DVD-RW won't detect a writable DVD-RW



Brandon
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
For some reason, my DVD-RW drive(s) (I've bought more since this started to
happen) will no longer detect writable DVDs or CDs. I installed a new
DVD-RW burner earlier, about 30 minutes ago actually, and when I inserted a
blank DVD-RW, the drive blinked several times and then just stayed lit. I'm
fairly certain that this is a Windows problem instead of a drive problem.
Can anyone help me with this?

Shenan Stanley
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Brandon wrote:
> For some reason, my DVD-RW drive(s) (I've bought more since this
> started to happen) will no longer detect writable DVDs or CDs. I
> installed a new DVD-RW burner earlier, about 30 minutes ago actually,
> and when I inserted a blank DVD-RW, the drive blinked several times
> and then just stayed lit. I'm fairly certain that this is a Windows
> problem instead of a drive problem. Can anyone help me with this?

If you go into your system BIOS (before Windows ever loads) and then eject
the empty drive bay, insert a DVD and watch the light - what happens?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Brandon
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
I know that it laready detect regular DVDs and CDs in Windows. I forogot to
mention that.

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%236JsPhDhFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> If you go into your system BIOS (before Windows ever loads) and then eject
> the empty drive bay, insert a DVD and watch the light - what happens?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>

Shenan Stanley
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Brandon wrote:
> For some reason, my DVD-RW drive(s) (I've bought more since this
> started to happen) will no longer detect writable DVDs or CDs. I
> installed a new DVD-RW burner earlier, about 30 minutes ago actually,
> and when I inserted a blank DVD-RW, the drive blinked several times
> and then just stayed lit. I'm fairly certain that this is a Windows
> problem instead of a drive problem. Can anyone help me with this?

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> If you go into your system BIOS (before Windows ever loads) and then
> eject the empty drive bay, insert a DVD and watch the light - what
> happens?

Brandon wrote:
> I know that it laready detect regular DVDs and CDs in Windows. I
> forogot to mention that.

Okay - but that does not answer the question asked..

How does it react when Windows is out of the picture. You were quick to
blame Windows - this is why I gave you the test to see how the drives react
when Windows is NOT in the picture.

Or, are you saying it no longer pops up in Windows and ask uyou what to do
with the blank CD/DVDs and this is your problem? Can you still write to the
blank CD/DVDs using whatever method you had grown accustomed to using *if*
you go through the application(s) manually (without notification from
Windows that you have inserted a blank CD/DVD)?

Have you checked the properties of the drive (the recording tab
specifically, and the autoplay tab) to make sure they are configured
properly?
Do you have more than one CD/DVD writer currently in your system (at the
same time) and do they both react like this?
What application(s) do you use to burn CD/DVDs?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


DVD-RW won't detect a writable DVD-RW