.tmp files



hensmark
07-10-2005, 02:35 AM
I changed the "open with" option for my .tmp files to notepad. What is the
correct association and how do I change it back? System restore is not
available to correct this problem. Thank you.

Michael T
07-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Try this.

Search your hard drive for any TMP file.

Right-click and select OPEN.

The dialog will explain why "Windows cannot open this file."

Any questions, then post back.

--
Michael

"hensmark" <hensmark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B3CC41D1-40DE-4126-980C-EDA1881F2F80@microsoft.com...
>I changed the "open with" option for my .tmp files to notepad. What is the
> correct association and how do I change it back? System restore is not
> available to correct this problem. Thank you.

hensmark
07-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the help, Michael. I appreciate it.


"Michael T" wrote:

> Try this.
>
> Search your hard drive for any TMP file.
>
> Right-click and select OPEN.
>
> The dialog will explain why "Windows cannot open this file."
>
> Any questions, then post back.
>
> --
> Michael
>
> "hensmark" <hensmark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B3CC41D1-40DE-4126-980C-EDA1881F2F80@microsoft.com...
> >I changed the "open with" option for my .tmp files to notepad. What is the
> > correct association and how do I change it back? System restore is not
> > available to correct this problem. Thank you.
>
>
>

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 02:35 AM
..TMP is not associated with any application, by default. To undo the
association settings for .TMP file, try this:

Type CONTROL FOLDERS in Start/Run:
Click the File Types dialog
Select TMP (TMP File) from the list
Click the Delete button.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx


"hensmark" <hensmark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B3CC41D1-40DE-4126-980C-EDA1881F2F80@microsoft.com...
>I changed the "open with" option for my .tmp files to notepad. What is the
> correct association and how do I change it back? System restore is not
> available to correct this problem. Thank you.

hensmark
07-10-2005, 02:35 AM
And thank you Ramesh. This did the trick.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> ..TMP is not associated with any application, by default. To undo the
> association settings for .TMP file, try this:
>
> Type CONTROL FOLDERS in Start/Run:
> Click the File Types dialog
> Select TMP (TMP File) from the list
> Click the Delete button.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>
>
> "hensmark" <hensmark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B3CC41D1-40DE-4126-980C-EDA1881F2F80@microsoft.com...
> >I changed the "open with" option for my .tmp files to notepad. What is the
> > correct association and how do I change it back? System restore is not
> > available to correct this problem. Thank you.
>
>

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 02:35 AM
Glad that helped!

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx


"hensmark" <hensmark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4D254762-428A-4EA9-95FA-FA80B94059B3@microsoft.com...
> And thank you Ramesh. This did the trick.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> ..TMP is not associated with any application, by default. To undo the
>> association settings for .TMP file, try this:
>>
>> Type CONTROL FOLDERS in Start/Run:
>> Click the File Types dialog
>> Select TMP (TMP File) from the list
>> Click the Delete button.


.tmp files