.NET Hijack



Midas
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I get a strange msg when I log on with MSN 9 Dialup / MSN Explorer: "You've
been signed out from .NET because you were signed in from a different
location."
My location hasn't changed for 8 months.

Is it safe to assume my .NET login has been hijacked somehow?

This just started last night. And, I noticed that WebRoot Spysweeper DOES
NOT DETECT RealSpy Monitor. NoAdware 3.0 took care of that. To be on the
safe side (and assuming the worst-case scenario) I have already changed my
..NET passwords & made them <i>strong</i>.

Thanks.

Crouchie1998
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
It does sound like someone has used your passport.

Not only should you change your password, but your secret question/answer
too

------------------------------------

If you are going to use any Spyware software then I recommend only one &
that is SpyBot S & D, which is totally FREE unless you want to donate that
is, but that's up-to-you. Spybot, can be downloaded here:

http://users.telenet.be/hestia/spybotsd13.exe

Once installed, download all the updates, backup your registry & then run
the program. I suggest you delete the other Spyware programs too

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Roger Abell
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Just keep in mind that "from another location" does, I think, mean
that the passport was used at a different website/webservice; not
that you physically moved in the world.

--
Roger
"Midas" <Midas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:36EF17EA-A4FB-4CC9-943C-DFCF90416E7F@microsoft.com...
> I get a strange msg when I log on with MSN 9 Dialup / MSN Explorer:
"You've
> been signed out from .NET because you were signed in from a different
> location."
> My location hasn't changed for 8 months.
>
> Is it safe to assume my .NET login has been hijacked somehow?
>
> This just started last night. And, I noticed that WebRoot Spysweeper DOES
> NOT DETECT RealSpy Monitor. NoAdware 3.0 took care of that. To be on the
> safe side (and assuming the worst-case scenario) I have already changed my
> .NET passwords & made them <i>strong</i>.
>
> Thanks.
>
>

Paul Adare
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
In article <eKApJyPWFHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, in the
microsoft.public.security news group, Roger Abell <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
says...

> Just keep in mind that "from another location" does, I think, mean
> that the passport was used at a different website/webservice; not
> that you physically moved in the world.
>

It actually means a different computer. Same message you receive if you
log into MSN Messenger from another computer.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine
http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
Scientists were excited this week at having isolated a brief sound which
occurred immediately before the Big Bang.
Apparently, the sound was, "uh oh".

Roger Abell
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
"Paul Adare" <padare@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cf090bbfd9e6797989d74@msnews.microsoft.com...
> In article <eKApJyPWFHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, in the
> microsoft.public.security news group, Roger Abell <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
> says...
>
> > Just keep in mind that "from another location" does, I think, mean
> > that the passport was used at a different website/webservice; not
> > that you physically moved in the world.
> >
>
> It actually means a different computer. Same message you receive if you
> log into MSN Messenger from another computer.
>

Thanks Paul
Shows one how much I use MSN, ey?
--
Roger

Paul Adare
07-09-2005, 11:51 PM
In article <upW4JhQWFHA.128@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, in the
microsoft.public.security news group, Roger Abell <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu>
says...

> Thanks Paul
> Shows one how much I use MSN, ey?
>

It is how I tell when my daughter is at her boyfriend's place. :-) When
the message pops up on her laptop which is in our family room, I know
where she is. :-)

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine
http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
Scientists were excited this week at having isolated a brief sound which
occurred immediately before the Big Bang.
Apparently, the sound was, "uh oh".


.NET Hijack