"open in new window" problem



bobvader314
07-09-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm having trouble opening pages innew windows, or opening pages that
automatically create a new window. Whenever I open a page in a new window,
the Address bar is blank and nothing happens. When I hit "Stop" or the
shortcut key for "Stop," the URL shows up in the address bar and I get the
standard page that shows up whenever you hit "Stop." Then I hit refresh and
the page loads normally.

I recently reinstalled Norton Internet Security 2004, becasue it was acting
up a bit. It seems like 90% of the problems my computer has are solved by
reinstalling NIS, but no such luck this time. NIS works fine now, but after
reinstalling I started having the problem I described above.

I ran a scan for spyware a few days ago, nothing came up.

I tried the steps described on the one page that shows up in most questions
like mine, but that didn't help. I go down the list, regsvr32 this,
regsvr32 that, and everything works fine until I get to Shell32.dll.
Start>run>regsvr32 Shell32.dll gives the message "Shell32.dll was loaded, but
the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found", etc. I ran a System File
Check, but Shell32.dll didn't turn up as a problem.

I don't know how much of the above is relevant--sorry if I included random
useless details.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Aldwinckle
07-09-2005, 10:15 PM
"bobvader314" <bobvader314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E5D6B1F6-6370-4832-8005-518D80EEA984@microsoft.com...
> I'm having trouble opening pages innew windows, or opening pages that
> automatically create a new window. Whenever I open a page in a new window,
> the Address bar is blank and nothing happens. When I hit "Stop" or the
> shortcut key for "Stop," the URL shows up in the address bar and I get the
> standard page that shows up whenever you hit "Stop." Then I hit refresh and
> the page loads normally.
>
> I recently reinstalled Norton Internet Security 2004, becasue it was acting
> up a bit. It seems like 90% of the problems my computer has are solved by
> reinstalling NIS, but no such luck this time. NIS works fine now, but after
> reinstalling I started having the problem I described above.
>
> I ran a scan for spyware a few days ago, nothing came up.
>
> I tried the steps described on the one page that shows up in most questions
> like mine, but that didn't help. I go down the list, regsvr32 this,
> regsvr32 that, and everything works fine until I get to Shell32.dll.
> Start>run>regsvr32 Shell32.dll gives the message "Shell32.dll was loaded, but
> the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found", etc. I ran a System File
> Check, but Shell32.dll didn't turn up as a problem.
>
> I don't know how much of the above is relevant--sorry if I included random
> useless details.


Always disclose your OS when you need help. Otherwise, for one thing,
we can't tell what tools you should have available for diagnostics or repair.

However, you have inadvertently disclosed that you don't have NT5x.
(shell32.dll can only be registered in either W2K or XP.)
Therefore, you should be able to do a full IE Repair. (Ref. KB194177)

BTW (note for W2K lurkers) only XP users are (usually) totally out of luck
regarding IE Repair. See example use of setupwbv.dll at bottom of
article and substitute IE6Maintenance for the entrypoint name.


Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bobvader314
07-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm running Windows 98 (not SE) and Internet Explorer
version 6.0.2800.1106IC. The page you referenced refers to IE 5, should I go
ahead and try the fix even though I'm running 6?

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "bobvader314" <bobvader314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E5D6B1F6-6370-4832-8005-518D80EEA984@microsoft.com...
> > I'm having trouble opening pages innew windows, or opening pages that
> > automatically create a new window. Whenever I open a page in a new window,
> > the Address bar is blank and nothing happens. When I hit "Stop" or the
> > shortcut key for "Stop," the URL shows up in the address bar and I get the
> > standard page that shows up whenever you hit "Stop." Then I hit refresh and
> > the page loads normally.
> >
> > I recently reinstalled Norton Internet Security 2004, becasue it was acting
> > up a bit. It seems like 90% of the problems my computer has are solved by
> > reinstalling NIS, but no such luck this time. NIS works fine now, but after
> > reinstalling I started having the problem I described above.
> >
> > I ran a scan for spyware a few days ago, nothing came up.
> >
> > I tried the steps described on the one page that shows up in most questions
> > like mine, but that didn't help. I go down the list, regsvr32 this,
> > regsvr32 that, and everything works fine until I get to Shell32.dll.
> > Start>run>regsvr32 Shell32.dll gives the message "Shell32.dll was loaded, but
> > the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found", etc. I ran a System File
> > Check, but Shell32.dll didn't turn up as a problem.
> >
> > I don't know how much of the above is relevant--sorry if I included random
> > useless details.
>
>
> Always disclose your OS when you need help. Otherwise, for one thing,
> we can't tell what tools you should have available for diagnostics or repair.
>
> However, you have inadvertently disclosed that you don't have NT5x.
> (shell32.dll can only be registered in either W2K or XP.)
> Therefore, you should be able to do a full IE Repair. (Ref. KB194177)
>
> BTW (note for W2K lurkers) only XP users are (usually) totally out of luck
> regarding IE Repair. See example use of setupwbv.dll at bottom of
> article and substitute IE6Maintenance for the entrypoint name.
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>
>
>

Robert Aldwinckle
07-09-2005, 10:15 PM
"bobvader314" <bobvader314@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D46CA461-DAF6-4B30-B8C2-4975B180430E@microsoft.com
....
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
....
>> you have inadvertently disclosed that you don't have NT5x.
>> (shell32.dll can only be registered in either W2K or XP.)
>> Therefore, you should be able to do a full IE Repair. (Ref. KB194177)
>>
>> BTW (note for W2K lurkers) only XP users are (usually) totally out of luck
>> regarding IE Repair. See example use of setupwbv.dll at bottom of
>> article and substitute IE6Maintenance for the entrypoint name.


> Thanks for the reply. I'm running Windows 98 (not SE) and Internet Explorer
> version 6.0.2800.1106IC. The page you referenced refers to IE 5, should I go
> ahead and try the fix even though I'm running 6?


Look again. It also applies to IE6. Unfortunately its content
hasn't be rewritten to reflect that and relies on the intelligence
of the reader to make the necessary adaptations.

If you can use the UI mentioned by the article then use it;
since you are using IE6 the repair tool will already be adapted
to repair IE6.

If you can't use the UI and have to resort to the command line
(which I was pointing out primarily to W2K users) the following
adaptation of the instruction should suffice:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance

In fact, I just reread the article again myself and now note that
reference to the IE6 version command line *is* in there
finally.


BTW where did you get your IE6 from?
(The IC suffix indicates that it could be a customized
version from an "Internet Content Provider" or perhaps
the residue of one is still affecting a normal install
to some extent.)


Good luck

Robert
---


"open in new window" problem