Rfresh rate



Xpander
07-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Sorry in advance for asking such a beginners question in what is prob
the wrong newsgroup, but if I increase the refresh rate of my monitor to
get rid of screen flicker, will it reduce the frame rate much in my games?

Thanks in advance for any help

X

Paul Smith
07-09-2005, 09:40 PM
"Xpander" <scott@whiteford65.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d6nj0d$8nt$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Sorry in advance for asking such a beginners question in what is prob the
> wrong newsgroup, but if I increase the refresh rate of my monitor to get
> rid of screen flicker, will it reduce the frame rate much in my games?

Short answer no. Long answer, if you've got the video card set to sync it's
frames with the monitor then it may slow down if it can't match the refresh
rate, so it will draw at half speed.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

Xpander
07-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Paul Smith wrote:
> "Xpander" <scott@whiteford65.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:d6nj0d$8nt$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>>Sorry in advance for asking such a beginners question in what is prob the
>>wrong newsgroup, but if I increase the refresh rate of my monitor to get
>>rid of screen flicker, will it reduce the frame rate much in my games?
>
>
> Short answer no. Long answer, if you've got the video card set to sync it's
> frames with the monitor then it may slow down if it can't match the refresh
> rate, so it will draw at half speed.
>

Which leads me to my next question. If for example I run games then exit
them, or if my monitor comes out of standby mode, I'm finding that the
size of the screen has changed and I have to re-adjust the horizontal
and vertical controls on the monitor. This doesn't happen at a refresh
rate of 60hz, but 70 and 75. Any ideas?

X

L00N
07-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Are you setting the refresh rate for certain screen
resolutions only i.e desktop is 1024x768 @ 60hz game is
800x600 @75hz
go into your properties for gfx card and set it to the
max the monitor will allow for your desktop resolution,
having a monitor set too 60hz is ok if u have a tft but
on a normal crt monitor its like staring at a naked light
bulb
>-----Original Message-----
>Paul Smith wrote:
>> "Xpander" <scott@whiteford65.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message
>> news:d6nj0d$8nt$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>>>Sorry in advance for asking such a beginners question
in what is prob the
>>>wrong newsgroup, but if I increase the refresh rate of
my monitor to get
>>>rid of screen flicker, will it reduce the frame rate
much in my games?
>>
>>
>> Short answer no. Long answer, if you've got the video
card set to sync it's
>> frames with the monitor then it may slow down if it
can't match the refresh
>> rate, so it will draw at half speed.
>>
>
>Which leads me to my next question. If for example I run
games then exit
>them, or if my monitor comes out of standby mode, I'm
finding that the
>size of the screen has changed and I have to re-adjust
the horizontal
>and vertical controls on the monitor. This doesn't
happen at a refresh
>rate of 60hz, but 70 and 75. Any ideas?
>
>X
>.
>


Rfresh rate