Group Policy Question



Sarah M
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Is there a way to copy Group Policy settings from one computer to another so
you don't have to set them each time? These computers are not in a Domain.

Thanks in advance

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Drill down to the Group Policy Objects node in the GPMC,
right-click over the GPO, and select Copy. Then, immediately
select Paste. It will create a new GPO named "Copy of {oldname}".
Simply rename it what you wish, and you're in business!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sarah M" wrote:

| Is there a way to copy Group Policy settings from one computer to another so
| you don't have to set them each time? These computers are not in a Domain.
|
| Thanks in advance

Sarah M
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the GPMC the same as gpedit.msc? If not how
do I get to GPMC?

Also, after it is copied how to you apply it to the other computer?

Many, many thanks for your help.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Sarah M wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply. Is the GPMC the same as gpedit.msc?
> If not how do I get to GPMC?
>
> Also, after it is copied how to you apply it to the other computer?
>
> Many, many thanks for your help.
Hi

You can download Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx



--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Sarah M
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks, Is it only available via download? Or is it included inXPsp2?


"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
news:eIyhas6XFHA.2996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Sarah M wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the quick reply. Is the GPMC the same as gpedit.msc?
>> If not how do I get to GPMC?
>>
>> Also, after it is copied how to you apply it to the other computer?
>>
>> Many, many thanks for your help.
> Hi
>
> You can download Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx
>
>
>
> --
> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Sarah M wrote:

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>You can download Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) from here:
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx
>>
>
> Thanks, Is it only available via download? Or is it included
> in XPsp2?
Hi,

No, it is not included in WinXP SP2.


--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx


Group Policy Question