Re: Toggling Simple/Advanced File Sharing! NEED HELP PLEASE!!



Steve Winograd [MVP]
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
In article <#BUWQ3bVFHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Malke
<invalid@not-real.com> wrote:
>Anonymous wrote:
>> Thank you in adancve for any help I can get with my problem. When I
>> installed Windows XP Professional the second time, and was setting up
>> the network during installation, I decided to try "advanced" file
>> sharing this
>> time. Now, none of the 4 other computers in the home network can
>> access my
>> shared files! They can't even browse the folders. 2 of these
>> computers also
>> use Windows XP professional, the other 2 use 98SE. I would like to
>> know how to set file sharing back to Simple mode like I had it before,
>> without
>> re-installing Windows. This problem is very annoying in my house's
>> home
>> netowkr because I am like a file server. The other computers often
>> open files from the databases on my computer (including music, movies,
>> and games).
>> Thanks again in advance for any help with this!
>>
>> - Matt
>
>Enable Simple File Sharing from the Folders Options applet in Control
>Panel. Look on the View tab. All your XP computers need to be set the
>same.
>
>Malke

Hi, Malke. My home network has some computers with simple file
sharing enabled and some with simple file sharing disabled.
Everything seems to work, and they can all access each other's shared
resources. What would be the advantage of using the same setting on
all of them?
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Malke
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote:

>
> Hi, Malke. My home network has some computers with simple file
> sharing enabled and some with simple file sharing disabled.
> Everything seems to work, and they can all access each other's shared
> resources. What would be the advantage of using the same setting on
> all of them?

Interesting, Steve. This must have to do with the Guest account enabling
somehow, and you are the expert there - not I! As you know, my own
network is a mixed os one, with Guest disabled by default on all the
*nix boxen. Therefore, I always have identical user accounts/passwords
on all the machines so as to be able to share files. I recently added
an XP Home laptop and that shares nicely too, but of course the same
user accounts are on that machine.

Since XP Home only authenticates via Guest (and I think I got that info
from you), if Guest is disabled on the other machines and if the same
user accounts weren't on the Home box, wouldn't sharing fail?

So, the short (confused) answer is "I thought you told me to have all
the Simple Sharing settings the same OR have identical user accounts
and passwords created". If I'm wrong, of course I want you to set me
right.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Steve Winograd [MVP]
07-10-2005, 01:51 AM
In article <#hQ0dxiVFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Malke
<invalid@not-real.com> wrote:
>>>Enable Simple File Sharing from the Folders Options applet in Control
>>>Panel. Look on the View tab. All your XP computers need to be set the
>>>same.
>>
>>Hi, Malke. My home network has some computers with simple file
>>sharing enabled and some with simple file sharing disabled.
>>Everything seems to work, and they can all access each other's shared
>>resources. What would be the advantage of using the same setting on
>>all of them?
>
>Interesting, Steve. This must have to do with the Guest account enabling
>somehow, and you are the expert there - not I! As you know, my own
>network is a mixed os one, with Guest disabled by default on all the
>*nix boxen. Therefore, I always have identical user accounts/passwords
>on all the machines so as to be able to share files. I recently added
>an XP Home laptop and that shares nicely too, but of course the same
>user accounts are on that machine.
>
>Since XP Home only authenticates via Guest (and I think I got that info
>from you), if Guest is disabled on the other machines and if the same
>user accounts weren't on the Home box, wouldn't sharing fail?
>
>So, the short (confused) answer is "I thought you told me to have all
>the Simple Sharing settings the same OR have identical user accounts
>and passwords created". If I'm wrong, of course I want you to set me
>right.
>
>Malke

I'm sorry if something that I've said misled you, Malke. I'll try to
give the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth here. :-)

Here's the short version of my reply:

1. It isn't necessary to have simple file sharing enabled on all
computers or to have it disabled on all computers. A mixture is fine.

2. When accessing a computer that has simple file sharing enabled,
user accounts are irrelevant.

3. When accessing a computer that has simple file sharing disabled,
matching user accounts are required on both computers.

Here's the long version of my reply. When Computer A (any operating
system) tries to access a shared disk or folder belonging to Computer
B (Windows XP):

1. Computer A sends the credentials (user name and password) of its
logged-in user to Computer B for validation.

2. Computer B decides whether to grant access based on:

a. the credentials provided by Computer A.

b. the simple file sharing, Guest account, and permission settings
on Computer B.

3. The simple file sharing, Guest account, and permission settings on
Computer A are irrelevant. That information isn't sent to Computer B,
and it plays no part in the process.

As you say, simple file sharing authenticates network access via the
Guest account. That means that Computer B ignores the credentials
provided by Computer A and uses the Guest account settings on Computer
B to decide whether to grant access.

Simple file sharing is always enabled in XP Home. You can enable or
disable it in XP Pro.

When simple file sharing is enabled on Computer B, here's how it
decides whether to grant access to the user on Computer A:

1. If the Guest account is disabled for network access on Computer B,
it denies access.

2. If the Guest account is enabled for network access and has a
network password, Computer B prompts the user on Computer A to enter
the password.

3. If the Guest account is enabled for network access and doesn't have
a network password, Computer B grants access.

When simple file sharing is disabled, here's how Computer B decides
whether to grant access to the user on Computer A:

1. It looks for the user name and password of the Computer A user in
the permissions for the shared disk or folder on Computer B.

2. If the user name and password aren't found, it asks Computer A to
prompt the user for a different set of credentials. If Computer A
runs Windows XP, it displays the prompt to the user. If Computer A
runs Windows 95/98/Me, it displays the infamous IPC$ prompt, to which
there's no valid response.

3. If the user name and password are found, it grants the type of
access defined for that user.

I hope that all of this makes sense!
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com


Re: Toggling Simple/Advanced File Sharing! NEED HELP PLEASE!!