Microsoft AntiSpyware



Linda-Louise
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I have been trying to get the Microsoft AntiSpyware off of my system. It is
beta 1 and has messed up. Anyhow, it won't be removed at all. Not through
Add and Remove on XP PRO, nor through the Search program. It comes up with
an error box that states: Error 1606: Could not access Network location
%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\. When I put this program in my system, there was
a girl on the phone with me from Microsoft helping me and she said to block
this when it came up. I had written it down so I would know what to try to
unblock if needed. I know most programs have a restore function of some
kind. Anyhow, when I went to try and UNBLOCK this, it was totally gone. Now
I am stuck with a program that is not complete and is still on my system. I
want it off my system. PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM. THANK YOU

Malke
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Linda-Louise wrote:

> I have been trying to get the Microsoft AntiSpyware off of my system.
> It is
> beta 1 and has messed up. Anyhow, it won't be removed at all. Not
> through
> Add and Remove on XP PRO, nor through the Search program. It comes up
> with
> an error box that states: Error 1606: Could not access Network
> location
> %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\. When I put this program in my system,
> there was a girl on the phone with me from Microsoft helping me and
> she said to block
> this when it came up. I had written it down so I would know what to
> try to
> unblock if needed. I know most programs have a restore function of
> some
> kind. Anyhow, when I went to try and UNBLOCK this, it was totally
> gone. Now
> I am stuck with a program that is not complete and is still on my
> system. I
> want it off my system. PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM. THANK YOU

Please post your question in one of the newsgroups set up specifically
for the Beta MS AntiSpyware program. Since the regulars who post there
have extensive experience with this program, someone will be able to
help you:

At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
newsgroups:

- microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
- microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:

http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):

- NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
- Account name: privatenews\spyware
- Password: spyware

NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Linda-Louise
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Thank you for your input.

I did get it fixed on my own and it is working ok right now.I had to find a
couple of folders that the antispyware had moved on me. I put thm back in
the correct place and it worked well. I finally got it all off of my system
and will never put it back on this system again. That is the best way to not
have problems with a program. Oneday maybe Microsoft will get it together
and have a good program for antispyware. One never knows for sure. At least
I have learned not to use BETA program again.

Again, thank you for your help.

"Malke" wrote:

Please post your question in one of the newsgroups set up specifically
> for the Beta MS AntiSpyware program. Since the regulars who post there
> have extensive experience with this program, someone will be able to
> help you:
>
> At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
> AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
> newsgroups:
>
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>
> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
> newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:
>
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>
> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
> information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
>
> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
> - Password: spyware
>
> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
>
> Linda-Louise wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to get the Microsoft AntiSpyware off of my system.
> > It is
> > beta 1 and has messed up. Anyhow, it won't be removed at all. Not
> > through
> > Add and Remove on XP PRO, nor through the Search program. It comes up
> > with
> > an error box that states: Error 1606: Could not access Network
> > location
> > %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\. When I put this program in my system,
> > there was a girl on the phone with me from Microsoft helping me and
> > she said to block
> > this when it came up. I had written it down so I would know what to
> > try to
> > unblock if needed. I know most programs have a restore function of
> > some
> > kind. Anyhow, when I went to try and UNBLOCK this, it was totally
> > gone. Now
> > I am stuck with a program that is not complete and is still on my
> > system. I
> > want it off my system. PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM. THANK YOU
>
> Please post your question in one of the newsgroups set up specifically
> for the Beta MS AntiSpyware program. Since the regulars who post there
> have extensive experience with this program, someone will be able to
> help you:
>
> At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
> AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
> newsgroups:
>
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
>
> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
> newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:
>
> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>
> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
> information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
>
> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
> - Password: spyware
>
> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
>

Malke
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Linda-Louise wrote:

> Thank you for your input.
>
> I did get it fixed on my own and it is working ok right now.I had to
> find a
> couple of folders that the antispyware had moved on me. I put thm
> back in
> the correct place and it worked well. I finally got it all off of my
> system
> and will never put it back on this system again. That is the best way
> to not
> have problems with a program. Oneday maybe Microsoft will get it
> together
> and have a good program for antispyware. One never knows for sure.
> At least I have learned not to use BETA program again.
>

MS AntiSpyware may very well turn out to be a good program, but the most
important lesson you got out of this is in your last sentence. One of
the Golden Computing Rules is "Thou Shalt Not Use Beta Software On A
Production Machine". The attending corollary to that is "Only Use Beta
Software If You Know What You Are Doing And Don't Care About Hosing
Your Machine".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Edward W. Thompson
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:O9aIx0daFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Linda-Louise wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your input.
>>
>> I did get it fixed on my own and it is working ok right now.I had to
>> find a
>> couple of folders that the antispyware had moved on me. I put thm
>> back in
>> the correct place and it worked well. I finally got it all off of my
>> system
>> and will never put it back on this system again. That is the best way
>> to not
>> have problems with a program. Oneday maybe Microsoft will get it
>> together
>> and have a good program for antispyware. One never knows for sure.
>> At least I have learned not to use BETA program again.
>>
>
snip

A few comments:

1. The MS Antispyware program is hardly a Beta as the program was
purchased as a fully developed program from Giant. MS may and likely did
make some mods. but these mods. were more of the nature of an update. I
know MS call the program Beta and they may have good reasons for doing so.
2. MS Antispyware is likely installed on thousands, probably millions of
machines. It has been installed on my machines since it was released and
has functioned without problems whatsoever. The likelyhood is that the
problem you have expereinced has nothing to do with MS Antispyware and more
to do with your inability to manage your machine. If there is a problem
with the software in the manner you described, (moving folders) don't you
think it would be repeatable and others would have reported it by now?
3. Your unfounded snide remarks about MS and its programming ability are
uncalled for and add nothing to your post. Your remark is fashionable and
says a lot about you.

Peter Foldes
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Not exactly as you describe. But that is your opinion . A Beta is a Beta. More than a few modifications in there. Lots of new lines that Giant did not have in that software but were added by MS. Not until you run into a problem with a Beta will you realize what Malke is saying.

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:eiQbAUlaFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
> news:O9aIx0daFHA.2884@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Linda-Louise wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you for your input.
>>>
>>> I did get it fixed on my own and it is working ok right now.I had to
>>> find a
>>> couple of folders that the antispyware had moved on me. I put thm
>>> back in
>>> the correct place and it worked well. I finally got it all off of my
>>> system
>>> and will never put it back on this system again. That is the best way
>>> to not
>>> have problems with a program. Oneday maybe Microsoft will get it
>>> together
>>> and have a good program for antispyware. One never knows for sure.
>>> At least I have learned not to use BETA program again.
>>>
>>
> snip
>
> A few comments:
>
> 1. The MS Antispyware program is hardly a Beta as the program was
> purchased as a fully developed program from Giant. MS may and likely did
> make some mods. but these mods. were more of the nature of an update. I
> know MS call the program Beta and they may have good reasons for doing so.
> 2. MS Antispyware is likely installed on thousands, probably millions of
> machines. It has been installed on my machines since it was released and
> has functioned without problems whatsoever. The likelyhood is that the
> problem you have expereinced has nothing to do with MS Antispyware and more
> to do with your inability to manage your machine. If there is a problem
> with the software in the manner you described, (moving folders) don't you
> think it would be repeatable and others would have reported it by now?
> 3. Your unfounded snide remarks about MS and its programming ability are
> uncalled for and add nothing to your post. Your remark is fashionable and
> says a lot about you.
>
>

Malke
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Peter Foldes wrote:

> Not exactly as you describe. But that is your opinion . A Beta is a
> Beta. More than a few modifications in there. Lots of new lines that
> Giant did not have in that software but were added by MS. Not until
> you run into a problem with a Beta will you realize what Malke is
> saying.
>
Thanks, Peter. I was actually surprised that Mr. Thompson had such a
violent reaction to my post, which I didn't make as a snide attack on
MS products at all. As you understood, I was just stating a fact about
running beta software. I'm happy that Mr. Thompson has had a good
experience running beta software, but it isn't something I would
suggest for most people, especially people who aren't particularly
computer-savvy. I personally only run beta software on a testbed
machine and don't put it on clients' machines. It doesn't matter to me
what company released the beta software - you get enough problems with
production code!

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Edward W. Thompson
07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
news:O%239ok6paFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>
>> Not exactly as you describe. But that is your opinion . A Beta is a
>> Beta. More than a few modifications in there. Lots of new lines that
>> Giant did not have in that software but were added by MS. Not until
>> you run into a problem with a Beta will you realize what Malke is
>> saying.
>>
> Thanks, Peter. I was actually surprised that Mr. Thompson had such a
> violent reaction to my post, which I didn't make as a snide attack on
> MS products at all. As you understood, I was just stating a fact about
> running beta software. I'm happy that Mr. Thompson has had a good
> experience running beta software, but it isn't something I would
> suggest for most people, especially people who aren't particularly
> computer-savvy. I personally only run beta software on a testbed
> machine and don't put it on clients' machines. It doesn't matter to me
> what company released the beta software - you get enough problems with
> production code!
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

My comment re 'snide remarks' was directed at the OP who made them and not
to you. You will note I 'snipped' your response in my post to indicate that
my comments were addressed to the original message. I apologize if that
confused you.

However, I still maintain that the problems experienced by the OP i.e. that
MS Antispyware moved folders, as likely erroneous. It seems reasonable to
conclude that if a program has been in use by thousands perhaps millions for
a significant time, programming errors of this sort would have been
detected and reported by others. An isolated problem by one user does not
justfy the disparaging remarks made and are seemingly supported by you.

With respect to 'beta' software, I would not expect an IT professional.to
install software under development onto a client's machine but that was not
the subject of the post or my response to it. Lets not make mountains out
of molehills!

My criticism of the OP's 'snide remark' hardly qualifies as a 'violent
reaction'


Microsoft AntiSpyware