Access Denied



david2505
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
I have two computers Desktop(Host) and Laptop(Client) both are running XP
prof. I have run the network setup wizard and search through all the trouble
shooters. On both computers my internet connection sharings works, my printer
sharing works. I can see on both computers my network workgroup and both
computers are listed. All the shared files are properly set up. From
Desktop(Host) I can access all the files on Laptop(Client) but from
Laptop(Client) to Desktop(Host) I get the error message "Access Denied (check
with Network Administrator)". I am the administrator on both computers. Can
anybody help? PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Tue, 17 May 2005 01:49:25 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have two computers Desktop(Host) and Laptop(Client) both are running XP
>prof. I have run the network setup wizard and search through all the trouble
>shooters. On both computers my internet connection sharings works, my printer
>sharing works. I can see on both computers my network workgroup and both
>computers are listed. All the shared files are properly set up. From
>Desktop(Host) I can access all the files on Laptop(Client) but from
>Laptop(Client) to Desktop(Host) I get the error message "Access Denied (check
>with Network Administrator)". I am the administrator on both computers. Can
>anybody help? PLEASE!!!!!!!!

The browser is a very common cause of problems like yours.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>

The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305

You can download Browstat from either:
<http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
<http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>

Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers list the same master
browser.

For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231312
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q102878/
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win95/w95brows.mspx>

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

david2505
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi Chuck, Done all you said but not sure what to do now. BROWSTAT status
reports "could not open key in registry, error = 5". "Unable to dtermine
build of browser master:5". "Unable to determine server information for
browser master: 5". I can see my workgroup listed and both my computer names
are correct. Have read all the articles you sugguested but they are beyond
me!! Would have liked to send you the full BROWSTAT report but dont know how
too. What do i do next?

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 01:49:25 -0700, david2505
> <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have two computers Desktop(Host) and Laptop(Client) both are running XP
> >prof. I have run the network setup wizard and search through all the trouble
> >shooters. On both computers my internet connection sharings works, my printer
> >sharing works. I can see on both computers my network workgroup and both
> >computers are listed. All the shared files are properly set up. From
> >Desktop(Host) I can access all the files on Laptop(Client) but from
> >Laptop(Client) to Desktop(Host) I get the error message "Access Denied (check
> >with Network Administrator)". I am the administrator on both computers. Can
> >anybody help? PLEASE!!!!!!!!
>
> The browser is a very common cause of problems like yours.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
>
> The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
> Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
>
> You can download Browstat from either:
> <http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
> <http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>
>
> Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
> file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
> window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers list the same master
> browser.
>
> For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231312
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q102878/
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win95/w95brows.mspx>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:57:20 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Chuck, Done all you said but not sure what to do now. BROWSTAT status
>reports "could not open key in registry, error = 5". "Unable to dtermine
>build of browser master:5". "Unable to determine server information for
>browser master: 5". I can see my workgroup listed and both my computer names
>are correct. Have read all the articles you sugguested but they are beyond
>me!! Would have liked to send you the full BROWSTAT report but dont know how
>too. What do i do next?

From both computers:
1) Start - Run - "cmd".
2) Type "browstat status >c:\browstat.txt" into the command window.
3) Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
4) Open file c:\browstat.txt from Notepad.
5) Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next post.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

david2505
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi again thanks for replying. Since our last messages I have tried renaming
everything but still are having no joy.
Host = "STATIC"
Client = "MOBILE"
Workgroup = "DAVIDNET"

Here are the BROWSTAT status reports:-

STATIC
Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
Browsing is active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus. Using \\STATIC
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
\\STATIC
There are 1 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb


Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: STATIC
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
\\STATIC
There are 2 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}
There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}


Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkIpx
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.


Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8C491905-59BE-4DFB-BA25-B88075F79974}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.


MOBILE

Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: STATIC
Could not open key in registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build
of browser master: 5
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
2 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
\\STATIC
\\MOBILE
There are 2 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}


Thanks for helping coz this is driving me insane!!!!

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:57:20 -0700, david2505
> <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Chuck, Done all you said but not sure what to do now. BROWSTAT status
> >reports "could not open key in registry, error = 5". "Unable to dtermine
> >build of browser master:5". "Unable to determine server information for
> >browser master: 5". I can see my workgroup listed and both my computer names
> >are correct. Have read all the articles you sugguested but they are beyond
> >me!! Would have liked to send you the full BROWSTAT report but dont know how
> >too. What do i do next?
>
> From both computers:
> 1) Start - Run - "cmd".
> 2) Type "browstat status >c:\browstat.txt" into the command window.
> 3) Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
> 4) Open file c:\browstat.txt from Notepad.
> 5) Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next post.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:30:03 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi again thanks for replying. Since our last messages I have tried renaming
>everything but still are having no joy.
>Host = "STATIC"
>Client = "MOBILE"
>Workgroup = "DAVIDNET"
>
>Here are the BROWSTAT status reports:-
>
>STATIC
>Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
> Browsing is active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus. Using \\STATIC
> Master browser is running build 2600
> 1 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
> \\STATIC
> There are 1 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
> There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
>
>
>Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}
> Browsing is active on domain.
> Master browser name is: STATIC
> Master browser is running build 2600
> 1 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
> \\STATIC
> There are 2 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}
> There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}
>
>
>Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkIpx
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>
>
>Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8C491905-59BE-4DFB-BA25-B88075F79974}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>
>
>MOBILE
>
>Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
> Browsing is active on domain.
> Master browser name is: STATIC
>Could not open key in registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build
>of browser master: 5
> Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
> 2 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
> \\STATIC
> \\MOBILE
> There are 2 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
> There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport
>\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
>
>
>Thanks for helping coz this is driving me insane!!!!

David,

Computers will do that to you. The more you know, the more insane you get. ;)

What OS / file sharing on each computer?
1) XP Home.
2) XP Pro with Simple File Sharing.
3) XP Pro with Advanced File Sharing.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/windows-xp-file-sharing-not-so-simple.html

Start here:
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/fix-network-problems-but-clean-up.html

Get rid of excess protocols first. Then see what problems, if any, remain.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

david2505
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:30:03 -0700, david2505
> <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi again thanks for replying. Since our last messages I have tried renaming
> >everything but still are having no joy.
> >Host = "STATIC"
> >Client = "MOBILE"
> >Workgroup = "DAVIDNET"
> >
> >Here are the BROWSTAT status reports:-
> >
> >STATIC
> >Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
> > Browsing is active on domain.
> > Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus. Using \\STATIC
> > Master browser is running build 2600
> > 1 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
> > \\STATIC
> > There are 1 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
> > There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkNb
> >
> >
> >Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}
> > Browsing is active on domain.
> > Master browser name is: STATIC
> > Master browser is running build 2600
> > 1 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
> > \\STATIC
> > There are 2 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}
> > There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F5A6A320-B543-4C06-8FB9-E2AEAC3B5002}
> >
> >
> >Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport \Device\NwlnkIpx
> > Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> > Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
> >
> >
> >Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8C491905-59BE-4DFB-BA25-B88075F79974}
> > Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> > Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
> >
> >
> >MOBILE
> >
> >Status for domain DAVIDNET on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
> > Browsing is active on domain.
> > Master browser name is: STATIC
> >Could not open key in registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build
> >of browser master: 5
> > Unable to determine server information for browser master: 5
> > 2 backup servers retrieved from master STATIC
> > \\STATIC
> > \\MOBILE
> > There are 2 servers in domain DAVIDNET on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
> > There are 1 domains in domain DAVIDNET on transport
> >\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
> >
> >
> >Thanks for helping coz this is driving me insane!!!!
>
> David,
>
> Computers will do that to you. The more you know, the more insane you get. ;)
>
> What OS / file sharing on each computer?
> 1) XP Home.
> 2) XP Pro with Simple File Sharing.
> 3) XP Pro with Advanced File Sharing.
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/windows-xp-file-sharing-not-so-simple.html
>
> Start here:
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/fix-network-problems-but-clean-up.html
>
> Get rid of excess protocols first. Then see what problems, if any, remain.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
> Hi Chuck. Its taken me some time but I've done all you said and still no joy.

The opperating system on both computers is the same
XP Prof Ver 2002
Simply File Sharing is active

I have followed all your instruction in your artical "Windows XP File
Sharing (Not So Simple)" also check the local secuity policy settings and
all seems in order.

I have cleaned up my protocol list and all that remains is

Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

I followed your instructions on setting the guest account on by using the
CMD command but when i looked at the guest accounts they were off. I have
since turned them on using Control/Users.

Where do I go from here?

I am almost starting to enjoy this !!!! Sad Yer.......

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:36:09 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Chuck. Its taken me some time but I've done all you said and still no joy.
>
>The opperating system on both computers is the same
> XP Prof Ver 2002
>Simply File Sharing is active
>
>I have followed all your instruction in your artical "Windows XP File
>Sharing (Not So Simple)" also check the local secuity policy settings and
>all seems in order.
>
>I have cleaned up my protocol list and all that remains is
>
>Client for Microsoft Networks
>File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
>Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
>
>I followed your instructions on setting the guest account on by using the
>CMD command but when i looked at the guest accounts they were off. I have
>since turned them on using Control/Users.
>
>Where do I go from here?
>
>I am almost starting to enjoy this !!!! Sad Yer.......

David,

Let's see if we can get to a point where you do enjoy it. Should be when we
resolve the problem anyway.

Let's start with updated browstat and ipconfig for both computers, that will
show where we are. Service Pack information, in addition to OS name and
version, might be relevant, too.

Remember with Simple File Sharing, you won't be able to access the registry on
Static from Mobile, so you should expect the "error = 5" ("access denied") in
browstat.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

david2505
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Sorry cant give any details on o/s apart from what I have already said. I
know its not service pack 2.

ipconfig for both host and client

HOST
Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 17:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
PPP adapter BT Broadband:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 86.128.91.52
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 86.128.91.52
CLIENT
Ethernet adapter Laptop LAN:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.172
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

browstat status for both computers

HOST
Status for domain HOMENET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{EDDB456A-31FF-4B1C-8DCB-843DF3AC01C6}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain HOMENET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6FAAD38E-F740-40BB-A420-9354E6A9940C}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus. Using \\COMPAQ
Could not open key in registry, error = 5 Unable to determine build
of browser master: 5
\\\\COMPAQ . Version:05.01 Flags: 51003 NT POTENTIAL MASTER
1 backup servers retrieved from master COMPAQ
\\COMPAQ
There are 2 servers in domain HOMENET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6FAAD38E-F740-40BB-A420-9354E6A9940C}
There are 1 domains in domain HOMENET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6FAAD38E-F740-40BB-A420-9354E6A9940C}
Status for domain HOMENET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8C491905-59BE-4DFB-BA25-B88075F79974}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

CLIENT
Status for domain HOMENET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: COMPAQ
Master browser is running build 2600
1 backup servers retrieved from master COMPAQ
\\COMPAQ
There are 2 servers in domain HOMENET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}
There are 1 domains in domain HOMENET on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1B8548AE-25B8-4BCF-89CC-703361A9730C}


There seems to be a lot of confusion over names. Most probable because I
have been messing so much.
These are the name my computers are telling me there called at the moment

HOST = "STATIC"
CLIENT = "MOBILE"
WORKGROUP = "HOMENET"

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2005 13:36:09 -0700, david2505
> <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Chuck. Its taken me some time but I've done all you said and still no joy.
> >
> >The opperating system on both computers is the same
> > XP Prof Ver 2002
> >Simply File Sharing is active
> >
> >I have followed all your instruction in your artical "Windows XP File
> >Sharing (Not So Simple)" also check the local secuity policy settings and
> >all seems in order.
> >
> >I have cleaned up my protocol list and all that remains is
> >
> >Client for Microsoft Networks
> >File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
> >Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
> >
> >I followed your instructions on setting the guest account on by using the
> >CMD command but when i looked at the guest accounts they were off. I have
> >since turned them on using Control/Users.
> >
> >Where do I go from here?
> >
> >I am almost starting to enjoy this !!!! Sad Yer.......
>
> David,
>
> Let's see if we can get to a point where you do enjoy it. Should be when we
> resolve the problem anyway.
>
> Let's start with updated browstat and ipconfig for both computers, that will
> show where we are. Service Pack information, in addition to OS name and
> version, might be relevant, too.
>
> Remember with Simple File Sharing, you won't be able to access the registry on
> Static from Mobile, so you should expect the "error = 5" ("access denied") in
> browstat.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:22:02 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>
>Sorry cant give any details on o/s apart from what I have already said. I
>know its not service pack 2.
>
>ipconfig for both host and client

David,

Try "ipconfig /all" please.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:22:02 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>
>Sorry cant give any details on o/s apart from what I have already said. I
>know its not service pack 2.
>
>ipconfig for both host and client

David,

Try "ipconfig /all" please. Also, what is the exact and complete text of the
"access denied" message?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/getting-access-denied-in-network.html>

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

david2505
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi again Chuck,

Here are the ipconfig/all results

HOST
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : STATIC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 17:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-2F-CC-23-B4-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
PPP adapter BT Broadband:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 86.128.162.132
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 86.128.162.132
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.6.40.162
194.72.0.98

CLIENT
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MOBILE
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Laptop LAN:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100+ MiniPCI
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-59-39-47-66
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.172
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 May 2005 17:41:46
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 26 May 2005 17:41:46


This is the error message I get on the CLIENT computer when trying to access
the HOST computer using START/MY NETWORK PLACES/VIEW WORKGROUPS/HOMENET
double click DESKTOP(HOST)

"\\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions"
"Access is denied"

There is something I have noticed which I do not know whether it is
relevant. In START/CONNECT TO/SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS I have two net adapters
which i have no idea what they are. 1394 Connection 5 & 1394 Connection 6. If
I disable them all my hardware still works. If I delete them totally windows
just picks them up again next time i boot up????

They are connected via NETWORK BRIDGE. I have tried running the Network
Settup Wizard without these addapters included but still get the same "Access
Denied" results.

I have got a new copy of XP pro with service pack 2 which I am going to try
to install do you think this will help at all?

Many thanks mate, dont know how you do it all!!!
"Chuck" wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:22:02 -0700, david2505
> <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >Sorry cant give any details on o/s apart from what I have already said. I
> >know its not service pack 2.
> >
> >ipconfig for both host and client
>
> David,
>
> Try "ipconfig /all" please. Also, what is the exact and complete text of the
> "access denied" message?
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/getting-access-denied-in-network.html>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:14:01 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi again Chuck,
>
>Here are the ipconfig/all results
>
>HOST
>Windows IP Configuration
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : STATIC
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 17:
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-2F-CC-23-B4-FF
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
>PPP adapter BT Broadband:
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 86.128.162.132
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 86.128.162.132
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.6.40.162
> 194.72.0.98
>
>CLIENT
>Windows IP Configuration
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MOBILE
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>Ethernet adapter Laptop LAN:
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100+ MiniPCI
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-59-39-47-66
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.172
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 May 2005 17:41:46
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 26 May 2005 17:41:46
>
>
>This is the error message I get on the CLIENT computer when trying to access
>the HOST computer using START/MY NETWORK PLACES/VIEW WORKGROUPS/HOMENET
>double click DESKTOP(HOST)
>
>"\\Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
>network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
>have access permissions"
>"Access is denied"
>
>There is something I have noticed which I do not know whether it is
>relevant. In START/CONNECT TO/SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS I have two net adapters
>which i have no idea what they are. 1394 Connection 5 & 1394 Connection 6. If
>I disable them all my hardware still works. If I delete them totally windows
>just picks them up again next time i boot up????
>
>They are connected via NETWORK BRIDGE. I have tried running the Network
>Settup Wizard without these addapters included but still get the same "Access
>Denied" results.
>
>I have got a new copy of XP pro with service pack 2 which I am going to try
>to install do you think this will help at all?
>
>Many thanks mate, dont know how you do it all!!!

David,

The "1394 Connection" entries are Firewire.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IEEE_1394.html

They're OK, if you don't need to include them in your IP network. But when they
are made into a bridge, you get trouble.

Get rid of the bridge "MAC Bridge Miniport" on Static, and post a new "ipconfig
/all" please. We'll start detailed diagnostics after that.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

david2505
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Ok network bridge gone. Still the same access denied. NOW WE START!!!!!

heres the new ipconfig on host computer (static)

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : STATIC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
PPP adapter BT Broadband:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 86.128.162.132
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 86.128.162.132
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.6.40.162
194.72.0.98
Ethernet adapter Desktop LAN:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS)-based
Ethernet Adapter (Generic) #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 52-54-00-DC-89-0B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

>
> The "1394 Connection" entries are Firewire.
> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IEEE_1394.html
>
> They're OK, if you don't need to include them in your IP network. But when they
> are made into a bridge, you get trouble.
>
> Get rid of the bridge "MAC Bridge Miniport" on Static, and post a new "ipconfig
> /all" please. We'll start detailed diagnostics after that.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:46:08 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>
>Ok network bridge gone. Still the same access denied. NOW WE START!!!!!

OK, David,

First please read thru my troubleshooting guide again, there may be something
new for you to think about:
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/getting-access-denied-in-network.html>

Now, take the following code (everything inside the "#####"). (Please verify
computer names and ip addresses).

1) Open Notepad. Ensure that Format - Word Wrap is not checked. Highlight then
Copy the code (Ctrl-C), precisely as it is presented, and Paste (Ctrl-V) into
Notepad. Verify, and correct, names and addresses if necessary.
2) Save the Notepad file as "cdiag.cmd", as type "All Files", into the root
folder "C:\".
3) Run it by Start - Run - "c:\cdiag".
4) Wait patiently.
5) When Notepad opens up displaying c:\cdiag.txt, first check Format and ensure
that Word Wrap is NOT checked! Then, copy the entire contents (Ctrl-A Ctrl-C)
and paste (Ctrl-V) into your next post.

Do this from all computers, please, with all computers powered up and online.

#####

@echo off
set FullTarget1=STATIC 192.168.0.1
set FullTarget2=MOBILE 192.168.0.172
set FullTarget3=
set FullTarget4=
set FullTargets=%FullTarget1% %FullTarget2% %FullTarget3% %FullTarget4%
set FullTargets=%FullTargets% 127.0.0.1
set PingTargets=www.yahoo.com 66.94.230.32
Set Version=V1.31
@echo CDiagnosis %Version% >c:\cdiag.txt
@echo Start diagnosis for %computername% >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo Full Targets %FullTargets% >>c:\cdiag.txt
for %%a in (%FullTargets%) do (
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo Target %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo "%computername% ping %%a" >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
ping %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo "%computername% net view %%a" >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
net view %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
)
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo Ping Targets %PingTargets% >>c:\cdiag.txt
for %%a in (%PingTargets%) do (
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo Target %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo "%computername% ping %%a" >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
ping %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
)
@echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
@echo End diagnosis for %computername% >>c:\cdiag.txt
notepad c:\cdiag.txt
:EOF

#####

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

david2505
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Sorry for the delay but had a lot of trouble getting your script right, its
these web based messages add things that were not meant to be in the script.
Got it sussed eventually and ran the cdiag.cmd correctly in the end.

There seems to be trouble with the computer names, some are correct and some
are wrong (old names not in use at the moment are showing up on the reports)

These are the names my computer say they are at the moment

Host = "STATIC" was once called "DESKTOP"
Client = "MOBILE" was once called "COMPAQ"
Workgroup = "HOMENET" was once called "MSNET"

Dont know if this has any relevence to the problem.

From START/ALL CONNECTIONS/LAN/PROPERTIS/TCP/IP/PROPERTIES I get the following

HOST = 192.168.0.1
CLIENT = Obtain an IP address automatically

Here are the cdiag reports

HOST
CDiagnosis V1.31
Start diagnosis for DESKTOP
Full Targets STATIC 192.168.0.1 MOBILE 192.168.0.172 127.0.0.1
Target STATIC
"DESKTOP ping STATIC"
Pinging STATIC [192.168.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"DESKTOP net view STATIC"
Shared resources at STATIC
David Desktop
Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Disk
Canon MP370 Series Printer Print Canon MP370 Series Printer
My Documents Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.
Target 192.168.0.1
"DESKTOP ping 192.168.0.1"
Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"DESKTOP net view 192.168.0.1"
Shared resources at 192.168.0.1
David Desktop
Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Disk
Canon MP370 Series Printer Print Canon MP370 Series Printer
My Documents Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.
Target MOBILE
"DESKTOP ping MOBILE"
Ping request could not find host MOBILE. Please check the name and try again.
"DESKTOP net view MOBILE"
Target 192.168.0.172
"DESKTOP ping 192.168.0.172"
Pinging 192.168.0.172 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.172:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"DESKTOP net view 192.168.0.172"
Shared resources at 192.168.0.172
David Laptop
Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Disk
My Documents Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.
Target 127.0.0.1
"DESKTOP ping 127.0.0.1"
Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"DESKTOP net view 127.0.0.1"
Shared resources at 127.0.0.1
David Desktop
Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Disk
Canon MP370 Series Printer Print Canon MP370 Series Printer
My Documents Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.
Ping Targets www.yahoo.com 66.94.230.32
Target www.yahoo.com
"DESKTOP ping www.yahoo.com"
Pinging www.yahoo.akadns.net [68.142.197.80] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 68.142.197.80: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=45
Reply from 68.142.197.80: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=45
Reply from 68.142.197.80: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=45
Reply from 68.142.197.80: bytes=32 time=129ms TTL=45
Ping statistics for 68.142.197.80:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 128ms, Maximum = 129ms, Average = 128ms
Target 66.94.230.32
"DESKTOP ping 66.94.230.32"
Pinging 66.94.230.32 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 66.94.230.32: bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=47
Reply from 66.94.230.32: bytes=32 time=174ms TTL=47
Reply from 66.94.230.32: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=47
Reply from 66.94.230.32: bytes=32 time=162ms TTL=47
Ping statistics for 66.94.230.32:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 162ms, Maximum = 174ms, Average = 168ms
End diagnosis for DESKTOP


CLIENT
CDiagnosis V1.31
Start diagnosis for COMPAQ
Full Targets STATIC 192.168.0.1 MOBILE 192.168.0.172 127.0.0.1
Target STATIC
"COMPAQ ping STATIC"
Pinging STATIC.mshome.net [192.168.0.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"COMPAQ net view STATIC"
Target 192.168.0.1
"COMPAQ ping 192.168.0.1"
Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"COMPAQ net view 192.168.0.1"
Target MOBILE
"COMPAQ ping MOBILE"
Pinging MOBILE [192.168.0.172] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.172:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"COMPAQ net view MOBILE"
Shared resources at MOBILE
David Laptop
Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Disk
My Documents Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.
Target 192.168.0.172
"COMPAQ ping 192.168.0.172"
Pinging 192.168.0.172 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.172: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.172:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"COMPAQ net view 192.168.0.172"
Shared resources at 192.168.0.172
David Laptop
Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Disk
My Documents Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.
Target 127.0.0.1
"COMPAQ ping 127.0.0.1"
Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
"COMPAQ net view 127.0.0.1"
Shared resources at 127.0.0.1
David Laptop
Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C Disk
My Documents Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.
Ping Targets www.yahoo.com 66.94.230.32
Target www.yahoo.com
"COMPAQ ping www.yahoo.com"
Pinging www.yahoo.akadns.net [216.109.117.205] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.109.117.205: bytes=32 time=384ms TTL=45
Reply from 216.109.117.205: bytes=32 time=357ms TTL=45
Reply from 216.109.117.205: bytes=32 time=357ms TTL=46
Reply from 216.109.117.205: bytes=32 time=370ms TTL=46
Ping statistics for 216.109.117.205:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 357ms, Maximum = 384ms, Average = 367ms
Target 66.94.230.32
"COMPAQ ping 66.94.230.32"
Pinging 66.94.230.32 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 66.94.230.32: bytes=32 time=163ms TTL=46
Request timed out.
Reply from 66.94.230.32: bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=46
Reply from 66.94.230.32: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=46
Ping statistics for 66.94.230.32:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 163ms, Maximum = 170ms, Average = 167ms
End diagnosis for COMPAQ




"Chuck" wrote:

> On Thu, 19 May 2005 10:46:08 -0700, david2505
> <david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >Ok network bridge gone. Still the same access denied. NOW WE START!!!!!
>
> OK, David,
>
> First please read thru my troubleshooting guide again, there may be something
> new for you to think about:
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/getting-access-denied-in-network.html>
>
> Now, take the following code (everything inside the "#####"). (Please verify
> computer names and ip addresses).
>
> 1) Open Notepad. Ensure that Format - Word Wrap is not checked. Highlight then
> Copy the code (Ctrl-C), precisely as it is presented, and Paste (Ctrl-V) into
> Notepad. Verify, and correct, names and addresses if necessary.
> 2) Save the Notepad file as "cdiag.cmd", as type "All Files", into the root
> folder "C:\".
> 3) Run it by Start - Run - "c:\cdiag".
> 4) Wait patiently.
> 5) When Notepad opens up displaying c:\cdiag.txt, first check Format and ensure
> that Word Wrap is NOT checked! Then, copy the entire contents (Ctrl-A Ctrl-C)
> and paste (Ctrl-V) into your next post.
>
> Do this from all computers, please, with all computers powered up and online.
>
> #####
>
> @echo off
> set FullTarget1=STATIC 192.168.0.1
> set FullTarget2=MOBILE 192.168.0.172
> set FullTarget3=
> set FullTarget4=
> set FullTargets=%FullTarget1% %FullTarget2% %FullTarget3% %FullTarget4%
> set FullTargets=%FullTargets% 127.0.0.1
> set PingTargets=www.yahoo.com 66.94.230.32
> Set Version=V1.31
> @echo CDiagnosis %Version% >c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo Start diagnosis for %computername% >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo Full Targets %FullTargets% >>c:\cdiag.txt
> for %%a in (%FullTargets%) do (
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo Target %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo "%computername% ping %%a" >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> ping %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo "%computername% net view %%a" >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> net view %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
> )
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo Ping Targets %PingTargets% >>c:\cdiag.txt
> for %%a in (%PingTargets%) do (
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo Target %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo "%computername% ping %%a" >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> ping %%a >>c:\cdiag.txt
> )
> @echo. >>c:\cdiag.txt
> @echo End diagnosis for %computername% >>c:\cdiag.txt
> notepad c:\cdiag.txt
> :EOF
>
> #####
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Thu, 19 May 2005 14:31:03 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the delay but had a lot of trouble getting your script right, its
>these web based messages add things that were not meant to be in the script.
>Got it sussed eventually and ran the cdiag.cmd correctly in the end.
>
>There seems to be trouble with the computer names, some are correct and some
>are wrong (old names not in use at the moment are showing up on the reports)
>
>These are the names my computer say they are at the moment
>
>Host = "STATIC" was once called "DESKTOP"
>Client = "MOBILE" was once called "COMPAQ"
>Workgroup = "HOMENET" was once called "MSNET"
>
>Dont know if this has any relevence to the problem.
>
>From START/ALL CONNECTIONS/LAN/PROPERTIS/TCP/IP/PROPERTIES I get the following
>
>HOST = 192.168.0.1
>CLIENT = Obtain an IP address automatically
>
>Here are the cdiag reports

<SNIP>

David,

I'd be very surprised if this dual identity thing (schizoid computers LOL)
doesn't make at least a portion of your problem.

How about you change the two commands in CDiag.cmd on both computers to below,
and rerun on both.

set FullTarget1=STATIC DESKTOP 192.168.0.1
set FullTarget2=MOBILE COMPAQ 192.168.0.172

Look in [C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc], in files hosts and lmhosts, and see
if you have any forgotten entries there.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

david2505
07-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Have had a look in [C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc], files hosts using
notepad and both computer have entries of 127.0.0.1 local host.

Should I delete these entries??

>
> I'd be very surprised if this dual identity thing (schizoid computers LOL)
> doesn't make at least a portion of your problem.
>
> How about you change the two commands in CDiag.cmd on both computers to below,
> and rerun on both.
>
> set FullTarget1=STATIC DESKTOP 192.168.0.1
> set FullTarget2=MOBILE COMPAQ 192.168.0.172
>
> Look in [C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc], in files hosts and lmhosts, and see
> if you have any forgotten entries there.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:53 AM
On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:43:07 -0700, david2505
<david2505@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Have had a look in [C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc], files hosts using
>notepad and both computer have entries of 127.0.0.1 local host.
>
>Should I delete these entries??

Those entries are normal. I was hoping for some explanation why both computers
seem to have dual identities. Look at Control Panel - System - Computer Name.
Hit the Change button, and note the name there. Then hit More, and note the
NetBIOS computer name. Anything?

Then run CDiag with the changes I suggested.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.


Access Denied