Windows Explorer Headache!



Orson
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Hi,

Whenever I try to open a window that involves Windows Explorer, such
as My Documents, all the Desktop icons disappear for 3-5 seconds and
I'm back on the Desktop again!

In other words, I cannot open a Windows Explorer window.

Any ideas?

TIA

Byte
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Increasing your RAM may solve that.
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.


"Orson" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whenever I try to open a window that involves Windows Explorer, such
> as My Documents, all the Desktop icons disappear for 3-5 seconds and
> I'm back on the Desktop again!
>
> In other words, I cannot open a Windows Explorer window.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA
>

David Candy
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
How?

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF86530B-4905-4132-A6D1-58FFEDB28B22@microsoft.com...
> Increasing your RAM may solve that.
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>
>
> "Orson" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Whenever I try to open a window that involves Windows Explorer, such
>> as My Documents, all the Desktop icons disappear for 3-5 seconds and
>> I'm back on the Desktop again!
>>
>> In other words, I cannot open a Windows Explorer window.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> TIA
>>

Orson
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
I am NOT saying my pc is slow! I'm saying that on requesting a
Windows Explorer window to open, ALL the desktop icons disappear for
3-5 seconds, then I'm returned to the Desktop without a Windows
Explorer window opening (and all the icons are restored).

BTW everything works ok in Safe Mode. Can there be a clue there?
Please help.



On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:14:03 -0700, "Byte"
<Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Increasing your RAM may solve that.

Byte
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Now you're asking questions? I thought you had all the answers!
I stated "may" solve it. In that the OP did not state how much RAM they
are using, it may be one aspect in a myriad of possibilities that could be
the cause. Monitor refresh/response rate is another possibility. If you have
another one, state so. A Google search could have many answers to
troubleshoot in this situation.
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.


"David Candy" wrote:

> How?
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
> =================================================
> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF86530B-4905-4132-A6D1-58FFEDB28B22@microsoft.com...
> > Increasing your RAM may solve that.
> > --
> > Some days you're the windshield,
> > some days you're the bug.
> >
> >
> > "Orson" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Whenever I try to open a window that involves Windows Explorer, such
> >> as My Documents, all the Desktop icons disappear for 3-5 seconds and
> >> I'm back on the Desktop again!
> >>
> >> In other words, I cannot open a Windows Explorer window.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
>

David Candy
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
That doesn't explain how more memory will prevent a crash.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2D48296-399C-4662-863A-03A3B5B10564@microsoft.com...
> Now you're asking questions? I thought you had all the answers!
> I stated "may" solve it. In that the OP did not state how much RAM they
> are using, it may be one aspect in a myriad of possibilities that could be
> the cause. Monitor refresh/response rate is another possibility. If you have
> another one, state so. A Google search could have many answers to
> troubleshoot in this situation.
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> How?
>>
>> --
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> =================================================
>> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF86530B-4905-4132-A6D1-58FFEDB28B22@microsoft.com...
>> > Increasing your RAM may solve that.
>> > --
>> > Some days you're the windshield,
>> > some days you're the bug.
>> >
>> >
>> > "Orson" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> Whenever I try to open a window that involves Windows Explorer, such
>> >> as My Documents, all the Desktop icons disappear for 3-5 seconds and
>> >> I'm back on the Desktop again!
>> >>
>> >> In other words, I cannot open a Windows Explorer window.
>> >>
>> >> Any ideas?
>> >>
>> >> TIA
>> >>
>>

Orson
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Will you two PLEASE stop bitching at each other! HEY I need some help
here!!

P.S. There is a P4 1.4Ghz CPU and 256Mb DDR


On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:15:02 -0700, "Byte"
<Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Now you're asking questions? I thought you had all the answers!
>I stated "may" solve it. In that the OP did not state how much RAM they
>are using, it may be one aspect in a myriad of possibilities that could be
>the cause. Monitor refresh/response rate is another possibility. If you have
>another one, state so. A Google search could have many answers to
>troubleshoot in this situation.

David Candy
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
I saved you going out and wasting money. Type clean boot troubleshooting in help while online.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Orson" <orson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:a59oc114upiooj12coku0h47r48prnog6u@4ax.com...
> Will you two PLEASE stop bitching at each other! HEY I need some help
> here!!
>
> P.S. There is a P4 1.4Ghz CPU and 256Mb DDR
>
>
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:15:02 -0700, "Byte"
> <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Now you're asking questions? I thought you had all the answers!
>>I stated "may" solve it. In that the OP did not state how much RAM they
>>are using, it may be one aspect in a myriad of possibilities that could be
>>the cause. Monitor refresh/response rate is another possibility. If you have
>>another one, state so. A Google search could have many answers to
>>troubleshoot in this situation.
>

Orson
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
In other words, you don't know!! Sheesh!


On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 04:45:23 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>I saved you going out and wasting money. Type clean boot troubleshooting in help while online.


Windows Explorer Headache!