Enable Cookies



EOW
07-09-2005, 10:03 PM
My father is having problems with his hotmail e-mail account. He is older,
frustrated, and not very computer savvy so I told him I would find out what
is happening and let him know how to fix it (He is in IL and I am in FL, so
it is a little difficult).

To the problem…

He called me a couple days ago and said the following message is coming up
when he tries to sign into Hotmail.

Enable cookies your web browser options are currently set to disable
cookies. To use Net Passport you must enable cookies. Net Passport stores
cookies, small files on your computer that let you sign into Net Passport
participating site for info about how to enable cookies see online help from
your browser.

The web browser (Internet Explorer) I had him check him security level
(which is medium) and add Hotmail to his Trusted sites.

Well my Dad was able to sign in and then following morning and then the next
day he got the same message.

Then the next morning he was able to sign into the account and then got the
same message when sign in that afternoon.

Everyone I ask says it is not the Hotmail site but Internet Explore.
However nobody can give me a way to correrct it form him.
--
Thanks,
EOW

Don Varnau
07-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi,
Hotmail has had some problems recently, but try these steps:
1. Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete files
(and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often recommended
that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)
2. Browse to your Cookies folder and delete any cookies from hotmail, msn or
passport. (Or delete all cookies.)
3. Cookie options are at Internet Options> Privacy. A setting of Low or
Medium should allow these cookies. If you select a Privacy setting other
than "accept all" or "block all" you can use the Edit button to accept or
block cookies from selected sites.
4. Check any third-party security programs to see if one of them is blocking
cookies.
5. Verify that the computer's clock is correct- including the Time Zone.

Additional cookies articles:
814141 - Error Message Your Web Browser Options Are Currently Set to Disable
Cookies...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814141
Q175662 - Error Message Not Accepting Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q175662
299331 - Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299331
Q315207 - Error Message Cannot Open Webpage Because Cookies Are Not Enabled:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315207
Q317689 - Error Message Your Browser Is Not Currently Set to Accept Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q317689
and
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#cookies

Hope this helps,
Don
[MVP- IE/OE]

"EOW" wrote in message
news:FB6714DE-9C35-4027-BD59-F68CC609884E@microsoft.com...
> My father is having problems with his hotmail e-mail account. He is
older,
> frustrated, and not very computer savvy so I told him I would find out
what
> is happening and let him know how to fix it (He is in IL and I am in FL,
so
> it is a little difficult).
>
> To the problem's
>
> He called me a couple days ago and said the following message is coming up

> when he tries to sign into Hotmail.
>
> Enable cookies your web browser options are currently set to disable
> cookies. To use Net Passport you must enable cookies. Net Passport stores
> cookies, small files on your computer that let you sign into Net Passport
> participating site for info about how to enable cookies see online help
from
> your browser.
>
> The web browser (Internet Explorer) I had him check him security level
> (which is medium) and add Hotmail to his Trusted sites.
>
> Well my Dad was able to sign in and then following morning and then the
next
> day he got the same message.
>
> Then the next morning he was able to sign into the account and then got
the
> same message when sign in that afternoon.
>
> Everyone I ask says it is not the Hotmail site but Internet Explore.
> However nobody can give me a way to correrct it form him.
>
> Thanks,
> EOW

pulver
07-09-2005, 10:03 PM
It helped me by changing my link from which I access hotmail ("favourite
link") to www.hotmail.com....and nothing else... not the
passport.net.url.=2balblabla stuff.
Instead of having my cookies set to low according to
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299331
.........

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Hotmail has had some problems recently, but try these steps:
> 1. Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete files
> (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often recommended
> that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)
> 2. Browse to your Cookies folder and delete any cookies from hotmail, msn or
> passport. (Or delete all cookies.)
> 3. Cookie options are at Internet Options> Privacy. A setting of Low or
> Medium should allow these cookies. If you select a Privacy setting other
> than "accept all" or "block all" you can use the Edit button to accept or
> block cookies from selected sites.
> 4. Check any third-party security programs to see if one of them is blocking
> cookies.
> 5. Verify that the computer's clock is correct- including the Time Zone.
>
> Additional cookies articles:
> 814141 - Error Message Your Web Browser Options Are Currently Set to Disable
> Cookies...
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814141
> Q175662 - Error Message Not Accepting Cookies:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q175662
> 299331 - Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299331
> Q315207 - Error Message Cannot Open Webpage Because Cookies Are Not Enabled:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315207
> Q317689 - Error Message Your Browser Is Not Currently Set to Accept Cookies:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q317689
> and
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#cookies
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MVP- IE/OE]
>
> "EOW" wrote in message
> news:FB6714DE-9C35-4027-BD59-F68CC609884E@microsoft.com...
> > My father is having problems with his hotmail e-mail account. He is
> older,
> > frustrated, and not very computer savvy so I told him I would find out
> what
> > is happening and let him know how to fix it (He is in IL and I am in FL,
> so
> > it is a little difficult).
> >
> > To the problem's
> >
> > He called me a couple days ago and said the following message is coming up
>
> > when he tries to sign into Hotmail.
> >
> > Enable cookies your web browser options are currently set to disable
> > cookies. To use Net Passport you must enable cookies. Net Passport stores
> > cookies, small files on your computer that let you sign into Net Passport
> > participating site for info about how to enable cookies see online help
> from
> > your browser.
> >
> > The web browser (Internet Explorer) I had him check him security level
> > (which is medium) and add Hotmail to his Trusted sites.
> >
> > Well my Dad was able to sign in and then following morning and then the
> next
> > day he got the same message.
> >
> > Then the next morning he was able to sign into the account and then got
> the
> > same message when sign in that afternoon.
> >
> > Everyone I ask says it is not the Hotmail site but Internet Explore.
> > However nobody can give me a way to correrct it form him.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > EOW
>
>

MustardMan
07-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I had the exact same problem and all the above checks/fixes did not
apply/work for me.

In my case, the problem was that I had the passport.net site blocked in
IE

goto IE>Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites
and make sure passport.net or hotmail.com is not blocked


--
MustardMan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MustardMan's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12907
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819070885


Enable Cookies