XP network 2 computers - can not sign on



badger man
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
We have two home computers - both have XP, and are updated regularly.

Hooked wirelessly - G - into a cable modem.

We want to be abel to share files, folders and printers on the two machines

I followed the directions from the microsoft book

ran the networking wizard, set up a user on the other machine. now I can
see the second machine when i search for networks but I can not seem to get
the sign on window to come up when i double click on the second machine name

any suggestions??

thanks

Jerry
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Try here http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm or here
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/

"badger man" <badgerman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6EBEDEB0-A001-4492-A7CD-CA611BB6F0A9@microsoft.com...
> We have two home computers - both have XP, and are updated regularly.
>
> Hooked wirelessly - G - into a cable modem.
>
> We want to be abel to share files, folders and printers on the two
> machines
>
> I followed the directions from the microsoft book
>
> ran the networking wizard, set up a user on the other machine. now I can
> see the second machine when i search for networks but I can not seem to
> get
> the sign on window to come up when i double click on the second machine
> name
>
> any suggestions??
>
> thanks

Chuck
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:02:08 -0700, "badger man"
<badgerman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We have two home computers - both have XP, and are updated regularly.
>
>Hooked wirelessly - G - into a cable modem.
>
>We want to be abel to share files, folders and printers on the two machines
>
>I followed the directions from the microsoft book
>
>ran the networking wizard, set up a user on the other machine. now I can
>see the second machine when i search for networks but I can not seem to get
>the sign on window to come up when i double click on the second machine name
>
>any suggestions??
>
>thanks

Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third party)? If
so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations are a
very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this makes a big
difference.

On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
you need to have SFS properly set on each computer.

On XP Pro with SFS disabled, setup and use a common non-Guest account on all
computers. Whatever account is used, give it an identical, non-blank password
on all computers.

On XP Home, and on XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the
Guest account is enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest, with Start - Run -
"cmd", then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the command window. Ensure
that the password for Guest is blank, with Start - Run - "control
userpasswords2"; select Guest, click Reset Password, click OK without entering a
new password.

Remember, with Simple File Sharing, you'll not be able to access "C:\Program
Files", "C:\Windows", or any of the profile related folders such as "My
Documents". All of those folders require individual user, or administrator
access, and Guest access gives you neither.

On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment,
on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this computer
from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.

If all that is done, check the browser next.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>

The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305

You can download Browstat from either:
<http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
<http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>

Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers list the same master
browser.

For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231312
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q102878/
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win95/w95brows.mspx>

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

badger man
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
thanks
ok - i will check the firewall thing

i have the XP firewall turned off

but we use Nortons internet security on both machines (updated daily) w
firewall on

i will turn off on both machines and see if that solves problem

thanks again

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:02:08 -0700, "badger man"
> <badgerman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >We have two home computers - both have XP, and are updated regularly.
> >
> >Hooked wirelessly - G - into a cable modem.
> >
> >We want to be abel to share files, folders and printers on the two machines
> >
> >I followed the directions from the microsoft book
> >
> >ran the networking wizard, set up a user on the other machine. now I can
> >see the second machine when i search for networks but I can not seem to get
> >the sign on window to come up when i double click on the second machine name
> >
> >any suggestions??
> >
> >thanks
>
> Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third party)? If
> so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations are a
> very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.
>
> Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this makes a big
> difference.
>
> On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
> Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
> you need to have SFS properly set on each computer.
>
> On XP Pro with SFS disabled, setup and use a common non-Guest account on all
> computers. Whatever account is used, give it an identical, non-blank password
> on all computers.
>
> On XP Home, and on XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the
> Guest account is enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest, with Start - Run -
> "cmd", then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the command window. Ensure
> that the password for Guest is blank, with Start - Run - "control
> userpasswords2"; select Guest, click Reset Password, click OK without entering a
> new password.
>
> Remember, with Simple File Sharing, you'll not be able to access "C:\Program
> Files", "C:\Windows", or any of the profile related folders such as "My
> Documents". All of those folders require individual user, or administrator
> access, and Guest access gives you neither.
>
> On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
> Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment,
> on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
> network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this computer
> from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.
>
> If all that is done, check the browser next.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
>
> The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
> Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
>
> You can download Browstat from either:
> <http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
> <http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>
>
> Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
> file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
> window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers list the same master
> browser.
>
> For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231312
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q102878/
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win95/w95brows.mspx>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:02:01 -0700, "badger man"
<badgerman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>thanks
>ok - i will check the firewall thing
>
>i have the XP firewall turned off
>
>but we use Nortons internet security on both machines (updated daily) w
>firewall on
>
>i will turn off on both machines and see if that solves problem
>
>thanks again

NIS / NPF is a good candidate for the cause of your problem. Turning it off may
not be the correct solution though. There are other folks who posted here in
the past who have found two possible solutions:
1) Un install, completely, following all procedures from Symantec.
2) Enable, and configure properly.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.


XP network 2 computers - can not sign on