internet explorer crashes



jennie
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
i run IE6.0 and have roadrunner high speed internet through my cable company.
i just hooked up roadrunner and have been having all sorts of problems with
my computer now. a lot of webpages won't load-it says it's done loading but
nothing shows up, then the computer freezes up. i can't even click the task
bar at the bottom to close IE because nothing pops up. i have to open the
task manager to close IE and then it takes about a dozen tries before it will
close. after it finally closes, IE won't open anymore; nor will my control
panel, my documents folder or any of those. does anyone have any suggestions?
HELP!!!!!!

jennie
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
If anyone knows what is going on with my computer, please help ASAP.

"jennie" wrote:

> i run IE6.0 and have roadrunner high speed internet through my cable company.
> i just hooked up roadrunner and have been having all sorts of problems with
> my computer now. a lot of webpages won't load-it says it's done loading but
> nothing shows up, then the computer freezes up. i can't even click the task
> bar at the bottom to close IE because nothing pops up. i have to open the
> task manager to close IE and then it takes about a dozen tries before it will
> close. after it finally closes, IE won't open anymore; nor will my control
> panel, my documents folder or any of those. does anyone have any suggestions?
> HELP!!!!!!

Malke
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
jennie wrote:

> If anyone knows what is going on with my computer, please help ASAP.
>
> "jennie" wrote:
>
>> i run IE6.0 and have roadrunner high speed internet through my cable
>> company. i just hooked up roadrunner and have been having all sorts
>> of problems with my computer now. a lot of webpages won't load-it
>> says it's done loading but nothing shows up, then the computer
>> freezes up. i can't even click the task bar at the bottom to close IE
>> because nothing pops up. i have to open the task manager to close IE
>> and then it takes about a dozen tries before it will close. after it
>> finally closes, IE won't open anymore; nor will my control panel, my
>> documents folder or any of those. does anyone have any suggestions?
>> HELP!!!!!!

What does a scan with your antivirus show? What antivirus do you have
installed (name and version, please)? Have you done any scanning for
non-viral malware? You should do this as a first troubleshooting step.
There are detailed malware removal steps on my website here:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

Post back with the above-requested information, including the results of
your scans.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

jennie
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Thank you Malke. I will keep the information you gave me just in case I
didn't get the problem settled. I believe it ended up being a corrupt file in
IE that caused my problem though and I had to repair IE. I wish it had been
something as easy as clearing out my cookies and temp files though, but I had
already tried that because I do it on a regular basis. I also ran a virus
scan(McAfee security center....all updated) and found nothing at all there.
Hopefully I have taken care of the problem though. Thanks again.

"Malke" wrote:

> jennie wrote:
>
> > If anyone knows what is going on with my computer, please help ASAP.
> >
> > "jennie" wrote:
> >
> >> i run IE6.0 and have roadrunner high speed internet through my cable
> >> company. i just hooked up roadrunner and have been having all sorts
> >> of problems with my computer now. a lot of webpages won't load-it
> >> says it's done loading but nothing shows up, then the computer
> >> freezes up. i can't even click the task bar at the bottom to close IE
> >> because nothing pops up. i have to open the task manager to close IE
> >> and then it takes about a dozen tries before it will close. after it
> >> finally closes, IE won't open anymore; nor will my control panel, my
> >> documents folder or any of those. does anyone have any suggestions?
> >> HELP!!!!!!
>
> What does a scan with your antivirus show? What antivirus do you have
> installed (name and version, please)? Have you done any scanning for
> non-viral malware? You should do this as a first troubleshooting step.
> There are detailed malware removal steps on my website here:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> Post back with the above-requested information, including the results of
> your scans.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"
>

Malke
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
jennie wrote:

> Thank you Malke. I will keep the information you gave me just in case
> I didn't get the problem settled. I believe it ended up being a
> corrupt file in IE that caused my problem though and I had to repair
> IE. I wish it had been something as easy as clearing out my cookies
> and temp files though, but I had already tried that because I do it on
> a regular basis. I also ran a virus scan(McAfee security center....all
> updated) and found nothing at all there. Hopefully I have taken care
> of the problem though. Thanks again.
>

I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Stay safe ;-)

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User


internet explorer crashes