blank password



Iwan Vandaele
07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Hello,

I’ve laptop that I use at my work that is member of a domain. But when I am
at home I want to work locally, with a local profile. Everything works but I
want to login with a user without a password. I’m administrator and when I
define a new user I must always enter a password!!!

I’ve looked in the policy’s and there stays minimum password length=6. But I
can’t change it to zero, it’s disabled!!!!

Is there another policy that I use to enable or disable so that this check
box become changeable.

Could someone help me??


Thanks in advance

Roger Abell
07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Your policy settings are under control from the domain to
which the machine is joined.

--
Roger
"Iwan Vandaele" <IwanVandaele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6CE39B62-A9A4-4460-ABE7-4EE926693F84@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> I've laptop that I use at my work that is member of a domain. But when I
am
> at home I want to work locally, with a local profile. Everything works but
I
> want to login with a user without a password. I'm administrator and when I
> define a new user I must always enter a password!!!
>
> I've looked in the policy's and there stays minimum password length=6. But
I
> can't change it to zero, it's disabled!!!!
>
> Is there another policy that I use to enable or disable so that this check
> box become changeable.
>
> Could someone help me??
>
>
> Thanks in advance
>

Joe Richards [MVP]
07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
While it is possible to bypass this policy for specific accounts, that machine
isn't your machine and the people who own the machine have set a policy on it to
protect the machine's security. You should abide to that policy as the
administrators at work probably have a better understanding of security than you
may have.


--
Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
www.joeware.net


Iwan Vandaele wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’ve laptop that I use at my work that is member of a domain. But when I am
> at home I want to work locally, with a local profile. Everything works but I
> want to login with a user without a password. I’m administrator and when I
> define a new user I must always enter a password!!!
>
> I’ve looked in the policy’s and there stays minimum password length=6. But I
> can’t change it to zero, it’s disabled!!!!
>
> Is there another policy that I use to enable or disable so that this check
> box become changeable.
>
> Could someone help me??
>
>
> Thanks in advance
>

Crouchie1998
07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Although, it is correct what JoeWare (LOL) said, you can set the password
length to zero by changing the following registry key:

User Key:
----------

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network

System Key:
-------------

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Networ
k


Key Name:
----------

MinPwdLen

Key Type:
---------

REG_BINARY

Value:
------

06 <----- Default
00 <----- Change to

-------------------------

If you are unable to change the registry key because you are restricted, you
use the newsgroup via Outlook Express & you have the .NET 1.1 Framework
installed, I can knock up a small application that I can attach that will
change it to zero length passwork at a simple key press using registry
permissions. Although, if you are an administrator you should know all the
above anyway & have access to the key.

I hope this helps

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Joe Richards [MVP]
07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
You don't even need to change the registry, you can change the one account.

--
Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
www.joeware.net


Crouchie1998 wrote:
> Although, it is correct what JoeWare (LOL) said, you can set the password
> length to zero by changing the following registry key:
>
> User Key:
> ----------
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network
>
> System Key:
> -------------
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Networ
> k
>
>
> Key Name:
> ----------
>
> MinPwdLen
>
> Key Type:
> ---------
>
> REG_BINARY
>
> Value:
> ------
>
> 06 <----- Default
> 00 <----- Change to
>
> -------------------------
>
> If you are unable to change the registry key because you are restricted, you
> use the newsgroup via Outlook Express & you have the .NET 1.1 Framework
> installed, I can knock up a small application that I can attach that will
> change it to zero length passwork at a simple key press using registry
> permissions. Although, if you are an administrator you should know all the
> above anyway & have access to the key.
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Crouchie1998
> BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
>
>


blank password