opened, and
: 2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
: I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because frequently I
: have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have
filtered
: using the same criteria as before.
: It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure Word so
that
: the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by the user
: to close it?
:
: --
: Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears
:
:

Jack Sheet
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi

No, it was the dialog box that I meant. However I like the look of the task
pane controller.

"TF" <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote in message
news:OF0KFf5aFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Jack
>
> When you say File Open, do you mean the File Open dialog or the Task Pane
> (usually clinging to the right side of the Window)? If you mean Task Pane,
> then you need the Task Pane Controller Add-in from here:
> http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/ShowTaskPane.htm
>
> --
> Terry Farrell - Word MVP
> http://word.mvps.org/
>
> "Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:OsERxB0aFHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> :I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
> : I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
> : I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
> : 1) The selected file is opened, and
> : 2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
> : I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because frequently
I
> : have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have
> filtered
> : using the same criteria as before.
> : It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure Word so
> that
> : the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by the
user
> : to close it?
> :
> : --
> : Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears
> :
> :
>
>

Jack Sheet
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks, will try that

"CyberTaz" <CyberTaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7BF0F277-32A5-4C1E-B58A-5A101C582E2A@microsoft.com...
> Hi Jack-
>
> You don't mention which version of Word, but if '03 or XP have you tried
> going to the Tools menu in the Open File dialog box and using the
> Search>Advanced feature?
>
> HTH |:>)
>
> "Jack Sheet" wrote:
>
> > I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
> > I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
> > I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
> > 1) The selected file is opened, and
> > 2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
> > I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because frequently
I
> > have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have
filtered
> > using the same criteria as before.
> > It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure Word so
that
> > the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by the
user
> > to close it?
> >
> > --
> > Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears
> >
> >
> >

Larry
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Another possibility is opening the Windows folder that contains the
documents. The folder will of course stay open until you close it.

Larry



Jack Sheet wrote:
> Hi
>
> No, it was the dialog box that I meant. However I like the look of
> the task pane controller.
>
> "TF" <terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom> wrote in message
> news:OF0KFf5aFHA.2756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Jack
> >
> > When you say File Open, do you mean the File Open dialog or the
> > Task Pane (usually clinging to the right side of the Window)? If
> > you mean Task Pane, then you need the Task Pane Controller Add-in
> > from here: http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/ShowTaskPane.htm
> >
> > --
> > Terry Farrell - Word MVP
> > http://word.mvps.org/
> >
> > "Jack Sheet" <mind-the-gap@DEEPblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:OsERxB0aFHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > > I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
> > > I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
> > > I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
> > > 1) The selected file is opened, and
> > > 2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
> > > I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because
> > > frequently
> I
> > > have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have
> > filtered
> > > using the same criteria as before.
> > > It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure
> > > Word so
> > that
> > > the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by
> > > the
> user
> > > to close it?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears


Overcoming irritating feature - file open dialog box disappears