Is notpad a virus?



Walter R.
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I routinely ran spybot and ad-aware, in addition to my AVG virus checker and
the on-line virus check with Trend Micro and RAV.

None of them detected any malware.

Then I installed the MS Antispyware program. It immediately found a Trojan:
iteye, located in c:/windows\system32\notpad.exe . It is shown as a high
threat level.

Why do all these other programs not detect something as obvious as
notpad.exe??


--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

MAP
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Walter R. wrote:
> I routinely ran spybot and ad-aware, in addition to my AVG virus
> checker and the on-line virus check with Trend Micro and RAV.
>
> None of them detected any malware.
>
> Then I installed the MS Antispyware program. It immediately found a
> Trojan: iteye, located in c:/windows\system32\notpad.exe . It is
> shown as a high threat level.
>
> Why do all these other programs not detect something as obvious as
> notpad.exe??

Looks like a Trojan.

http://www.greatis.com/appdata/d/n/notpad.exe_Removal.htm

http://www.google.as/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-36,GGLD:en&q=notpad%2Eexe

--
Mike Pawlak

Crouchie1998
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I have just answered this question in another newsgroup. Stop keep cross
posting please, Walter:

Please read what I wrote in the other newsgroup

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Walter R.
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Your response in the other newsgroup was worthless because you did not read
my question.

Please refrain from acting like a NG cop. Read a post before you respond to
it.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-
"Crouchie1998" <crouchie1998@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:eFAeg9hcFHA.2980@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>I have just answered this question in another newsgroup. Stop keep cross
> posting please, Walter:
>
> Please read what I wrote in the other newsgroup
>
> Crouchie1998
> BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
>
>

N. Miller
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 19:23:13 -0700, Walter R. wrote:

> I routinely ran spybot and ad-aware, in addition to my AVG virus checker and
> the on-line virus check with Trend Micro and RAV.
>
> None of them detected any malware.
>
> Then I installed the MS Antispyware program. It immediately found a Trojan:
> iteye, located in c:/windows\system32\notpad.exe . It is shown as a high
> threat level.
>
> Why do all these other programs not detect something as obvious as
> notpad.exe??

Maybe because a Trojan Horse is not a virus?

--
Norman
~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Crouchie1998
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
You shouldn't have been posting your question in the security newsgroup
anyway, Walter.

The information I gave you was correct.

You should be careful of 2 things:

1) How you treat people because they won't help you if you are rude or in
the wrong newsgroup

2) Installing & using beta products. Microsoft's Spyware program is full of
bugs

I used to have Adware Away installed & that used to say my system was clean
until I installed Spybot, which picked up on many other things.

Have you contacted Spybot or Ad Away & let them know that it hasn't detected
the backdoor trojan which you have on your computer? No, I guess you wanted
help, but you're not prepared to spend a few mins. to help others. Also,
there are several thousand trojans around & for example Spybot may pick up
on 100 or so of them.

You also use that cheap AVG virus checker whereas, I run Symantec Antivirus
9 Corporate Edition which wouldn't have let it past in the first place.

We can see you're using XP, so, why didn't you set your firewall up to
automatically block it?

Lastly, if I see that you have posted anything in the wrong newsgroup in
future I will then tell you. If I then see a question that you have posted &
I KNOW the solution then forget it. You have got my back up & I shalln't be
giving you any of my 25 years experience in computing from now on. You will
be the loser when it comes to the crunch, as you are always posting simple
solutioned questions because for a techie you make a bad novice.

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE

Mark Randall
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Crouchie1998" <crouchie1998@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:%23WFJjSkcFHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You shouldn't have been posting your question in the security newsgroup
> anyway, Walter.

I think someone can get away with using a security newsgroup once to ask
about a virus...

> 2) Installing & using beta products. Microsoft's Spyware program is full
> of
> bugs

Yet its almost release version, second beta or release immenant.

> I used to have Adware Away installed & that used to say my system was
> clean
> until I installed Spybot, which picked up on many other things.
>
> Have you contacted Spybot or Ad Away & let them know that it hasn't
> detected
> the backdoor trojan which you have on your computer? No, I guess you
> wanted
> help, but you're not prepared to spend a few mins. to help others. Also,
> there are several thousand trojans around & for example Spybot may pick up
> on 100 or so of them.

They are not designed to, they are not anti-virus programs.

> You also use that cheap AVG virus checker whereas, I run Symantec
> Antivirus
> 9 Corporate Edition which wouldn't have let it past in the first place.

Which is all very good until it somehow slips net stop <cc#####> onto the
command stack...

> We can see you're using XP, so, why didn't you set your firewall up to
> automatically block it?

Its outgoing communications, dial home... Windows Firewall only blocks
incoming, which is its big flaw really - it doesnt authenticate outgoing
data, hence is useless for this kind of thing. The configuration to change
this is long, detailed, needs you to know every port and loophole.. and just
isnt worth it.

--
- Mark Randall
http://zetech.swehli.com

David H. Lipman
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
From: "Walter R." <wer25@example.com>

| I routinely ran spybot and ad-aware, in addition to my AVG virus checker and
| the on-line virus check with Trend Micro and RAV.
|
| None of them detected any malware.
|
| Then I installed the MS Antispyware program. It immediately found a Trojan:
| iteye, located in c:/windows\system32\notpad.exe . It is shown as a high
| threat level.
|
| Why do all these other programs not detect something as obvious as
| notpad.exe??
|
| --
| Walter
| www.rationality.net
| -
|

Walter:

To be sure of what you are dealing with, please submit c:\windows\system32\notpad.exe to
Virus Total --
http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
The submission will then be tested against 18 different AV vendor's scanners.

Another way to submit is to send the suspect file to the following email address
scan<at>virustotal.com
{ replace <at> with @ } with only the word SCAN as the subject.

Then we will know if it is somethingg to worry about, what catches it and a course of action
if needed.

Please post back the EXACT results.

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm


Is notpad a virus?