MusicMatch / system restore



Cindy
07-09-2005, 09:54 PM
If I have a song in Dell Musicmatch and do a system restore (I have XP) to a
date prior to adding that song, do I lose that song? Will it show as a
broken link. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me

Galen
07-09-2005, 09:54 PM
In news:%23KsJEM2gFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Cindy <cinb@cox.net> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> If I have a song in Dell Musicmatch and do a system restore (I have
> XP) to a date prior to adding that song, do I lose that song? Will
> it show as a broken link. Thank you in advance for any help you can
> give me

Nope, it should not. System Restore is NOT a backup utility but rather a
utility that restores key system files to those of an earlier time. The file
shouldn't be deleted and the shortcut will likely be the same, and the
shortcut will likely still be there.

Galen
--

"But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Cindy
07-09-2005, 09:54 PM
That is what I thought.......tonight I went to play a song I have played
many times and it showed a 'broken link'. I checked in musicmatch -
file/fix broken links and I had 10 songs that have broken links. Only
once did I do a system restore and that was to 1 day earlier, and I know I
have played the songs that now have broken links after doing the system
restore.
I checked in search and the songs were not there. I do not have a clue
why I lost 10 songs. Thanks for answering.....
"Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23LrDcZ2gFHA.1612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23KsJEM2gFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Cindy <cinb@cox.net> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
>> If I have a song in Dell Musicmatch and do a system restore (I have
>> XP) to a date prior to adding that song, do I lose that song? Will
>> it show as a broken link. Thank you in advance for any help you can
>> give me
>
> Nope, it should not. System Restore is NOT a backup utility but rather a
> utility that restores key system files to those of an earlier time. The
> file shouldn't be deleted and the shortcut will likely be the same, and
> the shortcut will likely still be there.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
>

Galen
07-09-2005, 09:54 PM
In news:O2Ld$k2gFHA.320@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Cindy <cinb@cox.net> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> That is what I thought.......tonight I went to play a song I have
> played many times and it showed a 'broken link'. I checked in
> musicmatch - file/fix broken links and I had 10 songs that have
> broken links. Only once did I do a system restore and that was to
> 1 day earlier, and I know I have played the songs that now have
> broken links after doing the system restore.
> I checked in search and the songs were not there. I do not have a
> clue why I lost 10 songs. Thanks for answering.....

I have no idea why you lost them either. <g> I wasn't there. Anyhow,
depending on the reason you did the restore that might be the problem. If
the songs are gone (and give it a good look to see if they really are gone -
just root about in the save folder that you've been using) then it's pretty
much not a System Restore problem. Perhaps you were using something like a
P2P application with spyware embedded in it that was cleaned by a virus scan
or an anti-spyware scan? That's been known to eat people's Kazza files in
the past.

Galen
--

"But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
without them."

Sherlock Holmes


MusicMatch / system restore