Problems accessing Hotmail Account



Doug Robbins
07-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Have a friend who, since upgrading to Windows XP Professional, when trying
to log into a Hotmail email account via Passport, receives a series of about
5 dialog boxes advising that a program is trying to access something from
one of the trusted sites (not sure of the exact wording of the message) It
is necessary to click on the Yes in each of these dialog boxes to get into
the Hotmail account. There are no sites in the Trusted Sites area.

Does anyone know how to overcome this inconvenience?

--
Thanks in advance,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Jan Il
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi Doug :-)

Here are some troubleshooting suggestions they might try, not knowing if
they may have some 3rd party programs that might be blocking their access or
causing the error messages:

Check your HOSTS file and see if the sites are there.

Also, try adding those sites to your IE Trusted Zone.

Trouble logging into Hotmail
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers_10.htm#hotmail

and...

Tools>Internet Options>Security>Advanced>Custom Level> change each of the
ActiveX Controls setting respectively down the list to the following:

Change the following in order:
Prompt
Disable
Disable
Prompt
Prompt

also......:

Log on as Administrator
Go To Start>Run>type in ReGsvr32.exe softPUB.DLL "
Change the IE Settings: Tools>Internet Options>Security>Setting>set to
Medium or Low...
Check you connection settings and make sure your Proxy settings are correct
if you use them, and if you use LAN, be sure "Proxy server" box is
UNchecked.

Check all security and ActiveX settings in your AV, anti-spyware programs,
3rd party toolbars. Check that Privacy, Internet and Trusted Zones are set
correctly.
Check your firewall for settings and ActiveX blockers.

Go to Tools/InternetOptions/Privacy tab/and then click the Sites tab. Remove
any Domains under Managed Websites that have to do with MSN or MSN Messenger
or MSN Hotmail. These may be blocked cookies. After removing any of these
items, restart IE and see if you can access Hotmail.

Also, uninstall and reinstall MSN Messenger 6 through Add/Remove programs.
(Not
the beta version)

Do you have SpyBot Search & Destroy? Check the following there under Tools
(Advanced Mode) and see if there is anything related to any of the sites you
can't access. When you highlight an item, it gives details about it. If you
find anything, remove it or set to ignore.

HOSTS
ActiveX
Opt Out

If you have SpywareBlaster, check the Internet Explorer tab Block list and
see if there is anything there that looks like the sites you are trying to
access. Remove it or set to ignore. Also, check the Restricted Sites tab
and see if there is anything there, if so, remove or ignore. Check under
the Tools and click the Flash Killer tab and make sure it's unchecked.

Disable the McAfee ActiveX controls Applet filters in the Internet Filter
window when you select Customize your VShield settings

"Your current security settings prohibit running Active X controls on this
page. As a result pages may not display correctly."
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/acxen.htm
or
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN;Q319585&LN=EN

Here are a few others, although I'm not sure they may apply:

- Go to IE6 Tools/Internet Options/Privacy tab, then click Edit. enter
"hotmail.com" and then click the Allow tab. Evidently there is a Hotmail
problem with privacy
settings/corrupted cookies.

- Check in Internet Explorer under Tools/Internet Options/Security that the
user has not changed the password setting from 'prompt for username and
password' to 'anonymous logon' in Internet Zone. The option setting for
anonymous logon
may cause the error.

Make sure that cookie settings aren't too restrictive in Internet Options>
Privacy. Setting passport.com, passport.net, hotmail.com, msn.com as "always
accept" may help. Or a setting of "low" or "accept all" should be OK. More
on privacy settings at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/ie6.mspx

Hope this helps :-)

Jan :)
MS MVP - IE/OE
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm



> Have a friend who, since upgrading to Windows XP Professional, when trying
> to log into a Hotmail email account via Passport, receives a series of
> about 5 dialog boxes advising that a program is trying to access something
> from one of the trusted sites (not sure of the exact wording of the
> message) It is necessary to click on the Yes in each of these dialog
> boxes to get into the Hotmail account. There are no sites in the Trusted
> Sites area.
>
> Does anyone know how to overcome this inconvenience?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance,
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>

PA Bear
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
IE Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites> type in

hotmail.com
(msn.com)
(passport.net)

and Allow All Cookies for each domain.

How to Manage Cookies (IE6)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283185

Troubleshooting Secure Sites in WinXP SP2
(Hotmail and .NET Passport should be treated as Secure Sites)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

Troubleshooting Secure Sites (WinXP/IE6 SP1)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444

Sandi's Secure Sites Page
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites

Use Security and Privacy Features in Internet Explorer 6 (WinXP)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/security/ie6.asp

Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security Settings
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/settings.asp
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security


Doug Robbins wrote:
> Have a friend who, since upgrading to Windows XP Professional, when trying
> to log into a Hotmail email account via Passport, receives a series of
> about 5 dialog boxes advising that a program is trying to access
> something from one of the trusted sites (not sure of the exact wording of
> the message) It is necessary to click on the Yes in each of these dialog
> boxes to get into the Hotmail account. There are no sites in the Trusted
> Sites area.
> Does anyone know how to overcome this inconvenience?

Doug Robbins
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Jan. I'll pass this on.

--
Regards,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
news:O4w1NhiVFHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi Doug :-)
>
> Here are some troubleshooting suggestions they might try, not knowing if
> they may have some 3rd party programs that might be blocking their access
> or causing the error messages:
>
> Check your HOSTS file and see if the sites are there.
>
> Also, try adding those sites to your IE Trusted Zone.
>
> Trouble logging into Hotmail
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers_10.htm#hotmail
>
> and...
>
> Tools>Internet Options>Security>Advanced>Custom Level> change each of the
> ActiveX Controls setting respectively down the list to the following:
>
> Change the following in order:
> Prompt
> Disable
> Disable
> Prompt
> Prompt
>
> also......:
>
> Log on as Administrator
> Go To Start>Run>type in ReGsvr32.exe softPUB.DLL "
> Change the IE Settings: Tools>Internet Options>Security>Setting>set to
> Medium or Low...
> Check you connection settings and make sure your Proxy settings are
> correct
> if you use them, and if you use LAN, be sure "Proxy server" box is
> UNchecked.
>
> Check all security and ActiveX settings in your AV, anti-spyware programs,
> 3rd party toolbars. Check that Privacy, Internet and Trusted Zones are set
> correctly.
> Check your firewall for settings and ActiveX blockers.
>
> Go to Tools/InternetOptions/Privacy tab/and then click the Sites tab.
> Remove
> any Domains under Managed Websites that have to do with MSN or MSN
> Messenger
> or MSN Hotmail. These may be blocked cookies. After removing any of these
> items, restart IE and see if you can access Hotmail.
>
> Also, uninstall and reinstall MSN Messenger 6 through Add/Remove programs.
> (Not
> the beta version)
>
> Do you have SpyBot Search & Destroy? Check the following there under
> Tools
> (Advanced Mode) and see if there is anything related to any of the sites
> you
> can't access. When you highlight an item, it gives details about it. If
> you
> find anything, remove it or set to ignore.
>
> HOSTS
> ActiveX
> Opt Out
>
> If you have SpywareBlaster, check the Internet Explorer tab Block list and
> see if there is anything there that looks like the sites you are trying to
> access. Remove it or set to ignore. Also, check the Restricted Sites tab
> and see if there is anything there, if so, remove or ignore. Check under
> the Tools and click the Flash Killer tab and make sure it's unchecked.
>
> Disable the McAfee ActiveX controls Applet filters in the Internet Filter
> window when you select Customize your VShield settings
>
> "Your current security settings prohibit running Active X controls on this
> page. As a result pages may not display correctly."
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/acxen.htm
> or
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN;Q319585&LN=EN
>
> Here are a few others, although I'm not sure they may apply:
>
> - Go to IE6 Tools/Internet Options/Privacy tab, then click Edit. enter
> "hotmail.com" and then click the Allow tab. Evidently there is a Hotmail
> problem with privacy
> settings/corrupted cookies.
>
> - Check in Internet Explorer under Tools/Internet Options/Security that
> the
> user has not changed the password setting from 'prompt for username and
> password' to 'anonymous logon' in Internet Zone. The option setting for
> anonymous logon
> may cause the error.
>
> Make sure that cookie settings aren't too restrictive in Internet Options>
> Privacy. Setting passport.com, passport.net, hotmail.com, msn.com as
> "always
> accept" may help. Or a setting of "low" or "accept all" should be OK. More
> on privacy settings at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/ie6.mspx
>
> Hope this helps :-)
>
> Jan :)
> MS MVP - IE/OE
> Smiles are meant to be shared,
> that's why they're so contagious.
>
> Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
> How to make a good newsgroup post:
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>
>
>> Have a friend who, since upgrading to Windows XP Professional, when
>> trying to log into a Hotmail email account via Passport, receives a
>> series of about 5 dialog boxes advising that a program is trying to
>> access something from one of the trusted sites (not sure of the exact
>> wording of the message) It is necessary to click on the Yes in each of
>> these dialog boxes to get into the Hotmail account. There are no sites
>> in the Trusted Sites area.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to overcome this inconvenience?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
>>
>

Doug Robbins
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Robert. I'll pass this on.

--
Regards,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:OBYb3RnVFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> IE Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites> type in
>
> hotmail.com
> (msn.com)
> (passport.net)
>
> and Allow All Cookies for each domain.
>
> How to Manage Cookies (IE6)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283185
>
> Troubleshooting Secure Sites in WinXP SP2
> (Hotmail and .NET Passport should be treated as Secure Sites)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700
>
> Troubleshooting Secure Sites (WinXP/IE6 SP1)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444
>
> Sandi's Secure Sites Page
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers2.htm#secure_sites
>
> Use Security and Privacy Features in Internet Explorer 6 (WinXP)
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/security/ie6.asp
>
> Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security Settings
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/settings.asp
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>
>
> Doug Robbins wrote:
>> Have a friend who, since upgrading to Windows XP Professional, when
>> trying
>> to log into a Hotmail email account via Passport, receives a series of
>> about 5 dialog boxes advising that a program is trying to access
>> something from one of the trusted sites (not sure of the exact wording of
>> the message) It is necessary to click on the Yes in each of these dialog
>> boxes to get into the Hotmail account. There are no sites in the Trusted
>> Sites area.
>> Does anyone know how to overcome this inconvenience?
>

driglaz@msn.com
07-09-2005, 11:03 PM
I am not sure if information on http://wwww.deletemycookies.com can
help you in this area but my provide some insight to cookies.

Doug Robbins wrote:
> Have a friend who, since upgrading to Windows XP Professional, when
trying
> to log into a Hotmail email account via Passport, receives a series
of about
> 5 dialog boxes advising that a program is trying to access something
from
> one of the trusted sites (not sure of the exact wording of the
message) It
> is necessary to click on the Yes in each of these dialog boxes to get
into
> the Hotmail account. There are no sites in the Trusted Sites area.
>
> Does anyone know how to overcome this inconvenience?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance,
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP


Problems accessing Hotmail Account