Internet Connection Sharing Problem in WinXp Media Center



Himanshu
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi, This is Himanshu, facing the sharing problem for the last weak. In
my home there are three PCs connected to each other via HUB. In my
server there are two partitions namely C & D. Recently I installed
winXP media center on my C drive. I have two lan cards, one for local
lan & other for static IP given by my ISP. I am using 192.168.0.1, 0.2
& 0.3 (private IP)in all the three pcs. All the PCs are able to ping
each other, even as yahoo IP, but whenever I tried to open any website
in address bar I get the messege that "page cann't be dispalyed" in
remaining two pcs except my server. When I typed the yahoo IP in
address bar It opened on my client machine.
So being disappointed I installed windows server 2003 on my D
partition, When I boot my PC in 2003 server Internet started working in
all the pcs, but not in media center.
Please solve my problem.
Reagrds,
Srivastava Himanshu

John
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
I think the problem is to do with DNS; you are connected to the internet but
cant use domain names to access web pages such as 'yahoo.com', you can
however, use IP addresses.

When you installed Windows Server 2003 (and booted it) this took the role of
the defult DNS server (and maybe DHCP) and therefore everything worked.
However, as you say when you boot your other drive (Win Media), your network
machines will no longer be able to use Domain Names; it will be connected to
the internet but a name such as 'yahoo.com' will not resolve to
66.94.234.13.

I think the easiest work around so you dont need the 'server' pc to be
running Windows Serveris is to use static IP addresses and to specify a DNS
server address on each PC (is provided by your ISP).

Hope this helps

"Himanshu" <himanshus@hathway.net> wrote in message
news:1116333278.425602.317110@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi, This is Himanshu, facing the sharing problem for the last weak. In
> my home there are three PCs connected to each other via HUB. In my
> server there are two partitions namely C & D. Recently I installed
> winXP media center on my C drive. I have two lan cards, one for local
> lan & other for static IP given by my ISP. I am using 192.168.0.1, 0.2
> & 0.3 (private IP)in all the three pcs. All the PCs are able to ping
> each other, even as yahoo IP, but whenever I tried to open any website
> in address bar I get the messege that "page cann't be dispalyed" in
> remaining two pcs except my server. When I typed the yahoo IP in
> address bar It opened on my client machine.
> So being disappointed I installed windows server 2003 on my D
> partition, When I boot my PC in 2003 server Internet started working in
> all the pcs, but not in media center.
> Please solve my problem.
> Reagrds,
> Srivastava Himanshu
>

Himanshu
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Yes John thanks for writing us.I did the same, configured the DNS in
both PC, given by our ISP provider but hopeless. If I will install the
any proxy server in Media center would It overcome this problem?
Thanks
John wrote:
> I think the problem is to do with DNS; you are connected to the
internet but
> cant use domain names to access web pages such as 'yahoo.com', you
can
> however, use IP addresses.
>
> When you installed Windows Server 2003 (and booted it) this took the
role of
> the defult DNS server (and maybe DHCP) and therefore everything
worked.
> However, as you say when you boot your other drive (Win Media), your
network
> machines will no longer be able to use Domain Names; it will be
connected to
> the internet but a name such as 'yahoo.com' will not resolve to
> 66.94.234.13.
>
> I think the easiest work around so you dont need the 'server' pc to
be
> running Windows Serveris is to use static IP addresses and to specify
a DNS
> server address on each PC (is provided by your ISP).
>
> Hope this helps
>
> "Himanshu" <himanshus@hathway.net> wrote in message
> news:1116333278.425602.317110@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi, This is Himanshu, facing the sharing problem for the last weak.
In
> > my home there are three PCs connected to each other via HUB. In my
> > server there are two partitions namely C & D. Recently I installed
> > winXP media center on my C drive. I have two lan cards, one for
local
> > lan & other for static IP given by my ISP. I am using 192.168.0.1,
0.2
> > & 0.3 (private IP)in all the three pcs. All the PCs are able to
ping
> > each other, even as yahoo IP, but whenever I tried to open any
website
> > in address bar I get the messege that "page cann't be dispalyed" in
> > remaining two pcs except my server. When I typed the yahoo IP in
> > address bar It opened on my client machine.
> > So being disappointed I installed windows server 2003 on my D
> > partition, When I boot my PC in 2003 server Internet started
working in
> > all the pcs, but not in media center.
> > Please solve my problem.
> > Reagrds,
> > Srivastava Himanshu
> >

John
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
A proxy server might fix it, however, as you say all the computers are
talking and you have interenet, the only problem is resolving names to IP
addresses; typing it directly works.

I still think that there is a problem with the hosts configurations, ensure
that the TCP/IP properties are fully filled in:

a unique IP address for each machine
the same subnet mast
the same workgroup name
a DNS address AND a backup DNS address

I have no idea about WinXP Media and whether it has ICS for example but know
that if you can type an IP to get a web page its certain to be DNS problem.


"Himanshu" <himanshus@hathway.net> wrote in message
news:1116406011.042884.306820@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Yes John thanks for writing us.I did the same, configured the DNS in
> both PC, given by our ISP provider but hopeless. If I will install the
> any proxy server in Media center would It overcome this problem?
> Thanks
> John wrote:
>> I think the problem is to do with DNS; you are connected to the
> internet but
>> cant use domain names to access web pages such as 'yahoo.com', you
> can
>> however, use IP addresses.
>>
>> When you installed Windows Server 2003 (and booted it) this took the
> role of
>> the defult DNS server (and maybe DHCP) and therefore everything
> worked.
>> However, as you say when you boot your other drive (Win Media), your
> network
>> machines will no longer be able to use Domain Names; it will be
> connected to
>> the internet but a name such as 'yahoo.com' will not resolve to
>> 66.94.234.13.
>>
>> I think the easiest work around so you dont need the 'server' pc to
> be
>> running Windows Serveris is to use static IP addresses and to specify
> a DNS
>> server address on each PC (is provided by your ISP).
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> "Himanshu" <himanshus@hathway.net> wrote in message
>> news:1116333278.425602.317110@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> > Hi, This is Himanshu, facing the sharing problem for the last weak.
> In
>> > my home there are three PCs connected to each other via HUB. In my
>> > server there are two partitions namely C & D. Recently I installed
>> > winXP media center on my C drive. I have two lan cards, one for
> local
>> > lan & other for static IP given by my ISP. I am using 192.168.0.1,
> 0.2
>> > & 0.3 (private IP)in all the three pcs. All the PCs are able to
> ping
>> > each other, even as yahoo IP, but whenever I tried to open any
> website
>> > in address bar I get the messege that "page cann't be dispalyed" in
>> > remaining two pcs except my server. When I typed the yahoo IP in
>> > address bar It opened on my client machine.
>> > So being disappointed I installed windows server 2003 on my D
>> > partition, When I boot my PC in 2003 server Internet started
> working in
>> > all the pcs, but not in media center.
>> > Please solve my problem.
>> > Reagrds,
>> > Srivastava Himanshu
>> >
>

Himanshu
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
yes John, here r my settings:-
Server IP address are
1st lan card
given by ISP Provider
202.88.148.15---ip
255.255.255.0---sm
202.88.148.1---gateway
202.88.149.6--dns
202.56.230.6---dns
2nd lan card
192.168.0.1
255.255.255.0
client pcs
192.168.0.2---ip
255.255.255.0---sm
192.168.0.1---gateway
202.88.149.6--dns
202.56.230.6---dns

I am stuck of this problem, help me


Internet Connection Sharing Problem in WinXp Media Center