XP OE6 - Catch up not working



SteveK
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Lately the newsgroups' catch-up is no longer working - it always shows me
some thousands messages 'not read' even I did a catch-up on this ng. I did
reset the ng and even unsubscribed/subscribed and no joy..

What's wrong?




---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 12/05/2005
Tested on: 15/05/2005 10:24:31 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Jim Pickering
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Did you allow an antivirus program to remain running in the background
during an install of the update to SP2? If so, your installation may be
corrupted. I'd try uninstalling it, then reboot and shut down any antivirus
program completely, then try reinstalling it.

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q875350

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

There is also the possibility that the identity you are using may be
corrupted. Try creating a new identity, switch to it, set up a news server
account and download a list of newsgroups and test it. See if it works
there. If all is well, you can import your messages into the new identity
using OEs menu, File/Import/Messages. Good luck.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=F9F51EF1-4AE3-4D23-B2D8-1171988A62D6

Please deliver feedback to the newsgroup, so that others can be helped. No
one gets paid to help here, and the response rate from those that are helped
is less than 4-5%. If that were how medical advancements were made we would
all have died years ago. Thanks.


"SteveK" <nospam@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:ulFb2ROWFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Lately the newsgroups' catch-up is no longer working - it always shows me
> some thousands messages 'not read' even I did a catch-up on this ng. I did
> reset the ng and even unsubscribed/subscribed and no joy..
>
> What's wrong?
>
>
>
> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
> Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 12/05/2005
> Tested on: 15/05/2005 10:24:31 AM
> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
>

Steve K
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
"Jim Pickering" <jim.pickering@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23uB5ekOWFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
> Did you allow an antivirus program to remain running in the background
> during an install of the update to SP2? If so, your installation may be
> corrupted. I'd try uninstalling it, then reboot and shut down any
> antivirus program completely, then try reinstalling it.
>
> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q875350
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>
> There is also the possibility that the identity you are using may be
> corrupted. Try creating a new identity, switch to it, set up a news
> server account and download a list of newsgroups and test it. See if it
> works there. If all is well, you can import your messages into the new
> identity using OEs menu, File/Import/Messages. Good luck.
>
......


Hello Jim,
creating a new identity did the trick - now, catch up is working again!
My problem has nothing to do with SP2 ore else it was caused by a system
cleanup tool which has an two options to cleanup - newsgroups cache and
subscriptions. These options where checked and I think it caused this mess
in OE6 (catch up). However, otherwise this tool is very powerful and I like
to use it. Btw, I am talking about Windows CleanUp! 4.0

Finally the question - since I can't delete my corrupted main identity as a
whole - can I delete the contents of it since I already imported messages
and mail into the new identity?

thx




---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 12/05/2005
Tested on: 15/05/2005 4:00:09 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Steve K
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
"Steve K" <nospam@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:e4mNZNRWFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> "Jim Pickering" <jim.pickering@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23uB5ekOWFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
>> Did you allow an antivirus program to remain running in the background
>> during an install of the update to SP2? If so, your installation may be
>> corrupted. I'd try uninstalling it, then reboot and shut down any
>> antivirus program completely, then try reinstalling it.
>>
>> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q875350
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>>
>> There is also the possibility that the identity you are using may be
>> corrupted. Try creating a new identity, switch to it, set up a news
>> server account and download a list of newsgroups and test it. See if it
>> works there. If all is well, you can import your messages into the new
>> identity using OEs menu, File/Import/Messages. Good luck.
>>
> .....
>
>
> Hello Jim,
> creating a new identity did the trick - now, catch up is working again!
> My problem has nothing to do with SP2 ore else it was caused by a system
> cleanup tool which has an two options to cleanup - newsgroups cache and
> subscriptions. These options where checked and I think it caused this mess
> in OE6 (catch up). However, otherwise this tool is very powerful and I
> like to use it. Btw, I am talking about Windows CleanUp! 4.0
>
> Finally the question - since I can't delete my corrupted main identity as
> a whole - can I delete the contents of it since I already imported
> messages and mail into the new identity?
>
> thx
>

I spoke too soon - same problem!




---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 12/05/2005
Tested on: 15/05/2005 5:08:17 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
"Steve K" <nospam@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:e4mNZNRWFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> "Jim Pickering" <jim.pickering@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23uB5ekOWFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
>> Did you allow an antivirus program to remain running in the background
>> during an install of the update to SP2? If so, your installation may be
>> corrupted. I'd try uninstalling it, then reboot and shut down any
>> antivirus program completely, then try reinstalling it.
>>
>> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q875350
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>>
>> There is also the possibility that the identity you are using may be
>> corrupted. Try creating a new identity, switch to it, set up a news
>> server account and download a list of newsgroups and test it. See if it
>> works there. If all is well, you can import your messages into the new
>> identity using OEs menu, File/Import/Messages. Good luck.
>>
> .....
>
>
> Hello Jim,
>
> Finally the question - since I can't delete my corrupted main identity as
> a
> whole - can I delete the contents of it since I already imported messages
> and mail into the new identity?
>
> thx

You can delete the contents. In the working Identity, go to Tools | Options
| Maintenance |
Store Folder and write down where OE is storing its files. Go there with
Windows Explorer and delete the folder for the other identity. You will
probably have to set Windows Explorer to Show hidden files and folders.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Jim Pickering
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
"Steve K" <SpamPrevention@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:ev0%23dzRWFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>
> I spoke too soon - same problem!

In that case, I'd suspect some type of parasite. See the below links:

Go here for info:
http://aumha.org/a/tshoot.php#malware

And for a quick check:
http://aumha.org/a/noads.php
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=F9F51EF1-4AE3-4D23-B2D8-1171988A62D6

Please deliver feedback to the newsgroup, so that others can be helped. No
one gets paid to help here, and the response rate from those that are helped
is less than 4-5%. If that were how medical advancements were made we would
all have died years ago. Thanks.

Steve K
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:O$gJtrWWFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl
> "Steve K" <nospam@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
> news:e4mNZNRWFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
>> "Jim Pickering" <jim.pickering@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23uB5ekOWFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
>>> Did you allow an antivirus program to remain running in the background
>>> during an install of the update to SP2? If so, your installation may be
>>> corrupted. I'd try uninstalling it, then reboot and shut down any
>>> antivirus program completely, then try reinstalling it.
>>>
>>> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q875350
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>>>
>>> There is also the possibility that the identity you are using may be
>>> corrupted. Try creating a new identity, switch to it, set up a news
>>> server account and download a list of newsgroups and test it. See if it
>>> works there. If all is well, you can import your messages into the new
>>> identity using OEs menu, File/Import/Messages. Good luck.
>>>
>> .....
>>
>>
>> Hello Jim,
>>
>> Finally the question - since I can't delete my corrupted main identity as
>> a
>> whole - can I delete the contents of it since I already imported messages
>> and mail into the new identity?
>>
>> thx
>
> You can delete the contents. In the working Identity, go to Tools |
> Options
>> Maintenance |
> Store Folder and write down where OE is storing its files. Go there with
> Windows Explorer and delete the folder for the other identity. You will
> probably have to set Windows Explorer to Show hidden files and folders.


Thanks, Frank, will do as advised ..




---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 12/05/2005
Tested on: 16/05/2005 9:02:04 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Steve K
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
"Jim Pickering" <jim.pickering@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:O3rxDyWWFHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
> "Steve K" <SpamPrevention@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
> news:ev0%23dzRWFHA.3636@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>
>> I spoke too soon - same problem!
>
> In that case, I'd suspect some type of parasite. See the below links:
>
> Go here for info:
> http://aumha.org/a/tshoot.php#malware
>
> And for a quick check:
> http://aumha.org/a/noads.php


Thanks again, Jim, did as advised and will see if it works out - I am using
Adaware daily, downloaded the shredder and have run it without results. I
have an on access virus scanner running since a few month. I've SP2
installed since it came out a long time ago. Lately I have lots of Netsky
viruses coming in my mailbox. Seems to be sorta epidemic going on. Funny is
only some Ng's show this problem (now) which already is an improvement. It
can take few days until the problem fully comes back. My last resort is a
clean wipe of XP.

greetings from Brisbane




---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-2, 12/05/2005
Tested on: 16/05/2005 9:17:21 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Robert Aldwinckle
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
"SteveK" <nospam@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:ulFb2ROWFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Lately the newsgroups' catch-up is no longer working - it always shows me
> some thousands messages 'not read' even I did a catch-up on this ng. I did
> reset the ng and even unsubscribed/subscribed and no joy..
>
> What's wrong?


Is it really *this* newsgroup that you are having trouble with?
On server: msnews.microsoft.com?

If not, you should be looking at a troubleshooting log with the view
to seeing if the server involved is not renumbering the messages.
That would cause the same symptom but leave OE blameless.

Another thing you could do to check on the factors involved in your
symptom is make a copy of the newsgroup before downloading new
messages. Then you would have some old headers to compare
against the newly downloaded ones. Consider in particular the
Xref: headers. Even if the Message-ID are the same, if the Xref:
numbers are different in the two caches that would explain your symptom.

Unfortunately we have to download both headers and bodies to make
OE show us a message's sequence number in its Xref: header.
If that is too much bother you could alternatively capture an NNTP
packet trace of just the headers being downloaded (e.g., in an XOVER
reply) and analyse them. For example, XP Pro users can use netcap
from its Support Tools package. Etc.


HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Jim Pickering
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Good luck and thanks for the feedback. If your interest is only in marking
all messages as read, I'd suggest trying Ctrl+A, followed by Ctrl+Q which is
quicker. I'd also disable email scanning which provides absolutely no added
protection against virus infection for email. Indeed, you might even want
to read the info in this article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=F9F51EF1-4AE3-4D23-B2D8-1171988A62D6

>
> Thanks again, Jim, did as advised and will see if it works out - I am
> using Adaware daily, downloaded the shredder and have run it without
> results. I have an on access virus scanner running since a few month. I've
> SP2 installed since it came out a long time ago. Lately I have lots of
> Netsky viruses coming in my mailbox. Seems to be sorta epidemic going on.
> Funny is only some Ng's show this problem (now) which already is an
> improvement. It can take few days until the problem fully comes back. My
> last resort is a clean wipe of XP.
>
> greetings from Brisbane
>

PA Bear
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Or CTRL+SHIFT+A

Jim Pickering wrote:
> Good luck and thanks for the feedback. If your interest is only in
> marking all messages as read, I'd suggest trying Ctrl+A, followed by
> Ctrl+Q which is quicker.

Steve K
07-09-2005, 11:20 PM
"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
news:eZT77VjWFHA.3876@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> "SteveK" <nospam@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
> news:ulFb2ROWFHA.548@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Lately the newsgroups' catch-up is no longer working - it always shows me
>> some thousands messages 'not read' even I did a catch-up on this ng. I
>> did
>> reset the ng and even unsubscribed/subscribed and no joy..
>>
>> What's wrong?
>
>
> Is it really *this* newsgroup that you are having trouble with?
> On server: msnews.microsoft.com?
>
......

Hi Rob,
originally all newsgroups/servers listed in OE have been affected. Some ngs
I could "catch up" but after the next ng sync/download all "xxx not
downloaded messages" were back again.
Following Jim's advice I created a new identity and imported all messages
and the address book - bad, that I could not import account settings. All
seemed well for a while and then some ngs developed the old problem again.
However, the problem slowly vanished since and currently all looks fine
again. You may be right that the ng-server(s) was the problem. I even
guessed a connection to the Netsky-D virus which I am currently receiving
daily. Funny is all infected e-mails are from German servers but I have not
a single (e-mail) contact to Germany.

Thx for helping and..

greetings from Brisbane

Steve





---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-0, 16/05/2005
Tested on: 17/05/2005 8:38:49 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com


XP OE6 - Catch up not working