Re: Customized View - OE as Outlook Newsreader



Robert Aldwinckle
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:eDOJPyYUFHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
....
<QP>
Thunderbird can be set to View Threads with Unread - ie if a thread
has an unread message in it, the *whole* thread including the unread
message displays. Is there an equivalent setting in OE, or can one
be "customized"?
</QP>

What is the advantage of this over Ctrl-Shift-U? (or toolbar button
equivalent?)

BTW if you are mostly just reading Unread messages (e.g. using view
Hide Read Messages) but need to occasionally see some of those
hidden messages, provided you use (Read tab option) Automatically
expand grouped messages (Alt-T,O,Ctrl-Tab,x), you can switch views
without losing your place. If, in addition you use the Views bar and
give the view in the Views bar keyboard focus (e.g. by doubleclicking on it)
you can switch views by (for example) typing the first letter of the view
you want to switch to. (If you wanted to switch back to a view which
was restricted to unread messages you might also need to first mark
the message being viewed as being unread, e.g., by pressing Menu-n)


HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Gordon
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
|| "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
|| news:eDOJPyYUFHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl ...
|| <QP>
|| Thunderbird can be set to View Threads with Unread - ie if a thread
|| has an unread message in it, the *whole* thread including the unread
|| message displays. Is there an equivalent setting in OE, or can one
|| be "customized"?
|| </QP>
||
|| What is the advantage of this over Ctrl-Shift-U? (or toolbar button
|| equivalent?)
||
|| BTW if you are mostly just reading Unread messages (e.g. using view
|| Hide Read Messages) but need to occasionally see some of those
|| hidden messages, provided you use (Read tab option) Automatically
|| expand grouped messages (Alt-T,O,Ctrl-Tab,x), you can switch views
|| without losing your place. If, in addition you use the Views bar
|| and
|| give the view in the Views bar keyboard focus (e.g. by
|| doubleclicking on it)
|| you can switch views by (for example) typing the first letter of the
|| view
|| you want to switch to. (If you wanted to switch back to a view
|| which
|| was restricted to unread messages you might also need to first mark
|| the message being viewed as being unread, e.g., by pressing Menu-n)
||

Thanks - I'll try some of those and see how I get on!


--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
|| "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
|| news:eDOJPyYUFHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl ...
|| <QP>
|| Thunderbird can be set to View Threads with Unread - ie if a thread
|| has an unread message in it, the *whole* thread including the unread
|| message displays. Is there an equivalent setting in OE, or can one
|| be "customized"?
|| </QP>
||
|| What is the advantage of this over Ctrl-Shift-U? (or toolbar button
|| equivalent?)
||
|| BTW if you are mostly just reading Unread messages (e.g. using view
|| Hide Read Messages) but need to occasionally see some of those
|| hidden messages, provided you use (Read tab option) Automatically
|| expand grouped messages (Alt-T,O,Ctrl-Tab,x), you can switch views
|| without losing your place. If, in addition you use the Views bar
|| and
|| give the view in the Views bar keyboard focus (e.g. by
|| doubleclicking on it)
|| you can switch views by (for example) typing the first letter of the
|| view
|| you want to switch to. (If you wanted to switch back to a view
|| which
|| was restricted to unread messages you might also need to first mark
|| the message being viewed as being unread, e.g., by pressing Menu-n)
||
||

Ctrl-Shift-U doesn't do anything. What's it supposed to do?


--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

PA Bear
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
<snip>
> BTW if you are mostly just reading Unread messages (e.g. using view
> Hide Read Messages) but need to occasionally see some of those
> hidden messages, provided you use (Read tab option) Automatically
> expand grouped messages (Alt-T,O,Ctrl-Tab,x), you can switch views
> without losing your place. If, in addition you use the Views bar and
> give the view in the Views bar keyboard focus (e.g. by doubleclicking on
> it) you can switch views by (for example) typing the first letter of the
> view
> you want to switch to. (If you wanted to switch back to a view which
> was restricted to unread messages you might also need to first mark
> the message being viewed as being unread, e.g., by pressing Menu-n)

OETool adds Toolbar buttons for many of these:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/Default.aspx
--
~PA Bear

Gordon
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
PA Bear wrote:
|| Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
|| <snip>
||| BTW if you are mostly just reading Unread messages (e.g. using view
||| Hide Read Messages) but need to occasionally see some of those
||| hidden messages, provided you use (Read tab option) Automatically
||| expand grouped messages (Alt-T,O,Ctrl-Tab,x), you can switch views
||| without losing your place. If, in addition you use the Views bar
||| and give the view in the Views bar keyboard focus (e.g. by
||| doubleclicking on it) you can switch views by (for example) typing
||| the first letter of the view
||| you want to switch to. (If you wanted to switch back to a view
||| which was restricted to unread messages you might also need to
||| first mark
||| the message being viewed as being unread, e.g., by pressing Menu-n)
||
|| OETool adds Toolbar buttons for many of these:
|| http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/Default.aspx
|| --
|| ~PA Bear

I've just downloaded it from the above link but About on the systray icon
says v1.8 - the webpage says 1.95 is available?

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

PA Bear
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Gordon wrote:
> > > OETool adds Toolbar buttons for many of these:
> > > http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/Default.aspx
> > > --
> > > ~PA Bear
>
> I've just downloaded it from the above link but About on the systray icon
> says v1.8 - the webpage says 1.95 is available?

Try a fresh download. Steve said he's corrected the problem.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Gordon
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
PA Bear wrote:
|| Gordon wrote:
||||| OETool adds Toolbar buttons for many of these:
||||| http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/Default.aspx
||||| --
||||| ~PA Bear
|||
||| I've just downloaded it from the above link but About on the
||| systray icon says v1.8 - the webpage says 1.95 is available?
||
|| Try a fresh download. Steve said he's corrected the problem.

he's right - thanks!

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Robert Aldwinckle
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:%23eMvEHwVFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
....
> Ctrl-Shift-U doesn't do anything. What's it supposed to do?

In the context of an open newsgroup's message list,
with View, Group messages by conversation checked (Alt-V,V,G),
see also Alt-V,N,t : Next Unread Conversa_tion Ctrl+Shift+U

BTW it also works when the focus is in the Preview pane
but I find it most convenient when the focus is the message list.
Then, for example, one can do things such as: Press End and
click on the Next Unread Conversation toolbar button to position
at the top of the message list the first message of the next thread
which contains an unread message. (Just using the command
without pressing End first, typically causes the same message
to be positioned at the bottom of the list. In that case you can
achieve the same result then by pressing Ctrl-PageDown.)


<VBSEG>


Robert
---


> Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> || "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> || news:eDOJPyYUFHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl ...
> || <QP>
> || Thunderbird can be set to View Threads with Unread - ie if a thread
> || has an unread message in it, the *whole* thread including the unread
> || message displays. Is there an equivalent setting in OE, or can one
> || be "customized"?
> || </QP>
> ||
> || What is the advantage of this over Ctrl-Shift-U? (or toolbar button
> || equivalent?)

....


Re: Customized View - OE as Outlook Newsreader