XP Home: jpeg problem



{Not me}
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Someone I'm working with remotely is having a problem opening jpegs in
XP Home - gets the following message when clicking on the scan icon:

"C:\Documents and settings\hisname\My Documents\1855M4-C-0501.jpg
Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its
format is not currently supported."

I'm using XP Home [with SP2] and don't have any problems with the same
file - opens just fine in any graphics program and the specific program
that needs to use it.

The person concerned has problems with all jpegs not just this one.

TIA
--
Not me

UKDaz
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
He is trying to open a jpeg file using bitmap ext, he needs to open the image
using a jpeg extension.

"{Not me}" wrote:

> Someone I'm working with remotely is having a problem opening jpegs in
> XP Home - gets the following message when clicking on the scan icon:
>
> "C:\Documents and settings\hisname\My Documents\1855M4-C-0501.jpg
> Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap file, or its
> format is not currently supported."
>
> I'm using XP Home [with SP2] and don't have any problems with the same
> file - opens just fine in any graphics program and the specific program
> that needs to use it.
>
> The person concerned has problems with all jpegs not just this one.
>
> TIA
> --
> Not me
>

{Not me}
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
In message <D0DE445F-A786-4204-B9B4-16EA40F6FEC5@microsoft.com>, UKDaz
<UKDaz@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>He is trying to open a jpeg file using bitmap ext, he needs to open the image
>using a jpeg extension.

Yes - but I don't see how he is managing to do that since, as far as I'm
aware, he is imply double clicking on the file icon.

I have been given a suggestion from elsewhere which I'm shortly going to
forward.

--
Not me

UKDaz
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
if he's trying to open it in paint in the 'files of type' drop down list it
must be set to bitmap and he just needs to choose jpeg instead.

"{Not me}" wrote:

> In message <D0DE445F-A786-4204-B9B4-16EA40F6FEC5@microsoft.com>, UKDaz
> <UKDaz@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
> >He is trying to open a jpeg file using bitmap ext, he needs to open the image
> >using a jpeg extension.
>
> Yes - but I don't see how he is managing to do that since, as far as I'm
> aware, he is imply double clicking on the file icon.
>
> I have been given a suggestion from elsewhere which I'm shortly going to
> forward.
>
> --
> Not me
>

{Not me}
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
In message <1EDECAD5-D595-41DD-A8A6-5552FA6A77FE@microsoft.com>, UKDaz
<UKDaz@discussions.microsoft.com> writes
>if he's trying to open it in paint in the 'files of type' drop down list it
>must be set to bitmap and he just needs to choose jpeg instead.

That makes sense. I'll suggest that first as it is certainly a lot
easier for someone who is unsure of what they're doing.

Thanks
--
Not me

Al Romanosky
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
First check file association: Start>Control panel>Folder options>File
types>Scroll and select "JPG" type - under "Opens with" should be "windows
picture and fax viewer" - if not - click on "Change" select from list and
click "OK".

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al Romanosky
07-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Should have mentioned that path given previously was via "classic control
panel" view - otherwise path is through "Performance and maintenance" option

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


XP Home: jpeg problem