Re: Inserting pictures questions



Margaret Aldis
07-09-2005, 11:00 PM
"Jeff" <jeff@phony.com> wrote in message
news:%238UmzJaVFHA.2324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I have 2 questions about inserting pictures from file into a Word 2002 doc
> and about inserting frames.

2? I count 4 - but nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition <g>.

> 1. Is there an easy way to know if the image inserted by
> "Insert/Picture/From file" was inserted as an embedded image (what I want)
> or as a link in the document?

Alt-F9 will show field codes. If the picture is linked you will see (and can
search for) an INCLUDEPICTURE field. If the picture is in the document
you'll see the picture.

(There is also an EMBED field - this is *not* the same as having the picture
unlinked and saved in the document. It means that the picture is embedded an
editable object. This can happen accidentally via paste, or by using Insert
> Object instead of Insert > Picture. Unless there are special reasons for
needing an embedded object, it is usually a Bad Thing.)

Can the default be made "embed" (i.e. copy
> into document)?

What version of Word are you using? In 2002 and 2003 at least (I thought
also 2000) saving in the file unlinked is what you get when you click the
Insert button on the dialog. The other options are available on a dropdown
menu beside the Insert button.

> 2. When I insert a caption to an image, the caption is written in bold.
> How do I change that to normal?

Change the Caption style.

> 3. Is there a way to change the default for "Insert frame" so that it has
> no
> lines for borders in the frame it inserts?
>

I don't believe there is. Depending on what you are trying to do, you might
find setting the frame format as part of a paragraph style, or saving a
formatted frame as an AutoText, achieves what you want. Another option is to
use a macro to remove borders.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill
07-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Note that an INCLUDEPICTURE field will not be seen (though it may exist)
unless the picture is In Line With Text. If it's wrapped, it must be made
inline before you can see the field code.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Margaret Aldis" <Margaret.Aldis@mvps.(SpamStopper)org.invalid> wrote in
message news:uh5vaEgVFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "Jeff" <jeff@phony.com> wrote in message
> news:%238UmzJaVFHA.2324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >I have 2 questions about inserting pictures from file into a Word 2002
doc
> > and about inserting frames.
>
> 2? I count 4 - but nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition <g>.
>
> > 1. Is there an easy way to know if the image inserted by
> > "Insert/Picture/From file" was inserted as an embedded image (what I
want)
> > or as a link in the document?
>
> Alt-F9 will show field codes. If the picture is linked you will see (and
can
> search for) an INCLUDEPICTURE field. If the picture is in the document
> you'll see the picture.
>
> (There is also an EMBED field - this is *not* the same as having the
picture
> unlinked and saved in the document. It means that the picture is embedded
an
> editable object. This can happen accidentally via paste, or by using
Insert
> > Object instead of Insert > Picture. Unless there are special reasons
for
> needing an embedded object, it is usually a Bad Thing.)
>
> Can the default be made "embed" (i.e. copy
> > into document)?
>
> What version of Word are you using? In 2002 and 2003 at least (I thought
> also 2000) saving in the file unlinked is what you get when you click the
> Insert button on the dialog. The other options are available on a dropdown
> menu beside the Insert button.
>
> > 2. When I insert a caption to an image, the caption is written in bold.
> > How do I change that to normal?
>
> Change the Caption style.
>
> > 3. Is there a way to change the default for "Insert frame" so that it
has
> > no
> > lines for borders in the frame it inserts?
> >
>
> I don't believe there is. Depending on what you are trying to do, you
might
> find setting the frame format as part of a paragraph style, or saving a
> formatted frame as an AutoText, achieves what you want. Another option is
to
> use a macro to remove borders.
>
> --
> Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
> Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
> Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
>
>

Jeff
07-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Thank you all again .......

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam
jeff@stevens.com



Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
> Note that an INCLUDEPICTURE field will not be seen (though it may
> exist) unless the picture is In Line With Text. If it's wrapped, it
> must be made inline before you can see the field code.
>
>
> "Margaret Aldis" <Margaret.Aldis@mvps.(SpamStopper)org.invalid> wrote
> in message news:uh5vaEgVFHA.228@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> "Jeff" <jeff@phony.com> wrote in message
>> news:%238UmzJaVFHA.2324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> I have 2 questions about inserting pictures from file into a Word
>>> 2002 doc and about inserting frames.
>>
>> 2? I count 4 - but nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition <g>.
>>
>>> 1. Is there an easy way to know if the image inserted by
>>> "Insert/Picture/From file" was inserted as an embedded image (what
>>> I want) or as a link in the document?
>>
>> Alt-F9 will show field codes. If the picture is linked you will see
>> (and can search for) an INCLUDEPICTURE field. If the picture is in
>> the document you'll see the picture.
>>
>> (There is also an EMBED field - this is *not* the same as having the
>> picture unlinked and saved in the document. It means that the
>> picture is embedded an editable object. This can happen accidentally
>> via paste, or by using Insert > Object instead of Insert > Picture.
>> Unless there are special reasons for needing an embedded object, it
>> is usually a Bad Thing.)
>>
>> Can the default be made "embed" (i.e. copy
>>> into document)?
>>
>> What version of Word are you using? In 2002 and 2003 at least (I
>> thought also 2000) saving in the file unlinked is what you get when
>> you click the Insert button on the dialog. The other options are
>> available on a dropdown menu beside the Insert button.
>>
>>> 2. When I insert a caption to an image, the caption is written in
>>> bold. How do I change that to normal?
>>
>> Change the Caption style.
>>
>>> 3. Is there a way to change the default for "Insert frame" so that
>>> it has no
>>> lines for borders in the frame it inserts?
>>>
>>
>> I don't believe there is. Depending on what you are trying to do,
>> you might find setting the frame format as part of a paragraph
>> style, or saving a formatted frame as an AutoText, achieves what you
>> want. Another option is to use a macro to remove borders.
>>
>> --
>> Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
>> Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
>> Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org


Re: Inserting pictures questions