Unable to browse network computers!



AlexGrig
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Hello!
I see such problem first time in my life!
We have network with file-server.
And we have some notebooks.
Everything working OK.

Few days ago I reinstall OS on some Notebook.

Now what I have:
I can browse Internet, I can connect to our server, I see other PC in our
network/workgroup.

But when I try to connect to some PC - I receive error : " The .... was not
found on network. Check Your..."

I check the all network settings, compare with other (same Notebook)
settings.
All the same!

But I can't connect to other PC in network only from this Notebook !!!

Can someone help me with this?

I don't understand why I can connect to SERVER, but can't connect to other
computers.

With best regards, Alexandr.

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:49:19 -0700, "AlexGrig"
<AlexGrig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello!
>I see such problem first time in my life!
>We have network with file-server.
>And we have some notebooks.
>Everything working OK.
>
>Few days ago I reinstall OS on some Notebook.
>
>Now what I have:
>I can browse Internet, I can connect to our server, I see other PC in our
>network/workgroup.
>
>But when I try to connect to some PC - I receive error : " The .... was not
>found on network. Check Your..."
>
>I check the all network settings, compare with other (same Notebook)
>settings.
>All the same!
>
>But I can't connect to other PC in network only from this Notebook !!!
>
>Can someone help me with this?
>
>I don't understand why I can connect to SERVER, but can't connect to other
>computers.
>
>With best regards, Alexandr.

Alexandr,

The browser is a very common cause of problems like yours.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>

The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305

You can download Browstat from either:
<http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
<http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>

Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers list the same master
browser.

For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231312
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q102878/
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win95/w95brows.mspx>

If that doesn't help, provide ipconfig information for at least 3 computers, as
a start. Preferably the server, the problem computer, and one of the other
computers.
1) Start - Run - "cmd".
2) Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command window.
3) Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
4) Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
5) Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next post.
6) Identify operating system (by name, version, and Service Pack level) with
each ipconfig listing.
7) Please don't munge or omit any detail, as a case like yours will best be
resolved with details.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

AlexGrig
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi!
Thank You very much for help!

Before I paste ipconfig result some more symptoms:
I can browse our workgroup and server after restart problem pc. Can't browse
other pc on network.
But after some time (something about 1 hour) - I can't browse ALL. Even
workgroup NOT ACCESSABLE!!! If restart - same again: see ALL in workgroup,
but can browse only SERVER.

I can't give you info from SERVER. But all is OK there.

Problem only on one Notebook PC - I can't access this Notebook from other
PC. But IP assigned by this Notebook ping normally.

Now IPCONFIG.TXT

1. My (admin) PC:


Windows IP Configuration



Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : administrator

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : alfastar.ee



Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:



Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : alfastar.ee

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1255TX)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-E2-34-3D-4E

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.126.115.18

194.126.101.34

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 мая 2005 г. 16:47:09

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 мая 2005 г. 17:47:09

2. Problem PC:



Windows IP Configuration



Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kaupo

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : alfastar.ee



Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:



Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
3B Mini PCI Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-87-E0-51



Ethernet adapter LAN:



Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : alfastar.ee

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-0F-5E-CB

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.82

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.126.115.18

194.126.101.34

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16. mai 2005. a. 16:31:28

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16. mai 2005. a. 17:31:28



"Chuck" wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:49:19 -0700, "AlexGrig"
> <AlexGrig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >I see such problem first time in my life!
> >We have network with file-server.
> >And we have some notebooks.
> >Everything working OK.
> >
> >Few days ago I reinstall OS on some Notebook.
> >
> >Now what I have:
> >I can browse Internet, I can connect to our server, I see other PC in our
> >network/workgroup.
> >
> >But when I try to connect to some PC - I receive error : " The .... was not
> >found on network. Check Your..."
> >
> >I check the all network settings, compare with other (same Notebook)
> >settings.
> >All the same!
> >
> >But I can't connect to other PC in network only from this Notebook !!!
> >
> >Can someone help me with this?
> >
> >I don't understand why I can connect to SERVER, but can't connect to other
> >computers.
> >
> >With best regards, Alexandr.
>
> Alexandr,
>
> The browser is a very common cause of problems like yours.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
>
> The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
> Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
>
> You can download Browstat from either:
> <http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
> <http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>
>
> Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
> file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
> window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers list the same master
> browser.
>
> For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231312
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q102878/
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win95/w95brows.mspx>
>
> If that doesn't help, provide ipconfig information for at least 3 computers, as
> a start. Preferably the server, the problem computer, and one of the other
> computers.
> 1) Start - Run - "cmd".
> 2) Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command window.
> 3) Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
> 4) Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
> 5) Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next post.
> 6) Identify operating system (by name, version, and Service Pack level) with
> each ipconfig listing.
> 7) Please don't munge or omit any detail, as a case like yours will best be
> resolved with details.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:12:03 -0700, "AlexGrig"
<AlexGrig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>Thank You very much for help!
>
>Before I paste ipconfig result some more symptoms:
>I can browse our workgroup and server after restart problem pc. Can't browse
>other pc on network.
>But after some time (something about 1 hour) - I can't browse ALL. Even
>workgroup NOT ACCESSABLE!!! If restart - same again: see ALL in workgroup,
>but can browse only SERVER.
>
>I can't give you info from SERVER. But all is OK there.
>
>Problem only on one Notebook PC - I can't access this Notebook from other
>PC. But IP assigned by this Notebook ping normally.
>
>Now IPCONFIG.TXT
>
>1. My (admin) PC:
>
>
>Windows IP Configuration
>
>
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : administrator
>
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
>
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
>
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : alfastar.ee
>
>
>
>Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
>
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : alfastar.ee
>
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1255TX)
>
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-E2-34-3D-4E
>
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99
>
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
>
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
>
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
>
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.126.115.18
>
> 194.126.101.34
>
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 ??? 2005 ?. 16:47:09
>
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 ??? 2005 ?. 17:47:09
>
>2. Problem PC:
>
>
>
>Windows IP Configuration
>
>
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kaupo
>
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
>
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
>
> IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>
> WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : alfastar.ee
>
>
>
>Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>
>
>
> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
>
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
>3B Mini PCI Adapter
>
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-87-E0-51
>
>
>
>Ethernet adapter LAN:
>
>
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : alfastar.ee
>
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
>Ethernet NIC
>
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-0F-5E-CB
>
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
>
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
>
> IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.82
>
> Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
>
> Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
>
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
>
> DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.126.115.18
>
> 194.126.101.34
>
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16. mai 2005. a. 16:31:28
>
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16. mai 2005. a. 17:31:28
Alexandr,

Well, to start, Kaupo has a peer-peer Node Type, which won't work with Node Type
Unknown on Administrator. Do you have a WINS server? If not, you'll need to
correct the Node Type.

Here are Microsoft articles discussing node types:
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314053>
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=160177>

To correct this, you'll need to run the Registry Editor on Kaupo.

You need to find this key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
and delete these two values (which ever is there):
NodeType
DhcpNodeType

After you delete the two values, reboot the computer. After the reboot, rerun
IPConfig and post the results.

The Registry Editor is a scary tool, but it's pretty simple once you get used to
it. Here are a couple articles that might help:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/tools_regeditors.asp>
<http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry>

Just remember to backup the key (create a registry patch) for:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
before deleting the values.

But your complaint about things working better after reboot, then worse after an
hour, is consistent with a browser problem. An hour (actually 48 minutes) is
the typical latency period for browser problems to correct, or manifest,
themselves. Read both articles for details:
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

AlexGrig
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi!
It was helpfull: I delete NodeType.
Now type Unknown

Thanx.

With best, Alexandr

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:12:03 -0700, "AlexGrig"
> <AlexGrig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >Thank You very much for help!
> >
> >Before I paste ipconfig result some more symptoms:
> >I can browse our workgroup and server after restart problem pc. Can't browse
> >other pc on network.
> >But after some time (something about 1 hour) - I can't browse ALL. Even
> >workgroup NOT ACCESSABLE!!! If restart - same again: see ALL in workgroup,
> >but can browse only SERVER.
> >
> >I can't give you info from SERVER. But all is OK there.
> >
> >Problem only on one Notebook PC - I can't access this Notebook from other
> >PC. But IP assigned by this Notebook ping normally.
> >
> >Now IPCONFIG.TXT
> >
> >1. My (admin) PC:
> >
> >
> >Windows IP Configuration
> >
> >
> >
> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : administrator
> >
> > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> >
> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
> >
> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> >
> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> >
> > DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : alfastar.ee
> >
> >
> >
> >Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
> >
> >
> >
> > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : alfastar.ee
> >
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1255TX)
> >
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-E2-34-3D-4E
> >
> > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> >
> > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> >
> > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99
> >
> > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> >
> > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> >
> > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> >
> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.126.115.18
> >
> > 194.126.101.34
> >
> > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 ??? 2005 ?. 16:47:09
> >
> > Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 ??? 2005 ?. 17:47:09
> >
> >2. Problem PC:
> >
> >
> >
> >Windows IP Configuration
> >
> >
> >
> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Kaupo
> >
> > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> >
> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
> >
> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> >
> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> >
> > DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : alfastar.ee
> >
> >
> >
> >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
> >
> >
> >
> > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> >
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
> >3B Mini PCI Adapter
> >
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-87-E0-51
> >
> >
> >
> >Ethernet adapter LAN:
> >
> >
> >
> > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : alfastar.ee
> >
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
> >Ethernet NIC
> >
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-0F-5E-CB
> >
> > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> >
> > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> >
> > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.82
> >
> > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> >
> > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> >
> > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
> >
> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.126.115.18
> >
> > 194.126.101.34
> >
> > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16. mai 2005. a. 16:31:28
> >
> > Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16. mai 2005. a. 17:31:28
> Alexandr,
>
> Well, to start, Kaupo has a peer-peer Node Type, which won't work with Node Type
> Unknown on Administrator. Do you have a WINS server? If not, you'll need to
> correct the Node Type.
>
> Here are Microsoft articles discussing node types:
> <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314053>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=160177>
>
> To correct this, you'll need to run the Registry Editor on Kaupo.
>
> You need to find this key:
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
> and delete these two values (which ever is there):
> NodeType
> DhcpNodeType
>
> After you delete the two values, reboot the computer. After the reboot, rerun
> IPConfig and post the results.
>
> The Registry Editor is a scary tool, but it's pretty simple once you get used to
> it. Here are a couple articles that might help:
> <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/tools_regeditors.asp>
> <http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry>
>
> Just remember to backup the key (create a registry patch) for:
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]
> before deleting the values.
>
> But your complaint about things working better after reboot, then worse after an
> hour, is consistent with a browser problem. An hour (actually 48 minutes) is
> the typical latency period for browser problems to correct, or manifest,
> themselves. Read both articles for details:
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>


Unable to browse network computers!