Pointer Problem



mdbabin
07-10-2005, 02:36 AM
I recently got a new computer after not upgrading for 4-5 years and a couple
of things are different, including the behavior of my pointer. I think this
is a result of a Windows XP feature that I'm not familiar with. I hope
someone has an answer.

I notice, particularly when I am online, when I move my pointer around, if I
rest it in one spot for a moment, sometimes it automatically selects
something without my even left clicking. This is on my laptop with a touch
pad, instead of a mouse, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
It's very annoying though when the pointer sends me to a link that I did not
intend to visit or selects an email to be deleted that I did not intend to
delete.

Is this a common feature that I am unaware of or is my computer misbehaving?
I can't seem to find a way to change the setting. I went to the mouse
properties from the control panel but the only options it seems to offer me
to change are right / left-hand setup, click speed, appearance, pointer
speed, etc. I can't find any other logical places to change this type of
option in my handbook, help files, tutorials, etc.

If anyone has any answers I would appreciate the input. Thanks!

mdbabin
07-10-2005, 02:36 AM
P.S. I just found a previous post about the "tapping" feature on the touch
pad. If this is the problem, it must be REALLY sensitive, because I don't
really tap on it. Unfortunately, the post doesn't say how to turn off the
tapping feature and I can't find it anywhere, even in help topics (at least
not how to turn it off or adjust it). Again, I appreciate suggestions that
anyone might have to offer.

Thanks.

Sharon F
07-10-2005, 02:36 AM
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:07:05 -0700, mdbabin wrote:

> P.S. I just found a previous post about the "tapping" feature on the touch
> pad. If this is the problem, it must be REALLY sensitive, because I don't
> really tap on it. Unfortunately, the post doesn't say how to turn off the
> tapping feature and I can't find it anywhere, even in help topics (at least
> not how to turn it off or adjust it). Again, I appreciate suggestions that
> anyone might have to offer.
>
> Thanks.

If the settings aren't in Mouse control panel, look for a control panel
icon that is specifically for touchpad. If still no luck, use in the Start
Menu for a shortcut to touchpad configuration tool.

Sorry for such vague directions but it can vary from touchpad to touchpad
and from one version of touchpad drivers/touchpad software to the next.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

mdbabin
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
As Sharon mentioned there are different locations for touchpad settings
depending on the type of touchpad. I thought I would share where I found
mine and how I resolved the issue in case it might help someone else. There
is no separate tab for the touchpad and the settings are not listed on the
"mouse" tab as would seem logical. So, here's where I found mine: Control
Panel / Mouse Properties / Device Settings. You can select the touch pad
under the devices listed and then click the settings button to adjust
sensitivity or even turn off the tapping feature all together.

Thanks for your response Sharon.

"mdbabin" wrote:

> I recently got a new computer after not upgrading for 4-5 years and a couple
> of things are different, including the behavior of my pointer. I think this
> is a result of a Windows XP feature that I'm not familiar with. I hope
> someone has an answer.
>
> I notice, particularly when I am online, when I move my pointer around, if I
> rest it in one spot for a moment, sometimes it automatically selects
> something without my even left clicking. This is on my laptop with a touch
> pad, instead of a mouse, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
> It's very annoying though when the pointer sends me to a link that I did not
> intend to visit or selects an email to be deleted that I did not intend to
> delete.
>
> Is this a common feature that I am unaware of or is my computer misbehaving?
> I can't seem to find a way to change the setting. I went to the mouse
> properties from the control panel but the only options it seems to offer me
> to change are right / left-hand setup, click speed, appearance, pointer
> speed, etc. I can't find any other logical places to change this type of
> option in my handbook, help files, tutorials, etc.
>
> If anyone has any answers I would appreciate the input. Thanks!

Sharon F
07-10-2005, 02:37 AM
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:18:02 -0700, mdbabin wrote:

> As Sharon mentioned there are different locations for touchpad settings
> depending on the type of touchpad. I thought I would share where I found
> mine and how I resolved the issue in case it might help someone else. There
> is no separate tab for the touchpad and the settings are not listed on the
> "mouse" tab as would seem logical. So, here's where I found mine: Control
> Panel / Mouse Properties / Device Settings. You can select the touch pad
> under the devices listed and then click the settings button to adjust
> sensitivity or even turn off the tapping feature all together.
>
> Thanks for your response Sharon.

You're welcome! Am glad to hear that you found the needed settings and were
able to get things setup the way that you want them to be.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User


Pointer Problem