Spy-ware????



Kriss
07-10-2005, 03:09 AM
So, ok, I´ve got this problem right. IT´s this programcalled Click me.
Cant get rid of it, and even if I do it comes back after restart. I´ve run
norton, ad-aware and microsoft antispyware so I dont know.
before runnig norton etc. I was told there were new installations on windows
and that I should put in a cd too take care of this. I couldn´t it find so I
said no. Maybe that enabled somebody access to my computer??? How do I know
det rid of click me and how can I know if I still have spyware in my
computer. Thanks.

David H. Lipman
07-10-2005, 03:09 AM
From: "Kriss" <Kriss@discussions.microsoft.com>

| So, ok, Ive got this problem right. ITs this programcalled Click me.
| Cant get rid of it, and even if I do it comes back after restart. Ive run
| norton, ad-aware and microsoft antispyware so I dont know.
| before runnig norton etc. I was told there were new installations on windows
| and that I should put in a cd too take care of this. I couldnt it find so I
| said no. Maybe that enabled somebody access to my computer??? How do I know
| det rid of click me and how can I know if I still have spyware in my
| computer. Thanks.

What version of Ad-aware and have you tried SpyBot Search & Destry ?

--
Dave
http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Shenan Stanley
07-10-2005, 03:09 AM
Kriss wrote:
> So, ok, Ive got this problem right. ITs this programcalled Click me.
> Cant get rid of it, and even if I do it comes back after restart.
> Ive run norton, ad-aware and microsoft antispyware so I dont know.
> before runnig norton etc. I was told there were new installations on
> windows and that I should put in a cd too take care of this. I
> couldnt it find so I said no. Maybe that enabled somebody access to
> my computer??? How do I know det rid of click me and how can I know
> if I still have spyware in my computer. Thanks.

What version of Norton?
What version of AdAware? (not the definitions file date, although that
matters, but AdAware SE 1.05 is the one you want to use - uninstall and
redownload/install the latest.)
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta is BETA - says so in the name. It is not deemed
read for official release yet.

Did you run AdAware in Safe Mode?
Sometimes it is better to install all of the AntiSpyware stuff, update them
and then reboot to safe mode to scan with them - you get a cleaner result.

First - make sure you have NOT installed "Rogue AntiSpyware". There are
people out there who created AntiSpyware products that actually install
spyware of their own! You need to avoid these:

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Also, you can always visit this site..
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
For more updated information.

Then, my suggestion is that you at least install the first five of
these: (Download the latest, Install, Run, Update, Scan with..)

Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )

SpywareBlaster (Free!)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate6 )

IE-SPYAD (Free!)
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )

CWShredder (Free!)
http://www.softbasket.com/download/s_8114.shtml

Hijack This! (Free)
http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
( Tutorial: http://hjt.wizardsofwebsites.com/ )

ToolbarCop (Free!)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

Browser Security Tests
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

Popup Tester
http://www.popuptest.com/

The Cleaner (49.95 and up)
http://www.moosoft.com/


Also, scan your system with a different (Online) AntiVirus to double-check
Norton.

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Panda Antivirus Online
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

Trend Micro
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--

Bruce Chambers
07-10-2005, 03:09 AM
Kriss wrote:
> So, ok, I´ve got this problem right. IT´s this programcalled Click me.
> Cant get rid of it, and even if I do it comes back after restart. I´ve run
> norton, ad-aware and microsoft antispyware so I dont know.
> before runnig norton etc. I was told there were new installations on windows
> and that I should put in a cd too take care of this. I couldn´t it find so I
> said no. Maybe that enabled somebody access to my computer??? How do I know
> det rid of click me and how can I know if I still have spyware in my
> computer. Thanks.


To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter, Bonzai
Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but
without understanding the consequences) installed, two products that
are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even possible
to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system against most
future intrusions. I use both and generally perform manual scans every
week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

Laura
07-10-2005, 03:09 AM
"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote in message
news:%23A3YS0tXFHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Kriss wrote:
>> So, ok, I´ve got this problem right. IT´s this programcalled Click me.
>> Cant get rid of it, and even if I do it comes back after restart. I´ve
>> run norton, ad-aware and microsoft antispyware so I dont know.
>> before runnig norton etc. I was told there were new installations on
>> windows and that I should put in a cd too take care of this. I couldn´t
>> it find so I said no. Maybe that enabled somebody access to my
>> computer??? How do I know det rid of click me and how can I know if I
>> still have spyware in my computer. Thanks.
>
>
> To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
> "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter, Bonzai
> Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
> understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are quite
> effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are Ad-Aware
> from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
> www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even possible
> to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system against most
> future intrusions. I use both and generally perform manual scans every
> week or so to clean out cookies, etc.
>
> Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
> varieties of scumware are available here:
>
> PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
> http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml
>
> More information and assistance is available at these sites:
>
> Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
> The Parasite Fight
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

My daughter's PC got infected a few months ago with some sort of browser
toolbar adder. AdAware and Spybot were not enough to remove it. I ended up
downloading Spysweeper http://www.webroot.com/ to get the last of it off of
her machine. Each product is designed to detect different things so adding
this 3rd program to my list of programs seemed to do the trick. It also took
multiple passes at her machine to get everything off. Yeah, it was really
infected. She was also directed to stop using IE and now uses Netscape.


Spy-ware????