User Accounts doesn't Work



The Brandts
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
When I try to open the User Accounts control panel, Notepad opens and gives the
error message "the filename, directory name or volume label syntax is
incorrect". I get the same error when i try to run nusrmgr.cpl directly. I'm
guessing a file is missing, but don't know which one. Does anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks

Ken

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Ken,

Type this in Start/Run dialog.

cmd /c assoc .hta=htafile

If that does not help you run the HTA applets like User Accounts etc, then,
open Windows\System32 folder and note down the file-size for mshta.exe. Post
the info here.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx


"The Brandts" <invalid@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:codhc1dclbf3nl5enqn9i0m26fp5ouh6il@4ax.com...
> When I try to open the User Accounts control panel, Notepad opens and
> gives the
> error message "the filename, directory name or volume label syntax is
> incorrect". I get the same error when i try to run nusrmgr.cpl directly.
> I'm
> guessing a file is missing, but don't know which one. Does anyone have any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken

The Brandts
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:51:24 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Ken,
>
>Type this in Start/Run dialog.
>
>cmd /c assoc .hta=htafile

Tried that with no change
>
>If that does not help you run the HTA applets like User Accounts etc,
When i tried to run .hta applets they would open in Notepad. I checked the file
association and they were associated to Notepad. I tried to change the
association to mshta.exe but it wouldn't change. I tried to restore the default
and it wouldn't change then either. Also, when I did a search for .hta files
search only fopund 4 and none of them were directly associated to Windows (3
were for updating my printer software and 1 was for running the Windows Media
Player tour).

>then,
>open Windows\System32 folder and note down the file-size for mshta.exe. Post
>the info here.

The size of mshta.exe is 68k. I tried replacing it with a restored copy using
msconfig, but that made no difference either.

Thank you for your quick response. I hope this info is helpful.

Ken

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Ken,

(68k) what you have is Notepad.exe file renamed to mshta.exe. Few
third-party security software does this to prevent HTA applications from
running, for security reasons. Delete the mshta.exe and extract a new copy
from XP CD.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx


"The Brandts" <invalid@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:45ujc1lq3gjet4rckar00ajpgtl95bhqoh@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 09:51:24 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Ken,
>>
>>Type this in Start/Run dialog.
>>
>>cmd /c assoc .hta=htafile
>
> Tried that with no change
>>
>>If that does not help you run the HTA applets like User Accounts etc,
> When i tried to run .hta applets they would open in Notepad. I checked the
> file
> association and they were associated to Notepad. I tried to change the
> association to mshta.exe but it wouldn't change. I tried to restore the
> default
> and it wouldn't change then either. Also, when I did a search for .hta
> files
> search only fopund 4 and none of them were directly associated to Windows
> (3
> were for updating my printer software and 1 was for running the Windows
> Media
> Player tour).
>
>>then,
>>open Windows\System32 folder and note down the file-size for mshta.exe.
>>Post
>>the info here.
>
> The size of mshta.exe is 68k. I tried replacing it with a restored copy
> using
> msconfig, but that made no difference either.
>
> Thank you for your quick response. I hope this info is helpful.
>
> Ken
>

The Brandts
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:53:44 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Ken,
>
>(68k) what you have is Notepad.exe file renamed to mshta.exe. Few
>third-party security software does this to prevent HTA applications from
>running, for security reasons. Delete the mshta.exe and extract a new copy
>from XP CD.

This did it. Thanks

Ken

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Glad that helped.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx


"The Brandts" <invalid@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:ch3pc1dl0krtce81mdcvudk5h11vdtah9i@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 10:53:44 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Ken,
>>
>>(68k) what you have is Notepad.exe file renamed to mshta.exe. Few
>>third-party security software does this to prevent HTA applications from
>>running, for security reasons. Delete the mshta.exe and extract a new copy
>>from XP CD.
>
> This did it. Thanks
>
> Ken


User Accounts doesn't Work