grant power users access to firewall controls



totoro
07-10-2005, 02:08 AM
I don't want my users installing apps but they should be able to turn on and
off the firewall. is there a way to give them this ability?

Gordon
07-10-2005, 02:08 AM
totoro wrote:
|| I don't want my users installing apps but they should be able to
|| turn on and off the firewall.

Why? Turning off the firewall is a security risk.

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

totoro
07-10-2005, 02:08 AM
sometimes its required to troubleshoot netwrok services such as printing and
scanning images. we have a xerox large format scanner that the Firewall will
not accept as an exception. to use it the administrator has to turn off the
firewall. I would rather the user turned it on and off on demand, rather than
me deciding either I turn it off permanantly or the scanner resource (which
is unique and very useful) is no longer availalble permanently.

"Gordon" wrote:

> totoro wrote:
> || I don't want my users installing apps but they should be able to
> || turn on and off the firewall.
>
> Why? Turning off the firewall is a security risk.
>
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
>
>
>

Gordon
07-10-2005, 02:08 AM
totoro wrote:
> sometimes its required to troubleshoot netwrok services such as
> printing and scanning images. we have a xerox large format scanner
> that the Firewall will not accept as an exception. to use it the
> administrator has to turn off the firewall. I would rather the user
> turned it on and off on demand, rather than me deciding either I turn
> it off permanantly or the scanner resource (which is unique and very
> useful) is no longer availalble permanently.
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> totoro wrote:
>>>> I don't want my users installing apps but they should be able to
>>>> turn on and off the firewall.
>>
>> Why? Turning off the firewall is a security risk.
>>

If you are talking about the Windows firewall, perhaps it's time to consider
an alternative?


grant power users access to firewall controls