Cleaning old computer



Burger
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
How do I "clean" my old computer and then reinstall the Windows XP operating
system so I can give it to my kids' school?
--
Burger Boy

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Burger wrote:
> How do I "clean" my old computer and then reinstall the Windows XP operating
> system so I can give it to my kids' school?

How fully do you want to clean it - you could just use a file scrubbing
utility to destroy the confidential files, then boot it off the CD and
when it asks where you want to install it delete the partition and
recreate and reformat it.

If you want more 'total destruction of data' you'll have to do some more
serious cleaning of the hard drive with something that will overwrite
the entire surface with random data.

Juergen Nieveler
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
andy smart <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> If you want more 'total destruction of data' you'll have to do some
> more serious cleaning of the hard drive with something that will
> overwrite the entire surface with random data.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ is an easy way to wipe the entire HD.

Juergen Nieveler
--
We now return to our regularly scheduled flame-throwing.

Burger
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I want to "totally delete everything off of the hard drive" and then
reinstall the Windows XP operating system only.
--
Burger Boy


"andy smart" wrote:

> Burger wrote:
> > How do I "clean" my old computer and then reinstall the Windows XP operating
> > system so I can give it to my kids' school?
>
> How fully do you want to clean it - you could just use a file scrubbing
> utility to destroy the confidential files, then boot it off the CD and
> when it asks where you want to install it delete the partition and
> recreate and reformat it.
>
> If you want more 'total destruction of data' you'll have to do some more
> serious cleaning of the hard drive with something that will overwrite
> the entire surface with random data.
>

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Burger wrote:
> I want to "totally delete everything off of the hard drive" and then
> reinstall the Windows XP operating system only.

There is a world of difference between deleting everything and wiping
the hard drive. Files which have been deleted can be recovered, if the
disk is wiped properly they can't.

A lot of people do not realise this and when they bring me faulty floppy
disks on which I can show them all the files they've 'deleted' they seem
shocked :-)

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Juergen Nieveler wrote:
> andy smart <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>
>>If you want more 'total destruction of data' you'll have to do some
>>more serious cleaning of the hard drive with something that will
>>overwrite the entire surface with random data.
>
>
> http://dban.sourceforge.net/ is an easy way to wipe the entire HD.
>
> Juergen Nieveler

Thanks for that link

Burger
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I am not concerned about being able to recover anything from this computer.
I just want to "clean" it so I can give it away without worrying that
ANYTHING of mine can be accessed from it.
--
Burger Boy


"andy smart" wrote:

>
> There is a world of difference between deleting everything and wiping
> the hard drive. Files which have been deleted can be recovered, if the
> disk is wiped properly they can't.
>
> A lot of people do not realise this and when they bring me faulty floppy
> disks on which I can show them all the files they've 'deleted' they seem
> shocked :-)
>

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Boot from the WinXP CD and install Windows. You will be given an
opportunity to format the partition.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/


"Burger" <msburger314@cox.net> wrote in message
news:B37B7404-A5EC-40E6-B93C-D599DDBDBCB6@microsoft.com...
> How do I "clean" my old computer and then reinstall the Windows XP
> operating
> system so I can give it to my kids' school?
> --
> Burger Boy

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Burger wrote:
> I am not concerned about being able to recover anything from this computer.
> I just want to "clean" it so I can give it away without worrying that
> ANYTHING of mine can be accessed from it.

Then you need to wipe your hard drive, the link suggested by Juergen
above sounds worth a look

Juergen Nieveler
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
andy smart <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Then you need to wipe your hard drive, the link suggested by Juergen
> above sounds worth a look

Indeed, it's a nice tool that fits all levels of paranoia. Wipe once
just to clean the drive, wipe 35 times to make sure that nobody will be
able to recover ANYTHING.

Plus, it comes as an ISO allowing you to create a boot CD :-)

Juergen Nieveler
--
Never share a fox hole with anyone braver than you.

Crouchie1998
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Hello Hamburger man!!

I would first use a file shredder to do a government wipe. 'WipeClean'
(http://www.avantrix.com/wpclean.exe) can do that for you

When re-installing XP you will need to contact Microsoft because your
Activation will need to be reset.

Once you install the operating system, contact Microsoft & give them the
code & they will give you the product activation code. Remember, if you
close that dialog box before entering the code Microsoft gave you then
you'll need to contact Microsoft again because it will generate a new code
for you, which mean the previous unlock code will fail to work

Whilst you have an empty drive. Why don't you install a proper operating
system & not the absolute rubbish they call XP?

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Imhotep
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Crouchie1998 wrote:


> Whilst you have an empty drive. Why don't you install a proper operating
> system & not the absolute rubbish they call XP?

Here here...good advice.

> Crouchie1998
> BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

-Im

Byron Hynes [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
You will not normally have to re-activate if installing on the same hardware.

> Once you install the operating system, contact Microsoft & give them
> the code & they will give you the product activation code. Remember,
> if you close that dialog box before entering the code Microsoft gave
> you then you'll need to contact Microsoft again because it will
> generate a new code for you, which mean the previous unlock code will
> fail to work

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Byron;
Activation is still required.
Phone activation should not be necessary.
Internet activation should suffice if it is on the same hardware.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
http://www.dts-l.org


"Byron Hynes [MVP]" <nospam@byronetta.com> wrote in message
news:152354632525484748125000@msnews.microsoft.com...
> You will not normally have to re-activate if installing on the same
> hardware.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
There is no reason to contact Microsoft unless the activation screen
specifically says so.
Since it is the same hardware, internet activation should suffice.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
http://www.dts-l.org


"Crouchie1998" <crouchie1998@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:uD6w1zKYFHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hello Hamburger man!!
>
> I would first use a file shredder to do a government wipe. 'WipeClean'
> (http://www.avantrix.com/wpclean.exe) can do that for you
>
> When re-installing XP you will need to contact Microsoft because your
> Activation will need to be reset.
>
> Once you install the operating system, contact Microsoft & give them the
> code & they will give you the product activation code. Remember, if you
> close that dialog box before entering the code Microsoft gave you then
> you'll need to contact Microsoft again because it will generate a new code
> for you, which mean the previous unlock code will fail to work
>
> Whilst you have an empty drive. Why don't you install a proper operating
> system & not the absolute rubbish they call XP?
>
> Crouchie1998
> BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
>
>

Byron Hynes [MVP]
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
> Byron;
> Activation is still required.
> Phone activation should not be necessary.

Sorry, I mis-spoke. Yes, that's what I meant, even though it's not what I
said :)

andy smart
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Crouchie1998 wrote:
> Hello Hamburger man!!
>
> I would first use a file shredder to do a government wipe. 'WipeClean'
> (http://www.avantrix.com/wpclean.exe) can do that for you
>
> When re-installing XP you will need to contact Microsoft because your
> Activation will need to be reset.
>
> Once you install the operating system, contact Microsoft & give them the
> code & they will give you the product activation code. Remember, if you
> close that dialog box before entering the code Microsoft gave you then
> you'll need to contact Microsoft again because it will generate a new code
> for you, which mean the previous unlock code will fail to work
>
> Whilst you have an empty drive. Why don't you install a proper operating
> system & not the absolute rubbish they call XP?
>
> Crouchie1998
> BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
>
>
Because he wanted to dontate it to somebody, and they perhaps have a
clear vision of what they want?

Burger
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Ok, I tried but cannot find the option to reboot from the CD. How do I do
this? I hit F8 when the machine is booting up but there is not option to
reboot from the CD. The options are all along the lines of debugging,
booting with C: prompt, etc.

Please help!
--
Burger Boy


"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> Boot from the WinXP CD and install Windows. You will be given an
> opportunity to format the partition.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>
>
> "Burger" <msburger314@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:B37B7404-A5EC-40E6-B93C-D599DDBDBCB6@microsoft.com...
> > How do I "clean" my old computer and then reinstall the Windows XP
> > operating
> > system so I can give it to my kids' school?
> > --
> > Burger Boy
>
>
>

D@annyBoy
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
do you feel comfortable with going to the BIOS before booting?
check for option to boot from CD before hard disk
insert cd after changing the default bootup

While having coffee and bread this morning, I read that Burger wrote in
news:0BCD8F14-4363-4906-B3C0-BDC079E9FE76@microsoft.com


> Ok, I tried but cannot find the option to reboot from the CD. How do I do
> this? I hit F8 when the machine is booting up but there is not option to
> reboot from the CD. The options are all along the lines of debugging,
> booting with C: prompt, etc.
>
> Please help!

Burger
07-09-2005, 11:52 PM
That is what I am doing, but there is no option to boot from CD. I am
assuming I do not have a bootable CD. Does anyone have any other ideas?
--
Burger Boy


"D@annyBoy" wrote:

> do you feel comfortable with going to the BIOS before booting?
> check for option to boot from CD before hard disk
> insert cd after changing the default bootup
>
> While having coffee and bread this morning, I read that Burger wrote in
> news:0BCD8F14-4363-4906-B3C0-BDC079E9FE76@microsoft.com
>
>
> > Ok, I tried but cannot find the option to reboot from the CD. How do I do
> > this? I hit F8 when the machine is booting up but there is not option to
> > reboot from the CD. The options are all along the lines of debugging,
> > booting with C: prompt, etc.
> >
> > Please help!
>
>
>
>

she_wants_to_know_all
07-09-2005, 11:53 PM
Andy,

I am currently changing jobs, and have a laptop the company gave me to use.
I would like to clear my hidden files ( i clear the temp files, and history
everyday) but I was told the "cache" stores all the websites i view or files
I download in these hidden files. I do not want to wipe out my company email
or other programs on the laptop, because the person that is getting my laptop
will need this. I have found a few websites that have addressed this, are
these suggestions correct and will this get rid of everything? Any
suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
K

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/windowsxp/qt/aa071004.htm?terms=automatically+erase+your+page+file

http://www.microsuck.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml


--
she_wants_to_know_all


"Juergen Nieveler" wrote:

> andy smart <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > If you want more 'total destruction of data' you'll have to do some
> > more serious cleaning of the hard drive with something that will
> > overwrite the entire surface with random data.
>
> http://dban.sourceforge.net/ is an easy way to wipe the entire HD.
>
> Juergen Nieveler
> --
> We now return to our regularly scheduled flame-throwing.
>


Cleaning old computer