Help with outlining - what happened to the Outline level buttons in 2003?



Dab
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm currently using Word 2003.

In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The beauty
was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
button was clicked.

This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing something
wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

Daiya Mitchell
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
When in Outline View, go to View | Toolbars and see if you can call the
Outlining toolbar. That's what had the buttons.


On 5/24/05 3:21 PM, "Dab" wrote:

> I'm currently using Word 2003.
>
> In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
> the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The beauty
> was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
> level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
> button was clicked.
>
> This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing something
> wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: <http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/>
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Dab
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi Daiya:

That's the first place I looked, unfortunately, the new toolbar doesn't have
the buttons anymore.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

"Daiya Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote in message
news:BEB8FA40.30399%daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID...
> When in Outline View, go to View | Toolbars and see if you can call the
> Outlining toolbar. That's what had the buttons.
>
>
> On 5/24/05 3:21 PM, "Dab" wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using Word 2003.
>>
>> In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
>> the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The
>> beauty
>> was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
>> level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
>> button was clicked.
>>
>> This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing
>> something
>> wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.
>
> --
> Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
> Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
> MacWord Tips: <http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/>
> What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>

Daiya Mitchell
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Oh. I'm not very familiar with Word 2003, so I don't know if they removed
anything, and I'm not quite sure what your description means. In my version,
there are icons with just the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, etc on them--hitting 1
shows all the text in level 1--hitting 2 shows all the text that is in level
1 and level 2, and so forth.

Is that what you want? If that's it, you should be able to dig those
commands out of Tools | Customize and drag them onto your toolbar--in my
version they are named ShowHeading1, etc, and listed under View.

Alternatively, hitting Reset for the Outlining Toolbar in Tools | Customize
might bring them back.

If that isn't what you want, are you sure it was a built-in feature in the
previous version, and not something your work set up specially or anything?


On 5/24/05 4:55 PM, "Dab" wrote:

> Hi Daiya:
>
> That's the first place I looked, unfortunately, the new toolbar doesn't have
> the buttons anymore.
>
> --
> Dab
>
> Cut off: yourhead to respond
>
> "Daiya Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote in message
> news:BEB8FA40.30399%daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID...
>> When in Outline View, go to View | Toolbars and see if you can call the
>> Outlining toolbar. That's what had the buttons.
>>
>>
>> On 5/24/05 3:21 PM, "Dab" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently using Word 2003.
>>>
>>> In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
>>> the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The
>>> beauty
>>> was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
>>> level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
>>> button was clicked.
>>>
>>> This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing
>>> something
>>> wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.
>>

Suzanne S. Barnhill
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
There's a list box on the toolbar from which you select the lowest level you
want displayed.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Dab" <noThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:O7ogH8KYFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I'm currently using Word 2003.
>
> In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
> the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The beauty
> was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
> level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
> button was clicked.
>
> This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing
something
> wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.
>
> --
> Dab
>
> Cut off: yourhead to respond
>
>

Bob Buckland ?:-\)
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi Dab,

Yes, things changed a bit for outlining in Word 2003,
but you can collapse the outline
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH010267801033.aspx



Toolbar reference
http://office.microsoft.com/training/Training.aspx?AssetID=RP062014031033&CTT=6&Origin=RC061050921033

=============
<<"Dab" <noThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O7ogH8KYFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
I'm currently using Word 2003.

In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The beauty
was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
button was clicked.

This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing something
wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

--
Dab <<
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/administrativetipsandtricks.mspx

Dab
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi Susanne:

Weird. There was no box, and no what to add one through customization,
however, I rebooted my computer this morning and now the box has appeared.
Thanks.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbarnhill@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eAlZ6OOYFHA.2572@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> There's a list box on the toolbar from which you select the lowest level
> you
> want displayed.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
> so
> all may benefit.
>
> "Dab" <noThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:O7ogH8KYFHA.3132@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> I'm currently using Word 2003.
>>
>> In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
>> the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The
>> beauty
>> was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
>> level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
>> button was clicked.
>>
>> This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing
> something
>> wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.
>>
>> --
>> Dab
>>
>> Cut off: yourhead to respond
>>
>>
>

Dab
07-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi Daiya:

I was able to add the buttons (And the show levels box appeared after a
reboot). Thanks for the suggestion.
--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

"Daiya Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote in message
news:BEB933E9.3043D%daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID...
> Oh. I'm not very familiar with Word 2003, so I don't know if they removed
> anything, and I'm not quite sure what your description means. In my
> version,
> there are icons with just the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, etc on them--hitting 1
> shows all the text in level 1--hitting 2 shows all the text that is in
> level
> 1 and level 2, and so forth.
>
> Is that what you want? If that's it, you should be able to dig those
> commands out of Tools | Customize and drag them onto your toolbar--in my
> version they are named ShowHeading1, etc, and listed under View.
>
> Alternatively, hitting Reset for the Outlining Toolbar in Tools |
> Customize
> might bring them back.
>
> If that isn't what you want, are you sure it was a built-in feature in the
> previous version, and not something your work set up specially or
> anything?
>
>
> On 5/24/05 4:55 PM, "Dab" wrote:
>
>> Hi Daiya:
>>
>> That's the first place I looked, unfortunately, the new toolbar doesn't
>> have
>> the buttons anymore.
>>
>> --
>> Dab
>>
>> Cut off: yourhead to respond
>>
>> "Daiya Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote in message
>> news:BEB8FA40.30399%daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID...
>>> When in Outline View, go to View | Toolbars and see if you can call the
>>> Outlining toolbar. That's what had the buttons.
>>>
>>>
>>> On 5/24/05 3:21 PM, "Dab" wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'm currently using Word 2003.
>>>>
>>>> In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would
>>>> collapse
>>>> the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The
>>>> beauty
>>>> was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
>>>> level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
>>>> button was clicked.
>>>>
>>>> This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing
>>>> something
>>>> wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.
>>>
>


Help with outlining - what happened to the Outline level buttons in 2003?