The "Show Desktop" Icon



Sherry
07-10-2005, 02:40 AM
I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work. I
think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?

--
Sherry

Vanguard
07-10-2005, 02:40 AM
"Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3C61150D-5172-46F8-865B-CB5D5E2996F0@microsoft.com...
>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show
>desktop"
> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at
> work. I
> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?


http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355

Jason Haynes
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the same
thing.

"Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3C61150D-5172-46F8-865B-CB5D5E2996F0@microsoft.com...
>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work.
> I
> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
>
> --
> Sherry

Sharon F
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 21:08:02 -0700, Sherry wrote:

> I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work. I
> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?

Display the Quick Launch toolbar: Right click the taskbar and select
Toolbars> Quick Launch.

After the Quick Launch toolbar appears and if there is no show desktop
shortcut visible, right click the taskbar again and click to remove the
check next to "Lock the taskbar." When you do this, divider lines become
visible.

Place the mouse cursor over the boundary line for Quick Launch. When the
double arrow cursor appears <--> click and hold on the boundary line. Then
drag it to enlarge the area for the Quick Launch toolbar and to expose
icons that may be hidden from view.

Release the mouse button when done resizing and, if you desire to do so,
lock the taskbar again.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

David Candy
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
What a stupid thing to say.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message news:%23$Ii$IjgFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the same
> thing.
>
> "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3C61150D-5172-46F8-865B-CB5D5E2996F0@microsoft.com...
>>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
>> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work.
>> I
>> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
>>
>> --
>> Sherry
>
>

Jason Haynes
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Well thought out argument David. Did you come up with it by yourself or did
a four year old help you? Would you care to explain what's stupid about it?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:OZDB$VjgFHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
What a stupid thing to say.

David Candy
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
It has nothing to do with the question. The question was ' ... "show desktop" icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work.' And note your solution doesn't work. I can't reach the keyboard myself.


>What a stupid thing to say.
>
>--
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>=================================================
>>"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message news:%23$Ii$IjgFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the same
>> thing.
>>
>> "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:3C61150D-5172-46F8-865B-CB5D5E2996F0@microsoft.com...
>>>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
>>> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at work.
>>> I
>>> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
>>>
>>> --
>>>Sherry
>>
>>

Jason Haynes
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
It does, in fact, work. Like most people, my keyboard is right in front of
me and I'll be damned if winkey + d doesn't show the desktop every time.
Besides, many folks have no idea about keyboard shortcuts and are often
thankful to learn about them. Just because you don't like my suggestion
doesn't make it wrong.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:u3f87EkgFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
It has nothing to do with the question. The question was ' ... "show
desktop" icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop
at work.' And note your solution doesn't work. I can't reach the keyboard
myself.


>What a stupid thing to say.
>
>--
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>=================================================
>>"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:%23$Ii$IjgFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the
>> same
>> thing.
>>
>> "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:3C61150D-5172-46F8-865B-CB5D5E2996F0@microsoft.com...
>>>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
>>> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at
>>> work.
>>> I
>>> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
>>>
>>> --
>>>Sherry
>>
>>

David Candy
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
It does as it has nothing to do with the question. WinKey + D does not replace the icon and is irrelevent.

If you like irrelevent answers, here is a less irrelevent (it allows the function through a mouse move), though still irrelevent, answer. Still I use it when dragging and dropping though I use Show Desktop more often..

Drag an object over, then hover over, a blank part of the taskbar
Minimises all open windows


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message news:Ojts9nkgFHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> It does, in fact, work. Like most people, my keyboard is right in front of
> me and I'll be damned if winkey + d doesn't show the desktop every time.
> Besides, many folks have no idea about keyboard shortcuts and are often
> thankful to learn about them. Just because you don't like my suggestion
> doesn't make it wrong.
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:u3f87EkgFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> It has nothing to do with the question. The question was ' ... "show
> desktop" icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop
> at work.' And note your solution doesn't work. I can't reach the keyboard
> myself.
>
>
>>What a stupid thing to say.
>>
>>--
>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>>=================================================
>>>"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:%23$Ii$IjgFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> You don't really need the icon. Pressing the windows key + d does the
>>> same
>>> thing.
>>>
>>> "Sherry" <Sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:3C61150D-5172-46F8-865B-CB5D5E2996F0@microsoft.com...
>>>>I have recently bought a new home PC and I notice that the "show desktop"
>>>> icon is not on the task bar like I am used to seeing on my laptop at
>>>> work.
>>>> I
>>>> think it comes in very handy - what do I need to do to get it there?
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>Sherry
>>>
>>>
>
>

Jason Haynes
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:u$4v4ukgFHA.2896@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
It does as it has nothing to do with the question. WinKey + D does not
replace the icon and is irrelevent.

My original reply was meant to offer an alternative to replacing the icon.
Some people appreciate a different way to do things. You don't like that
suggestion? So what? It makes no difference to me, but there was no need
whatsoever to go on the attack by calling a perfectly legitimate technique
stupid. Pressing Winkey + d performs exactly the same function as pressing
the show desktop icon. And just to be thorough, try Winkey + m. That too
minimizes all windows, but doesn't toggle like the other two.

David Candy
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
It is a stupid thing to say and it is said here frequently.Winkey D and M are different, as youi'd know if you read the file I attached to my last post.

Winkey + D
Minimises and hides windows that can't be minimised or Unminimises/unhides all windows
Winkey + M
Minimises all windows that can be minimised
Winkey + Shift + M
Unminimises all windows

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message news:OqOJJylgFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:u$4v4ukgFHA.2896@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> It does as it has nothing to do with the question. WinKey + D does not
> replace the icon and is irrelevent.
>
> My original reply was meant to offer an alternative to replacing the icon.
> Some people appreciate a different way to do things. You don't like that
> suggestion? So what? It makes no difference to me, but there was no need
> whatsoever to go on the attack by calling a perfectly legitimate technique
> stupid. Pressing Winkey + d performs exactly the same function as pressing
> the show desktop icon. And just to be thorough, try Winkey + m. That too
> minimizes all windows, but doesn't toggle like the other two.
>
>

Jason Haynes
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:uKxH$RngFHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>Winkey D and M are different, as youi'd know if you >read the file I
>attached to my last post.

I KNOW that, as I stated in MY last post.

>Winkey + D
>Minimises and hides windows that can't be minimised or >Unminimises/unhides
>all windows

What are you left with after minimizing all windows? The friggin' desktop!
Just let this go. We are obviously not going to see eye to eye on this and I
have more important things to do than going on and on with you about this
subject.

David Candy
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
What are you left with after minimizing all windows?

Windows that don't have a minimise button on the titlebar.
--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message news:%23ByxwkngFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:uKxH$RngFHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>Winkey D and M are different, as youi'd know if you >read the file I
>>attached to my last post.
>
> I KNOW that, as I stated in MY last post.
>
>>Winkey + D
>>Minimises and hides windows that can't be minimised or >Unminimises/unhides
>>all windows
>
> What are you left with after minimizing all windows? The friggin' desktop!
> Just let this go. We are obviously not going to see eye to eye on this and I
> have more important things to do than going on and on with you about this
> subject.
>
>

CAS
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
What a arrogant, ungrateful loser you are....shut up

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:%23lveUrngFHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
What are you left with after minimizing all windows?

Windows that don't have a minimise button on the titlebar.
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
=================================================
"Jason Haynes" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23ByxwkngFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:uKxH$RngFHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>Winkey D and M are different, as youi'd know if you >read the file I
>>attached to my last post.
>
> I KNOW that, as I stated in MY last post.
>
>>Winkey + D
>>Minimises and hides windows that can't be minimised or
>Unminimises/unhides
>>all windows
>
> What are you left with after minimizing all windows? The friggin' desktop!
> Just let this go. We are obviously not going to see eye to eye on this and
I
> have more important things to do than going on and on with you about this
> subject.
>
>


The "Show Desktop" Icon