System freezing



F
07-10-2005, 01:36 AM
My WinXP Pro system has taken to freezing at random times.

The only reasonably common times are at the end of the last note of the
sound played when it is booting and when a folder is being opened. It
will sometimes freeze on shutting down and sometimes just randomly. If a
sound is playing a short snatch of it is left repeating until the
machine is turned off/re-booted.

I've recently had similar problems - the computer would freeze when a
memory card was inserted into a card reader - following the installation
of a USB 2.0 PCI card but they seem to have been fixed since I disabled
USB 1 in the bios (Asus A7V266-E m/board).

Anyone got any thoughts on what the problem/solution might be?

TIA.

--
F

(Beware of spam trap - remove the negative)

CompTechie
07-10-2005, 01:36 AM
sounds like you have a bad installation of XP and some of the core files are
corrupt. You may need to try a fix XP with you installation disk or just
re-install XP and start from scratch
--
CompTechie


"F" wrote:

> My WinXP Pro system has taken to freezing at random times.
>
> The only reasonably common times are at the end of the last note of the
> sound played when it is booting and when a folder is being opened. It
> will sometimes freeze on shutting down and sometimes just randomly. If a
> sound is playing a short snatch of it is left repeating until the
> machine is turned off/re-booted.
>
> I've recently had similar problems - the computer would freeze when a
> memory card was inserted into a card reader - following the installation
> of a USB 2.0 PCI card but they seem to have been fixed since I disabled
> USB 1 in the bios (Asus A7V266-E m/board).
>
> Anyone got any thoughts on what the problem/solution might be?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> F
>
> (Beware of spam trap - remove the negative)
>

S.Sengupta
07-10-2005, 01:36 AM
go for a clean installation.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

F wrote:

> My WinXP Pro system has taken to freezing at random times.
>
> The only reasonably common times are at the end of the last note of the
> sound played when it is booting and when a folder is being opened. It
> will sometimes freeze on shutting down and sometimes just randomly. If a
> sound is playing a short snatch of it is left repeating until the
> machine is turned off/re-booted.
>
> I've recently had similar problems - the computer would freeze when a
> memory card was inserted into a card reader - following the installation
> of a USB 2.0 PCI card but they seem to have been fixed since I disabled
> USB 1 in the bios (Asus A7V266-E m/board).
>
> Anyone got any thoughts on what the problem/solution might be?
>
> TIA.
>

Warren
07-10-2005, 01:36 AM
My system and that of a relative's has also had random freezing problems
this week. We feel the cause may be the new updates which Microsoft sent
out earlier in the week. Did you update and then begin having problems?

F
07-10-2005, 01:36 AM
On 01/07/2005 01:58 Warren wrote:

> We feel the cause may be the new updates which Microsoft sent
> out earlier in the week. Did you update and then begin having problems?

No, it was happening before then.

--
F

(Beware of spam trap - remove the negative)

F
07-10-2005, 01:36 AM
On 01/07/2005 01:54 S.Sengupta wrote:

> go for a clean installation.

I was trying to avoid a clean installation as there are so many
additional applications and updated drivers loaded on the system.

A 'repair' using the XP CD was suggested (I've not got the posting here:
it isn't on the server I use...), is this almost as good as a clean
install? Are there any risks with a repair?

--
F

(Beware of spam trap - remove the negative)

F
07-10-2005, 01:36 AM
On 30/06/2005 19:53 F wrote:

> My WinXP Pro system has taken to freezing at random times.
>
> The only reasonably common times are at the end of the last note of the
> sound played when it is booting and when a folder is being opened. It
> will sometimes freeze on shutting down and sometimes just randomly. If a
> sound is playing a short snatch of it is left repeating until the
> machine is turned off/re-booted.

Update:
As there seemed to be a connection with sounds being played I have
disabled CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device in Device Manager. The machine
hasn't frozen since (but I have no sound on it).

Early days, but does this provide any clues as to the problem and a
possible solution? Device Manager claims that the relevant driver is
up-to-date.

--
F

(Beware of spam trap - remove the negative)

F
07-10-2005, 01:37 AM
On 01/07/2005 11:33 F wrote:

> On 30/06/2005 19:53 F wrote:

> Update:
> As there seemed to be a connection with sounds being played I have
> disabled CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device in Device Manager. The machine
> hasn't frozen since (but I have no sound on it).
>
> Early days, but does this provide any clues as to the problem and a
> possible solution? Device Manager claims that the relevant driver is
> up-to-date.

Update on the update:
Disabling CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device in Device Manager, or PCI audio
options in the bios, stop the freezes. Re-enabling them starts the
problem again.

Anyone got any thoughts on what might be going on?

I've got a sound blaster card somewhere. Would disabling the built-in
sound and then installing the sound blaster be likely to offer a
solution? Or would that need me to re-enable the CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio
Device in Device Manager and PCI audio options?

TIA

--
F

(Beware of spam trap - remove the negative)

NoStop
07-10-2005, 01:37 AM
F wrote:

> On 01/07/2005 11:33 F wrote:
>
>> On 30/06/2005 19:53 F wrote:
>
>> Update:
>> As there seemed to be a connection with sounds being played I have
>> disabled CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device in Device Manager. The machine
>> hasn't frozen since (but I have no sound on it).
>>
>> Early days, but does this provide any clues as to the problem and a
>> possible solution? Device Manager claims that the relevant driver is
>> up-to-date.
>
And how would Device Manager know this? Seek out the latest driver for your
sound system from the mobo manufacturer's website.

> Update on the update:
> Disabling CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device in Device Manager, or PCI audio
> options in the bios, stop the freezes. Re-enabling them starts the
> problem again.
>
> Anyone got any thoughts on what might be going on?
>
> I've got a sound blaster card somewhere. Would disabling the built-in
> sound and then installing the sound blaster be likely to offer a
> solution? Or would that need me to re-enable the CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio
> Device in Device Manager and PCI audio options?
>
> TIA
>

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Malke
07-10-2005, 01:37 AM
F wrote:

> On 01/07/2005 11:33 F wrote:
>
>> On 30/06/2005 19:53 F wrote:
>
>> Update:
>> As there seemed to be a connection with sounds being played I have
>> disabled CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device in Device Manager. The machine
>> hasn't frozen since (but I have no sound on it).
>>
>> Early days, but does this provide any clues as to the problem and a
>> possible solution? Device Manager claims that the relevant driver is
>> up-to-date.
>
> Update on the update:
> Disabling CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device in Device Manager, or PCI
> audio options in the bios, stop the freezes. Re-enabling them starts
> the problem again.
>
> Anyone got any thoughts on what might be going on?
>
> I've got a sound blaster card somewhere. Would disabling the built-in
> sound and then installing the sound blaster be likely to offer a
> solution? Or would that need me to re-enable the CMI8738/C3DX PCI
> Audio Device in Device Manager and PCI audio options?
>
> TIA
>

It sounds like there is a hardware issue with the built-in sound.
Disable it in the BIOS and throw your SoundBlaster in there and see
what happens. I think I'd uninstall the drivers for the built-in sound
first.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

F
07-10-2005, 01:39 AM
On 02/07/2005 16:12 Malke wrote:

> It sounds like there is a hardware issue with the built-in sound.
> Disable it in the BIOS and throw your SoundBlaster in there and see
> what happens.

It worked (fingers crossed)!

Thanks for giving me the courage to go ahead and try it...

--
Frank


System freezing