Need help interpretting browstat output



Robert Solomon
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
I read some of the posts here and noted that my problem matched the
browstat problem. So I d/l and ran it. But I'm having trouble
interpretting the output. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

From computer called P4
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C6C41128-
7959-44E1-BBF2-17DC8B5483BB}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.





From computer called P4a
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
{63982BF5-2485-4E30-BD46-EF1E45A12AF3}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
{28372BD7-DDCE-4755-8860-27646E896A8E}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
{32BDA32A-8F21-4773-A8D3-1C078ACD6A22}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
{575255A6-EF41-48DC-A33E-8456B33C18B5}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
{A9223FFF-CCFC-4D53-82D3-B087C6F25723}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
{8D94D3F9-2E66-4B46-9FA0-8EA2B885A74C}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{E2F6AACA-
BB91-4433-B3A1-0282670D6395}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.




From computer called P4b
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
{C0259003-75E4-4457-B489-2E4B36CEA324}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
{9EB94CAA-AF03-4E48-9A61-197B2F9DD995}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
{CBA4ED03-F4BF-4BB3-9041-FEE401373A57}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
{8E3E976C-8919-4DE0-803E-CD020000C8A9}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
{C8C2F496-218B-4C76-936A-F27BA115E8F8}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
{62C1E184-650F-4105-8998-C7367CB18F7C}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_{3BB0BA97-1EF4-
41EF-BF84-7E97668D36A5}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: <some garbage characters here>
Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine
build of browser master: 53
Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
1 backup servers retrieved from master <garbage characters>
\\P4B
Unable to retrieve server list from <garbage characters>: 2351
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3BB0BA97-
1EF4-41EF-BF84-7E97668D36A5}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Chuck
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:24:34 -0400, Robert Solomon <rob@drrob1.com> wrote:

>I read some of the posts here and noted that my problem matched the
>browstat problem. So I d/l and ran it. But I'm having trouble
>interpretting the output. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Rob
>
>From computer called P4
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C6C41128-
>7959-44E1-BBF2-17DC8B5483BB}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>
>
>
>
>
>From computer called P4a
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{63982BF5-2485-4E30-BD46-EF1E45A12AF3}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{28372BD7-DDCE-4755-8860-27646E896A8E}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{32BDA32A-8F21-4773-A8D3-1C078ACD6A22}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{575255A6-EF41-48DC-A33E-8456B33C18B5}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{A9223FFF-CCFC-4D53-82D3-B087C6F25723}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{8D94D3F9-2E66-4B46-9FA0-8EA2B885A74C}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{E2F6AACA-
>BB91-4433-B3A1-0282670D6395}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>
>
>
>
>From computer called P4b
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{C0259003-75E4-4457-B489-2E4B36CEA324}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{9EB94CAA-AF03-4E48-9A61-197B2F9DD995}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{CBA4ED03-F4BF-4BB3-9041-FEE401373A57}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{8E3E976C-8919-4DE0-803E-CD020000C8A9}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{C8C2F496-218B-4C76-936A-F27BA115E8F8}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{62C1E184-650F-4105-8998-C7367CB18F7C}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_{3BB0BA97-1EF4-
>41EF-BF84-7E97668D36A5}
> Browsing is active on domain.
> Master browser name is: <some garbage characters here>
>Could not connect to registry, error = 53 Unable to determine
>build of browser master: 53
> Unable to determine server information for browser master: 123
> 1 backup servers retrieved from master <garbage characters>
>\\P4B
> Unable to retrieve server list from <garbage characters>: 2351
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3BB0BA97-
>1EF4-41EF-BF84-7E97668D36A5}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Rob,

Which computer is running the browser?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>

Are you running XP Home, XP Pro, a combination, other? All of this makes a
difference in the results in browstat.

What protocols are you running on your LAN? Windows networking is built around
TCP/IP, and uses NetBIOS Over TCP/IP as an interface to file and printer
sharing.

Installation of IPX/SPX, NetBEUI, or Ndis serves as a workaround when the
problem is related to the TCP/IP on the LAN (maybe a firewall misconfigured).
If you have physical connectivity issues, or if file sharing is not set up
properly on one or more computers, adding IPX/SPX or NetBEUI will not help. And
if you don't setup IPX/SPX or NetBEUI properly, it will simply hamper diagnosing
the actual problem.

If there's a problem with TCP/IP, or with NBT, IPX/SPX or NetBEUI may provide a
workaround. But it will also add needless complexity, and may cause long term
stability problems.

If the problem being experienced is caused by authentication / authorisation,
IPX/SPX or NetBEUI won't resolve anything.

Fix the problem. Don't add to it.

Here are a couple good articles on the subject (remember, WinXP is WinNT V5.1):
<http://support.microsoft.com/?id=128233>
<http://www.networkmagazine.com/article/NMG20000517S0009>
<http://www.ultratech-llc.com/BrainWave/TechDocs/Resolution.html>

To start, you need to eliminate excess protocols from the list of items under
Local Area Connection Properties. You only need the following items in the
list:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler (optional)
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Then, make sure that NetBIOS Over TCP/IP is enabled on each computer. Local
Area Connection - Properties - TCP/IP - Properties - Advanced - WINS - Enable
NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

You specifically don't require IPX/SPX, NetBEUI, or Ndis.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

Robert Solomon
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
>I read some of the posts here and noted that my problem matched the
>browstat problem. So I d/l and ran it. But I'm having trouble
>interpretting the output. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Rob
>
>From computer called P4
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C6C41128-
>7959-44E1-BBF2-17DC8B5483BB}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>
>
>
>
>
>From computer called P4a
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{63982BF5-2485-4E30-BD46-EF1E45A12AF3}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{28372BD7-DDCE-4755-8860-27646E896A8E}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{32BDA32A-8F21-4773-A8D3-1C078ACD6A22}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{575255A6-EF41-48DC-A33E-8456B33C18B5}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>{A9223FFF-CCFC-4D53-82D3-B087C6F25723}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>{8D94D3F9-2E66-4B46-9FA0-8EA2B885A74C}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{E2F6AACA-
>BB91-4433-B3A1-0282670D6395}
> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

All computers posted are running WinXP Pro SP2
All computers only have tcp/ip and use NetBIOS over tcp/ip. No other
protocols are installed.

I went thru the steps you suggest to confirm this. The links you post
are far too technical for me. For example, the following passage seems
to be relevant to my problem, but it describes an option I cannot find.
That is, it says to "go into the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel
and enable "Use DNS for Windows Resolution". I see stuff about DNS
suffixes and the like, but I am afraid that I'll make my problem works
if I muck w/ these settings.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks again,
Rob




The Need For Name Resolution

To ensure successful communication on a network, your systems need to be
able to associate a name with an IP (or other relevant network number)
so that users do not need to memorize the numeric identifier, such as a
TCP/IP address. Proper name resolution is essential for fast network
communication, and if it is not configured correctly, your network will
be slow, and your network users will be unhappy.

On Windows networks running TCP/IP, the following options exist for name
resolution:
Host Name Resolution
HOSTS ............... Static
DNS ................... Dynamic
NetBIOS Name Resolution
LMHOSTS ........... Static
WINS ................. Dynamic
DNS ................... Dynamic (not the default for NT4 or earlier)
HOSTS ............... Static (with NT/2000/XP/2003)
Although commonly advocated, there is no need to run NETBEUI on your
Windows network. It is a chatty, non-routable broadcast protocol, and
only useful on very small networks, or if you don't want to connect to
the Internet at all. Instead, you can rely on NetBIOS support, tunneled
over another protocol such as TCP/IP. All versions of 32-bit Windows
support NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

If you want to use DNS for resolving NetBIOS names on versions of
Windows prior to Windows 2000, you must go into the TCP/IP properties in
the Control Panel and enable "Use DNS for Windows Resolution". With
2000, XP and 2003, Windows has an increased reliance on DNS, whether on
a peer network or through Active Directory.
If you are unable to get Windows 95/98/ME machines to talk to systems in
the Windows NT-family without installing NetBEUI, then it is very likely
that you have not setup NetBIOS Name Resolution for your client systems.
Also, remember that NetBIOS traffic should always be confined to your
internal network ONLY. There is no need to allow NetBIOS traffic to
traverse the Internet or another public network without the benefit of a
VPN.

Chuck
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:01:46 -0400, Robert Solomon <rob@drrob1.com> wrote:

>>I read some of the posts here and noted that my problem matched the
>>browstat problem. So I d/l and ran it. But I'm having trouble
>>interpretting the output. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Rob
>>
>>From computer called P4
>>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C6C41128-
>>7959-44E1-BBF2-17DC8B5483BB}
>> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>From computer called P4a
>>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>>{63982BF5-2485-4E30-BD46-EF1E45A12AF3}
>> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>>{28372BD7-DDCE-4755-8860-27646E896A8E}
>> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>>{32BDA32A-8F21-4773-A8D3-1C078ACD6A22}
>> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>>{575255A6-EF41-48DC-A33E-8456B33C18B5}
>> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfOut
>>{A9223FFF-CCFC-4D53-82D3-B087C6F25723}
>> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
>>{8D94D3F9-2E66-4B46-9FA0-8EA2B885A74C}
>> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>>Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{E2F6AACA-
>>BB91-4433-B3A1-0282670D6395}
>> Browsing is NOT active on domain.
>> Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
>
>All computers posted are running WinXP Pro SP2
>All computers only have tcp/ip and use NetBIOS over tcp/ip. No other
>protocols are installed.
>
>I went thru the steps you suggest to confirm this. The links you post
>are far too technical for me. For example, the following passage seems
>to be relevant to my problem, but it describes an option I cannot find.
>That is, it says to "go into the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel
>and enable "Use DNS for Windows Resolution". I see stuff about DNS
>suffixes and the like, but I am afraid that I'll make my problem works
>if I muck w/ these settings.
>
>Is there anything else I can try?
>
>Thanks again,
>Rob

Rob,

Here is the basic instruction.

You need to eliminate excess protocols from the list of items under
(Start - Settings - Network Connections) - Local Area Connection - Properties.
You only need the following items in the list:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler (optional)
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Then, make sure that NetBIOS Over TCP/IP is enabled on each computer. (Start -
Settings - Network Connections) - Local Area Connection - Properties - TCP/IP -
Properties - Advanced - WINS - Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

With my computers setup precisely thus, here's an example of my browstat
(cleaned up but still representative):

Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9533CE32-D69F-4E8E-A07B-7760E2099572}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: MyComp2
Master browser is running build 2195
2 backup servers retrieved from master MyComp2
\\MyComp2
\\MyComp1
There are 3 servers in domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9533CE32-D69F-4E8E-A07B-7760E2099572}
There are 1 domains in domain WORKGROUP on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9533CE32-D69F-4E8E-A07B-7760E2099572}

Your browstat, on the other hand, shows more components.

From computer called P4a
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
{63982BF5-2485-4E30-BD46-EF1E45A12AF3}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn
{28372BD7-DDCE-4755-8860-27646E896A8E}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Note the entries in my browstat (just one of these).
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{9533CE32-D69F-4E8E-A07B-7760E2099572}

And in yours (lots of these).
\Device\Nbf_NdisWanNbfIn{28372BD7-DDCE-4755-8860-27646E896A8E}

Let's take a step back and look at the IP configurations for each computer, as a
start.
1) Start - Run - "cmd".
2) Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command window.
3) Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
4) Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
5) Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next post.
6) Identify operating system (by name, version, and Service Pack level) with
each ipconfig listing.
7) Please don't munge or omit any detail, as a case like yours will best be
resolved with details.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

Robert Solomon
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
I tried to restart the browser service from control panel -> admin ->
services. This did not help. I edited the reg key HKLM\ SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Browser\ Parameters IsDomainMaster to
"yes" from "no" and rebooted. I left the MaintainServerList key with
"auto" as its setting. This also did not help.

I don't know what else to do.
Thanks,
Rob


P4--WinXP Pro sp2
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : p4
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-47-2B-04-85
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.138
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 167.206.3.212
167.206.3.211
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 14, 2005
7:25:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 25, 2005
11:25:04 AM

Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C6C41128-
7959-44E1-BBF2-17DC8B5483BB}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
-----------------------------------------------------------
P4a is WinXP Pro sp2
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : p4a
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-64-F5-F3
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 167.206.3.212
167.206.3.211
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 14, 2005
7:36:36 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 25, 2005
11:36:36 AM

Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{E2F6AACA-
BB91-4433-B3A1-0282670D6395}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
P4b is WinXP pro sp2
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : P4b
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-EC-51-3E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.105
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.123.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 167.206.3.212
167.206.3.211
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 14, 2005
7:24:29 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 25, 2005
11:24:29 AM

Status for domain WORKGROUP on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{3BB0BA97-
1EF4-41EF-BF84-7E97668D36A5}
Browsing is NOT active on domain.
Master name cannot be determined from GetAdapterStatus.

Chuck
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
On Sun, 15 May 2005 00:08:24 -0400, Robert Solomon <rob@drrob1.com> wrote:

>I tried to restart the browser service from control panel -> admin ->
>services. This did not help. I edited the reg key HKLM\ SYSTEM\
>CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Browser\ Parameters IsDomainMaster to
>"yes" from "no" and rebooted. I left the MaintainServerList key with
>"auto" as its setting. This also did not help.
>
>I don't know what else to do.
>Thanks,
>Rob

Rob,

Well, you at least cleaned up the protocol lines in browstat. What did you do
to get that result?

Which computer did you try to restart the browser on? What error did you get?
Can you find any error messages in (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) -
Event Viewer? Can you copy and paste any messages into your next post?

Did you verify the correct protocol stack, on all 3 computers, exactly as I
instructed in my last post?

I look at my computer, at the Computer Browser service, and I see that it
depends upon 2 components:
Server (aka File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks)
Workstation (aka Client for Microsoft Networks)

With those 2 components available, my Computer Browser service shows as Started,
with Startup type Automatic.

Please check all 3 of your computers, and look for differences between my
observations and yours.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

Robert Solomon
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
In article <mcjd811mormve1ia49u6mt3sgph1au9lkq@4ax.com>,
none@example.net says...
> Rob,
>
> Well, you at least cleaned up the protocol lines in browstat. What did you do
> to get that result?
>
> Which computer did you try to restart the browser on? What error did you get?
> Can you find any error messages in (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) -
> Event Viewer? Can you copy and paste any messages into your next post?
>
> Did you verify the correct protocol stack, on all 3 computers, exactly as I
> instructed in my last post?
>
I uninstalled netbeui from the secondary computers (p4a and p4b). I
have tried to restart the browser on P4 and P4a. On P4a I got the error
that it failed to respond, I think the error was like 1071.

I suspect this is a conflict. What are you using for security software?
I have Panda, Sygate personal and counterspy.

Chuck
07-10-2005, 01:52 AM
On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:35:09 -0400, Robert Solomon <rob@drrob1.com> wrote:

>In article <mcjd811mormve1ia49u6mt3sgph1au9lkq@4ax.com>,
>none@example.net says...
>> Rob,
>>
>> Well, you at least cleaned up the protocol lines in browstat. What did you do
>> to get that result?
>>
>> Which computer did you try to restart the browser on? What error did you get?
>> Can you find any error messages in (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) -
>> Event Viewer? Can you copy and paste any messages into your next post?
>>
>> Did you verify the correct protocol stack, on all 3 computers, exactly as I
>> instructed in my last post?
>>
>I uninstalled netbeui from the secondary computers (p4a and p4b). I
>have tried to restart the browser on P4 and P4a. On P4a I got the error
>that it failed to respond, I think the error was like 1071.
>
>I suspect this is a conflict. What are you using for security software?
>I have Panda, Sygate personal and counterspy.

Rob,

NetBEUI would be a good thing to remove. Glad we got THAT out of the way. :)

Panda (Anti Virus) and Counterspy (Anti Spyware) are innocuous, in this context.
Sygate, OTOH, may well be causing problems. See if you can find the error when
you tried on P4a, in (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - Event Viewer, and
copy and paste it into your next post.

Are you behind a router? If so, un installing Sygate won't be unsafe, and is
the best way to start IMHO. Just follow all instructions from Sygate carefully.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.


Need help interpretting browstat output