Sysprep and SATA Controllers



Mike
07-10-2005, 02:16 AM
We use Sysprep 2.0 and Ghost to deploy a WindowsXP corpaorate image to all of
our computers. When I created the sysprep.inf file, I ran the command
"sysprep.exe -bmsd" to populate the SysprepMassStorage section of the
sysprep.inf file. But, this does not add any information in this section
regarding SATA controllers and SATA RAID controllers. I have some new pc's
that I need to image that were ordered with two SATA drives in a RAID 0
configuration. I have the driver disk that contains the driver files for the
controller (.cat, .inf, .sys files) but I don't know what the steps are to
make this work. Where do I need to copy these files to on the master image pc
and what do I need to add to the SysprepMassStorage section?, etc, etc

THanks...
Mike

Andrew E.
07-10-2005, 02:16 AM
The SATA/RAID controller drivers will be on a floppy disk,the drivers need
to be
installed on booting to xp cd (F6 option).The drivers on the cd are for
installing
in IE (desktop),after xp is installed.

"Mike" wrote:

> We use Sysprep 2.0 and Ghost to deploy a WindowsXP corpaorate image to all of
> our computers. When I created the sysprep.inf file, I ran the command
> "sysprep.exe -bmsd" to populate the SysprepMassStorage section of the
> sysprep.inf file. But, this does not add any information in this section
> regarding SATA controllers and SATA RAID controllers. I have some new pc's
> that I need to image that were ordered with two SATA drives in a RAID 0
> configuration. I have the driver disk that contains the driver files for the
> controller (.cat, .inf, .sys files) but I don't know what the steps are to
> make this work. Where do I need to copy these files to on the master image pc
> and what do I need to add to the SysprepMassStorage section?, etc, etc
>
> THanks...
> Mike

Mike
07-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Andrew,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand how to load RAID drivers when
installing Windows from an install CD. But, we don't do it that way. We use
Ghost to deploy an image so the controller drivers have to be already
installed and there has to be an entry in the SysprepMassStorage section of
the sysprep.inf file. I am creating our image on a box that does NOT have the
RAID controller in it but I want to be able to deploy the image to a box that
does so the drivers must be "loaded into windows" before imaging.

Mike

"Andrew E." wrote:

> The SATA/RAID controller drivers will be on a floppy disk,the drivers need
> to be
> installed on booting to xp cd (F6 option).The drivers on the cd are for
> installing
> in IE (desktop),after xp is installed.
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > We use Sysprep 2.0 and Ghost to deploy a WindowsXP corpaorate image to all of
> > our computers. When I created the sysprep.inf file, I ran the command
> > "sysprep.exe -bmsd" to populate the SysprepMassStorage section of the
> > sysprep.inf file. But, this does not add any information in this section
> > regarding SATA controllers and SATA RAID controllers. I have some new pc's
> > that I need to image that were ordered with two SATA drives in a RAID 0
> > configuration. I have the driver disk that contains the driver files for the
> > controller (.cat, .inf, .sys files) but I don't know what the steps are to
> > make this work. Where do I need to copy these files to on the master image pc
> > and what do I need to add to the SysprepMassStorage section?, etc, etc
> >
> > THanks...
> > Mike

Bryce Alan Katz
07-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Mike wrote:
> Andrew,
> Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand how to load RAID drivers when
> installing Windows from an install CD. But, we don't do it that way. We use
> Ghost to deploy an image so the controller drivers have to be already
> installed and there has to be an entry in the SysprepMassStorage section of
> the sysprep.inf file. I am creating our image on a box that does NOT have the
> RAID controller in it but I want to be able to deploy the image to a box that
> does so the drivers must be "loaded into windows" before imaging.
>
> Mike
>
> "Andrew E." wrote:
>
>
>> The SATA/RAID controller drivers will be on a floppy disk,the drivers need
>>to be
>> installed on booting to xp cd (F6 option).The drivers on the cd are for
>>installing
>> in IE (desktop),after xp is installed.
>>
>>"Mike" wrote:
>>
>>
>>>We use Sysprep 2.0 and Ghost to deploy a WindowsXP corpaorate image to all of
>>>our computers. When I created the sysprep.inf file, I ran the command
>>>"sysprep.exe -bmsd" to populate the SysprepMassStorage section of the
>>>sysprep.inf file. But, this does not add any information in this section
>>>regarding SATA controllers and SATA RAID controllers. I have some new pc's
>>>that I need to image that were ordered with two SATA drives in a RAID 0
>>>configuration. I have the driver disk that contains the driver files for the
>>>controller (.cat, .inf, .sys files) but I don't know what the steps are to
>>>make this work. Where do I need to copy these files to on the master image pc
>>>and what do I need to add to the SysprepMassStorage section?, etc, etc
>>>
>>>THanks...
>>>Mike

I've not tried this, so I'll speculate irresponsibly ;-)

Take a look at the bmsd section AFTER running sysprep -bmsd. It's
essentially a long list of where to find various mass storage devices.
Copy your SATA driver to a logical place (probably in the same path as
the rest of them - which are probably along the lines of
c:\windows\system32\drivers or somesuch) and add your own entry (based
on the existing ones) to the appropriate section. If my understanding of
how the process works is complete (and I'm not claiming that it is) this
should do the trick.


Sysprep and SATA Controllers