Windows Update Error - 0x80246008



TexasLegend
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be manual
or automatic.
can anyone help?

Will Denny
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Hi

Please see if the following helps:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=0x80246008&qt_s=Search

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
news:qZ4ye.20523$Fn4.14805@trnddc06...
>i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be manual
>or automatic.
> can anyone help?

TexasLegend
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
thanks will but i've tried most of those and can't seem to get it working.
i do see one possible problem in start/run/services.msc. when i right click
BITS/properties/general the startup type is automatic but the service status
is 'stopped'. if i click the start button under that indicator i get a
message that says "windows could not start the [BITS] on local computer. for
more information, review the system event log. if this is a non-microsoft
service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error
code -2147024894."

any ideas?







"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:ezNrgTGgFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> Please see if the following helps:
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=0x80246008&qt_s=Search
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> news:qZ4ye.20523$Fn4.14805@trnddc06...
>>i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be manual
>>or automatic.
>> can anyone help?
>
>

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Hi,

Try setting BITS (background intelligent tranfer service) to restart on
failure. Run services.msc, locate BITS and double click it. On the recovery
tab, set the first action to restart the service.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
news:Ir5ye.2651$3Y3.1876@trnddc09...
> thanks will but i've tried most of those and can't seem to get it working.
> i do see one possible problem in start/run/services.msc. when i right
> click BITS/properties/general the startup type is automatic but the
> service status is 'stopped'. if i click the start button under that
> indicator i get a message that says "windows could not start the [BITS] on
> local computer. for more information, review the system event log. if this
> is a non-microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to
> service-specific error code -2147024894."
>
> any ideas?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:ezNrgTGgFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following helps:
>>
>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=0x80246008&qt_s=Search
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>>
>> "TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>> news:qZ4ye.20523$Fn4.14805@trnddc06...
>>>i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be
>>>manual or automatic.
>>> can anyone help?
>>
>>
>
>

TexasLegend
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
it is already set to that value. thanks.



"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:OmGiZYJgFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Try setting BITS (background intelligent tranfer service) to restart on
> failure. Run services.msc, locate BITS and double click it. On the
> recovery tab, set the first action to restart the service.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> news:Ir5ye.2651$3Y3.1876@trnddc09...
>> thanks will but i've tried most of those and can't seem to get it
>> working.
>> i do see one possible problem in start/run/services.msc. when i right
>> click BITS/properties/general the startup type is automatic but the
>> service status is 'stopped'. if i click the start button under that
>> indicator i get a message that says "windows could not start the [BITS]
>> on local computer. for more information, review the system event log. if
>> this is a non-microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to
>> service-specific error code -2147024894."
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:ezNrgTGgFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Please see if the following helps:
>>>
>>> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=0x80246008&qt_s=Search
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Will Denny
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>>
>>>
>>> "TexasLegend" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>>> news:qZ4ye.20523$Fn4.14805@trnddc06...
>>>>i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be
>>>>manual or automatic.
>>>> can anyone help?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

Ron Bogart
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Have you tried the recommendations listed here?
http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_883822.aspx

--
Ron Bogart {} τΏτ¬
Associate Expert
Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Lovin life on Mercer Island 8^)
"Life is what happens while we are making other plans."
In memory of a true friend, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

In news:qZ4ye.20523$Fn4.14805@trnddc06,
TexasLegend <a@m.com> did some thinking and came up with these words:
> i get this message every time windows tries to update whether it be
> manual or automatic.
> can anyone help?


Windows Update Error - 0x80246008