Slow startup/won't shutdown



Mike
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
When using xp under my user account I have no problems starting up or
shutting down, however under my wife's account we've got problems. It takes
5 minutes to inialize, 5 minutes to logoff, and from there won't shut down.
When minimizing windows under her account, they take several minutes to be
retrieved from the lower toolbar, same as with trying to access the start
menu. No problems when using the internet though. Any thoughts why it's
only happening to her account, and not mine and what to do?

Thanks

argus88220
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Our computer (XP Home) continues to emit a maddening warning siren. What is
it trying to tell us?
--
Newsguy


"Mike" wrote:

> When using xp under my user account I have no problems starting up or
> shutting down, however under my wife's account we've got problems. It takes
> 5 minutes to inialize, 5 minutes to logoff, and from there won't shut down.
> When minimizing windows under her account, they take several minutes to be
> retrieved from the lower toolbar, same as with trying to access the start
> menu. No problems when using the internet though. Any thoughts why it's
> only happening to her account, and not mine and what to do?
>
> Thanks

Alan
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
argus88220 wrote:
> Our computer (XP Home) continues to emit a maddening warning siren. What is
> it trying to tell us?

This really should be a new thread, rather than a reply to a completely
different issue. It could be a heat alarm on the CPU. Shut everything
down, unplug the computer, open it up and take a can of compressed air
(office stores anywhere) and blow all the dust bunnies out.

argus88220
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Thank you,

How do I start a thread. I click New and nothing occurs.

The heat hint makes sense, and I appreciate it.
--
Newsguy


"Alan" wrote:

> argus88220 wrote:
> > Our computer (XP Home) continues to emit a maddening warning siren. What is
> > it trying to tell us?
>
> This really should be a new thread, rather than a reply to a completely
> different issue. It could be a heat alarm on the CPU. Shut everything
> down, unplug the computer, open it up and take a can of compressed air
> (office stores anywhere) and blow all the dust bunnies out.
>


Slow startup/won't shutdown