Installation of Full version of XP Pro vs Upgrade from ME.



Ryan923
07-10-2005, 03:15 AM
I'd like to upgrade my version of Windows to XP Pro. I have purchased the
upgrade version but it has been suggested that since I currently have Windows
ME on the machine that I should reformat the drive and install the full
version of XP.

Can I reformat and install the full version of XP Pro from an Upgrade CD?

If I can get a hold of a full version of XP Pro, can I install that and then
somehow activate it using a combination of my ME and XP Pro keys?

Any suggestions on the best way to upgrade my computer?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Ryan.

Nepatsfan
07-10-2005, 03:15 AM
Answered inline

"Ryan923" <Ryan923@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D507C432-C392-4516-86A8-26F8613ADD98@microsoft.com...
> I'd like to upgrade my version of Windows to XP Pro. I have
> purchased the
> upgrade version but it has been suggested that since I
> currently have Windows
> ME on the machine that I should reformat the drive and install
> the full
> version of XP.

It's up to you but as long as your hardware and installed
applications are compatible you can upgrade directly from ME to
XP Pro. XP will tell you early in the installation process which
hardware/software issues will have to be addressed.

> Can I reformat and install the full version of XP Pro from an
> Upgrade CD?

Yes, but you will need to provide your ME installation CD as
proof that you're eligible for the upgrade.

> If I can get a hold of a full version of XP Pro, can I install
> that and then
> somehow activate it using a combination of my ME and XP Pro
> keys?

Short answer, no. Long answer, the upgrade key will not work with
the full version CD.

> Any suggestions on the best way to upgrade my computer?

Backup everything you cannot afford to lose. Take a look at these
sites for additional guidance:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx

> Any help is much appreciated!!

Good luck

> Thanks,
> Ryan.
>

Ryan923
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the input. I didn't know you can do a "CleanInstall from the
windows upgrade". From the looks of the links you sent they recommend I
simply try the upgrade first as the upgrade from XP is much better than
previous versions. Not that I've ever done an upgrade mind you (I seem to
always just use the OS until the machine is out of date). The links will be
a great assistance!!

Thanks a bunch!
Ryan.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> Answered inline
>
> "Ryan923" <Ryan923@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D507C432-C392-4516-86A8-26F8613ADD98@microsoft.com...
> > I'd like to upgrade my version of Windows to XP Pro. I have
> > purchased the
> > upgrade version but it has been suggested that since I
> > currently have Windows
> > ME on the machine that I should reformat the drive and install
> > the full
> > version of XP.
>
> It's up to you but as long as your hardware and installed
> applications are compatible you can upgrade directly from ME to
> XP Pro. XP will tell you early in the installation process which
> hardware/software issues will have to be addressed.
>
> > Can I reformat and install the full version of XP Pro from an
> > Upgrade CD?
>
> Yes, but you will need to provide your ME installation CD as
> proof that you're eligible for the upgrade.
>
> > If I can get a hold of a full version of XP Pro, can I install
> > that and then
> > somehow activate it using a combination of my ME and XP Pro
> > keys?
>
> Short answer, no. Long answer, the upgrade key will not work with
> the full version CD.
>
> > Any suggestions on the best way to upgrade my computer?
>
> Backup everything you cannot afford to lose. Take a look at these
> sites for additional guidance:
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx
>
> > Any help is much appreciated!!
>
> Good luck
>
> > Thanks,
> > Ryan.
> >
>
>
>

Nepatsfan
07-10-2005, 03:16 AM
The upgrade process to XP does go a lot smoother than previous
versions. That said, you'll probably find just as many opinions
advising going the clean install route. Some people believe that
the best route to a successful installation of any operating
system is to wipe out the HD and start fresh. There is one fact
that no one disputes: If you're having problems with the previous
OS, an upgrade is not a guaranteed solution to those problems.
It's better to do a clean install.

As I mentioned in my previous response, backup all your critical
files and perform the compatibility check. Also, it wouldn't hurt
to take inventory of you current hardware. Using Device Manager,
look up the manufacturer and model number for critical components
such as your video adapter, network adapter and/or modem. If,
after completing the upgrade, you find that the correct drivers
for these items were not installed you can go to the
manufacturer's web site and download the XP drivers.

Good luck

--
Nepatsfan
"Ryan923" <Ryan923@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:47CCF871-A9BE-4032-89E9-B9AA6135F701@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the input. I didn't know you can do a "CleanInstall
> from the
> windows upgrade". From the looks of the links you sent they
> recommend I
> simply try the upgrade first as the upgrade from XP is much
> better than
> previous versions. Not that I've ever done an upgrade mind you
> (I seem to
> always just use the OS until the machine is out of date). The
> links will be
> a great assistance!!
>
> Thanks a bunch!
> Ryan.
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> Answered inline
>>
>> "Ryan923" <Ryan923@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D507C432-C392-4516-86A8-26F8613ADD98@microsoft.com...
>> > I'd like to upgrade my version of Windows to XP Pro. I have
>> > purchased the
>> > upgrade version but it has been suggested that since I
>> > currently have Windows
>> > ME on the machine that I should reformat the drive and
>> > install
>> > the full
>> > version of XP.
>>
>> It's up to you but as long as your hardware and installed
>> applications are compatible you can upgrade directly from ME
>> to
>> XP Pro. XP will tell you early in the installation process
>> which
>> hardware/software issues will have to be addressed.
>>
>> > Can I reformat and install the full version of XP Pro from
>> > an
>> > Upgrade CD?
>>
>> Yes, but you will need to provide your ME installation CD as
>> proof that you're eligible for the upgrade.
>>
>> > If I can get a hold of a full version of XP Pro, can I
>> > install
>> > that and then
>> > somehow activate it using a combination of my ME and XP Pro
>> > keys?
>>
>> Short answer, no. Long answer, the upgrade key will not work
>> with
>> the full version CD.
>>
>> > Any suggestions on the best way to upgrade my computer?
>>
>> Backup everything you cannot afford to lose. Take a look at
>> these
>> sites for additional guidance:
>>
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
>>
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx
>>
>> > Any help is much appreciated!!
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ryan.
>> >
>>
>>
>>


Installation of Full version of XP Pro vs Upgrade from ME.