XP load time longer after crash



big_kel
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook and XP
crashed and when I restarted XP it takes longer to load and every other
program/task I try to run takes longer to start up.

I did a memory test and there's no problems. I tried booting up when the
temperature colled down and it still took a long time to load.

What is going on here?

Shenan Stanley
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
big_kel wrote:
> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook
> and XP crashed and when I restarted XP it takes longer to load and
> every other program/task I try to run takes longer to start up.
>
> I did a memory test and there's no problems. I tried booting up when
> the temperature colled down and it still took a long time to load.
>
> What is going on here?

Why did it crash initially?
Did you look through the event log and troubleshoot that first?

Have you backed up your important data for safety?
Have you looked through your startup applications?
Checked for latest drivers and BIOS updates?
Contacted the system manufacturer?
Checked for and eliminated spyware/adware?
Checked for and eliminated viruses and such?
Ran hardware checks on your memory and hard disk drive(s)?
Ran CHKDSK on your hard disk drive(s)?
Defragmented your hard disk drive(s)?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

big_kel
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Thanks for that.

I did a RAM test and it did not come back with any problems. But now the
laptop is getting worse. When I try to shut the notebook down it would go
through the usual process but then a BSOD would appear. I then tried to boot
up the notebook and again it came up with a BSOD after the Windows XP loading
screen.

I don't know what's going on here.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> big_kel wrote:
> > I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook
> > and XP crashed and when I restarted XP it takes longer to load and
> > every other program/task I try to run takes longer to start up.
> >
> > I did a memory test and there's no problems. I tried booting up when
> > the temperature colled down and it still took a long time to load.
> >
> > What is going on here?
>
> Why did it crash initially?
> Did you look through the event log and troubleshoot that first?
>
> Have you backed up your important data for safety?
> Have you looked through your startup applications?
> Checked for latest drivers and BIOS updates?
> Contacted the system manufacturer?
> Checked for and eliminated spyware/adware?
> Checked for and eliminated viruses and such?
> Ran hardware checks on your memory and hard disk drive(s)?
> Ran CHKDSK on your hard disk drive(s)?
> Defragmented your hard disk drive(s)?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>

big_kel
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> big_kel wrote:
> > I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook
> > and XP crashed and when I restarted XP it takes longer to load and
> > every other program/task I try to run takes longer to start up.
> >
> > I did a memory test and there's no problems. I tried booting up when
> > the temperature colled down and it still took a long time to load.
> >
> > What is going on here?
>
> Why did it crash initially?
> Did you look through the event log and troubleshoot that first?
>
> Have you backed up your important data for safety?
> Have you looked through your startup applications?
> Checked for latest drivers and BIOS updates?
> Contacted the system manufacturer?
> Checked for and eliminated spyware/adware?
> Checked for and eliminated viruses and such?
> Ran hardware checks on your memory and hard disk drive(s)?
> Ran CHKDSK on your hard disk drive(s)?
> Defragmented your hard disk drive(s)?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>

I have tried your ideas like defragging the HDD and running chkdsk, and I
don't know what to make of it. When I ran Battlefield 2 before the crash it
loaded quicker and the intro videos didn't stutter. Now, when I start
Battlefield 2 it takes longer to load the maps and the intro videos stutter.

It's a real pain and what makes it a real pain is that I don't know what's
causing the problem.

Shenan Stanley
07-10-2005, 01:43 AM
big_kel wrote:
> I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook
> and XP crashed and when I restarted XP it takes longer to load and
> every other program/task I try to run takes longer to start up.
>
> I did a memory test and there's no problems. I tried booting up when
> the temperature colled down and it still took a long time to load.
>
> What is going on here?

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Why did it crash initially?
> Did you look through the event log and troubleshoot that first?
>
> Have you backed up your important data for safety?
> Have you looked through your startup applications?
> Checked for latest drivers and BIOS updates?
> Contacted the system manufacturer?
> Checked for and eliminated spyware/adware?
> Checked for and eliminated viruses and such?
> Ran hardware checks on your memory and hard disk drive(s)?
> Ran CHKDSK on your hard disk drive(s)?
> Defragmented your hard disk drive(s)?

big_kel wrote:
> I did a RAM test and it did not come back with any problems. But now
> the laptop is getting worse. When I try to shut the notebook down it
> would go through the usual process but then a BSOD would appear. I
> then tried to boot up the notebook and again it came up with a BSOD
> after the Windows XP loading screen.

big_kel wrote:
> I have tried your ideas like defragging the HDD and running chkdsk,
> and I don't know what to make of it. When I ran Battlefield 2 before
> the crash it loaded quicker and the intro videos didn't stutter. Now,
> when I start Battlefield 2 it takes longer to load the maps and the
> intro videos stutter.
>
> It's a real pain and what makes it a real pain is that I don't know
> what's causing the problem.

Looking at your two responses, you really did not do much - or at least tell
us about it. So far I have you testing your memory (with what memory test?)
and then you defragmented and ran CHKDSK. The last thing you do in the
whole list of things you can do to repair a system is defragment. You have
to clean it of all other problems before you go about moving the data about
on your hard drive. That's why I listed it last.

You still have not told us anymore than you did before.
I still find myself with the same questions where your problem is
concerned.. Remember - only you can see your problem right now - especially
here. If I told you my cell phone didn't work (Blackberry 7100g) and I
turned it off/on but that did not help - do you have enough information to
fix it? Or my car doesn't run (Ford Mustang) but I have changed the oil and
other fluids and put in a full tank of gas - can you fix it? So - here are
the questions again - but this time with more speciic ways to help you
answer the questions.

Did you back anything up - in case this is a sign of a hardware failure?
How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422


Have you looked through the event log for errors?
How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/308427


Have you looked through your startup applications and left only ones you
need?
-Configuring Services
http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html
-Task List Programs
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
-Processes in Windows NT/2000/XP
http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/
-Startups
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php


Checked for latest drivers and BIOS updates?
-Bios, Driver, Firmware, Utility & Application......
http://global.acer.com/support/index.htm
(Perhaps you would like to try http://support.acer.com.au/ first..?)
(I found 15 downloads available for the Acer Ferrari 3200, 13 of them for
Windows XP..)


Contacted the system manufacturer?
http://support.acer.com.au/
http://support.acer.com.au/aca/feedback.nsf/feedbackTS?openform


Checked for and eliminated spyware/adware? (At least the first 5 products
below should be used.)
-Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
-Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )
-Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )
-Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )
-SpywareBlaster (Free!)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate6 )
-IE-SPYAD2 (Free!)
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )
-CWShredder Stand-Alone (Free!)
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
-Hijack This! (Free!)
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
(Log Analyzer: http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/ )
-ToolbarCop (Free!)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
-Microsoft AntiSpyware BETA (in testing stages - Free!)
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/fqur )


Checked for and eliminated viruses and such? (Use something other than your
native scanner.)
( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )
-Panda Antivirus (Free Online Scanner)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
-RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
-Trend Micro (Free Online Scanner)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp


Ran hardware checks on your memory and hard disk drive(s)?
-Microsoft Online Crash Analysis
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
(Your hard disk test should be available fro the hard disk manufacturer's
web page.. You'll have to look on the hard drive to know who that is.)


Ran CHKDSK/Defrag on your hard disk drive(s)? (LAST THING YOU DO!)
-How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
-How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
-How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848


If you have done all of that and more - come back and tell us the results.
Don't forget that even the games you play, applications you use, etc - may
have upgrade available for them to fix stability and slowness issues. Use
the manual that came with your system (can't find it? Look here:
http://snipurl.com/g565 ) and make sure your settings are all normal.. And
see how you would restore your sytstem to the state it was when you bought
it (That may end up being the easiest option for you.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

big_kel
07-10-2005, 10:35 AM
I don't know...it crashed a few times, first 2 times were when I was watching
a dvd (once from an external hdd and the other from the disc), following was
when it was just sitting idle, then while playing Battlefield 2, then during
shut down and then start up. All have a hot hdd at the time.

I did the RAM test using memtest86 and it came with no errors. Before that I
ran the microsoft's any spyware beta scanner, then ran chkdsk, then defrag
the hdd. Even after that it seems to be loading slowly, the desktop icons and
the taskbar seem to load longer usual. I even tried prime95.

I hope it helps a little more though. I will contact Acer to see if that can
have a look at it.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> big_kel wrote:
> > I'm running Windows XP Home Edition on my Acer Ferrari 3200 notebook
> > and XP crashed and when I restarted XP it takes longer to load and
> > every other program/task I try to run takes longer to start up.
> >
> > I did a memory test and there's no problems. I tried booting up when
> > the temperature colled down and it still took a long time to load.
> >
> > What is going on here?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Why did it crash initially?
> > Did you look through the event log and troubleshoot that first?
> >
> > Have you backed up your important data for safety?
> > Have you looked through your startup applications?
> > Checked for latest drivers and BIOS updates?
> > Contacted the system manufacturer?
> > Checked for and eliminated spyware/adware?
> > Checked for and eliminated viruses and such?
> > Ran hardware checks on your memory and hard disk drive(s)?
> > Ran CHKDSK on your hard disk drive(s)?
> > Defragmented your hard disk drive(s)?
>
> big_kel wrote:
> > I did a RAM test and it did not come back with any problems. But now
> > the laptop is getting worse. When I try to shut the notebook down it
> > would go through the usual process but then a BSOD would appear. I
> > then tried to boot up the notebook and again it came up with a BSOD
> > after the Windows XP loading screen.
>
> big_kel wrote:
> > I have tried your ideas like defragging the HDD and running chkdsk,
> > and I don't know what to make of it. When I ran Battlefield 2 before
> > the crash it loaded quicker and the intro videos didn't stutter. Now,
> > when I start Battlefield 2 it takes longer to load the maps and the
> > intro videos stutter.
> >
> > It's a real pain and what makes it a real pain is that I don't know
> > what's causing the problem.
>
> Looking at your two responses, you really did not do much - or at least tell
> us about it. So far I have you testing your memory (with what memory test?)
> and then you defragmented and ran CHKDSK. The last thing you do in the
> whole list of things you can do to repair a system is defragment. You have
> to clean it of all other problems before you go about moving the data about
> on your hard drive. That's why I listed it last.
>
> You still have not told us anymore than you did before.
> I still find myself with the same questions where your problem is
> concerned.. Remember - only you can see your problem right now - especially
> here. If I told you my cell phone didn't work (Blackberry 7100g) and I
> turned it off/on but that did not help - do you have enough information to
> fix it? Or my car doesn't run (Ford Mustang) but I have changed the oil and
> other fluids and put in a full tank of gas - can you fix it? So - here are
> the questions again - but this time with more speciic ways to help you
> answer the questions.
>
> Did you back anything up - in case this is a sign of a hardware failure?
> How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422
>
>
> Have you looked through the event log for errors?
> How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/308427
>
>
> Have you looked through your startup applications and left only ones you
> need?
> -Configuring Services
> http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html
> -Task List Programs
> http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
> -Processes in Windows NT/2000/XP
> http://www.reger24.de/prozesse/
> -Startups
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
>
>
> Checked for latest drivers and BIOS updates?
> -Bios, Driver, Firmware, Utility & Application......
> http://global.acer.com/support/index.htm
> (Perhaps you would like to try http://support.acer.com.au/ first..?)
> (I found 15 downloads available for the Acer Ferrari 3200, 13 of them for
> Windows XP..)
>
>
> Contacted the system manufacturer?
> http://support.acer.com.au/
> http://support.acer.com.au/aca/feedback.nsf/feedbackTS?openform
>
>
> Checked for and eliminated spyware/adware? (At least the first 5 products
> below should be used.)
> -Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
> -Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
> (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )
> -Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
> http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
> (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )
> -Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
> (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )
> -SpywareBlaster (Free!)
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html
> (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate6 )
> -IE-SPYAD2 (Free!)
> https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm
> (How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate7 )
> -CWShredder Stand-Alone (Free!)
> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
> -Hijack This! (Free!)
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
> (Log Analyzer: http://hjt.iamnotageek.com/ )
> -ToolbarCop (Free!)
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
> -Microsoft AntiSpyware BETA (in testing stages - Free!)
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/
> (How-to: http://snipurl.com/fqur )
>
>
> Checked for and eliminated viruses and such? (Use something other than your
> native scanner.)
> ( Good Comparison Page for AV software: http://www.av-comparatives.org/ )
> -Panda Antivirus (Free Online Scanner)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
> -RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
> -Trend Micro (Free Online Scanner)
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
>
>
> Ran hardware checks on your memory and hard disk drive(s)?
> -Microsoft Online Crash Analysis
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
> (Your hard disk test should be available fro the hard disk manufacturer's
> web page.. You'll have to look on the hard drive to know who that is.)
>
>
> Ran CHKDSK/Defrag on your hard disk drive(s)? (LAST THING YOU DO!)
> -How to use Disk Cleanup
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
> -How to scan your disks for errors
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
> -How to Defragment your hard drives
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
>
>
> If you have done all of that and more - come back and tell us the results.
> Don't forget that even the games you play, applications you use, etc - may
> have upgrade available for them to fix stability and slowness issues. Use
> the manual that came with your system (can't find it? Look here:
> http://snipurl.com/g565 ) and make sure your settings are all normal.. And
> see how you would restore your sytstem to the state it was when you bought
> it (That may end up being the easiest option for you.)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>


XP load time longer after crash