I can't access task manager



PhilJ
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
Hi.

When I load the performance utility in administrative tools, it says that my
CPU is in use 100% of the time, even when there is no software loaded and
just sitting there. The laptop fan is constantly in use. However when I right
click on the bottom bar and click task manager, nothing happens, therefore I
can't see exactly what's taking up the processing power. It makes my computer
unbearably slow! If anyone has any info, that'd be fantastic!!!

Michael T
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
I would simply select the Processes tab in the Windows Task Manager to see
which process is using up your CPU time.


"PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:53253255-0E13-4A16-9182-B2750EDEF57B@microsoft.com...
> Hi.
>
> When I load the performance utility in administrative tools, it says that
> my
> CPU is in use 100% of the time, even when there is no software loaded and
> just sitting there. The laptop fan is constantly in use. However when I
> right
> click on the bottom bar and click task manager, nothing happens, therefore
> I
> can't see exactly what's taking up the processing power. It makes my
> computer
> unbearably slow! If anyone has any info, that'd be fantastic!!!

PhilJ
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
As mentioned, I can't access the task manager!

"Michael T" wrote:

> I would simply select the Processes tab in the Windows Task Manager to see
> which process is using up your CPU time.
>
>
> "PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:53253255-0E13-4A16-9182-B2750EDEF57B@microsoft.com...
> > Hi.
> >
> > When I load the performance utility in administrative tools, it says that
> > my
> > CPU is in use 100% of the time, even when there is no software loaded and
> > just sitting there. The laptop fan is constantly in use. However when I
> > right
> > click on the bottom bar and click task manager, nothing happens, therefore
> > I
> > can't see exactly what's taking up the processing power. It makes my
> > computer
> > unbearably slow! If anyone has any info, that'd be fantastic!!!
>
>
>

R. C. White
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
Hi, PhilJ.

Have you tried the other way of accessing Task Manager: <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del>

Of course, if your computer is only using 2% of the CPU, the other 98% will
be "used" by the System Idle Process, so that it will always seem to be at
100%. But I'm sure you knew this.

When did you last scan this machine for malware?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E583C981-8F0B-413C-ACA9-AC7E37F0D4DC@microsoft.com...
> As mentioned, I can't access the task manager!
>
> "Michael T" wrote:
>
>> I would simply select the Processes tab in the Windows Task Manager to
>> see
>> which process is using up your CPU time.
>>
>>
>> "PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:53253255-0E13-4A16-9182-B2750EDEF57B@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > When I load the performance utility in administrative tools, it says
>> > that
>> > my
>> > CPU is in use 100% of the time, even when there is no software loaded
>> > and
>> > just sitting there. The laptop fan is constantly in use. However when I
>> > right
>> > click on the bottom bar and click task manager, nothing happens,
>> > therefore
>> > I
>> > can't see exactly what's taking up the processing power. It makes my
>> > computer
>> > unbearably slow! If anyone has any info, that'd be fantastic!!!

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:24:04 -0700, "PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi.
>
>When I load the performance utility in administrative tools, it says that my
>CPU is in use 100% of the time, even when there is no software loaded and
>just sitting there. The laptop fan is constantly in use. However when I right
>click on the bottom bar and click task manager, nothing happens, therefore I
>can't see exactly what's taking up the processing power. It makes my computer
>unbearably slow! If anyone has any info, that'd be fantastic!!!

Phil,

When does your computer get to this point? Immediately when you login, or after
its been running for a while?

Can you start Process Explorer instead? PE is free, from
<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>, and will give you
lots more information than TM about what is abusing your CPU. If you start PE
immediately after logging in, when you need it, it will be there to help you.

If that's not a possibility, consider a malware problem.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/dealing-with-malware-adware-spyware.html>

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

PhilJ
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
Fantastic!!

Thanks heaps Chuck! Using Process Explorer I was able to identify what was
tying up the resources of my computer, it turned out to be Windows Update.
Why it was taking 100% of my resources and not allowing me to load task
manager I don't know - but it was obviously reloading everytime I started
windows, hence I could never load task manager.

I do have Norton's antivirus and internet security, so I didn't go further
down the malware route, although is malware something that Nortons won't pick
up?

Awesome, and thanks for your help!!

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:24:04 -0700, "PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi.
> >
> >When I load the performance utility in administrative tools, it says that my
> >CPU is in use 100% of the time, even when there is no software loaded and
> >just sitting there. The laptop fan is constantly in use. However when I right
> >click on the bottom bar and click task manager, nothing happens, therefore I
> >can't see exactly what's taking up the processing power. It makes my computer
> >unbearably slow! If anyone has any info, that'd be fantastic!!!
>
> Phil,
>
> When does your computer get to this point? Immediately when you login, or after
> its been running for a while?
>
> Can you start Process Explorer instead? PE is free, from
> <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>, and will give you
> lots more information than TM about what is abusing your CPU. If you start PE
> immediately after logging in, when you need it, it will be there to help you.
>
> If that's not a possibility, consider a malware problem.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/dealing-with-malware-adware-spyware.html>
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck sonic net.
>

PhilJ
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
Yes, I have tried ctrl alt del, and it doesn't even bring up a window!

I definitely know the CPU is running as my computer is running hot and the
fan is constantly on. The thing that worries me is that I can't bring up a
list of processes, so I can't see what exact process is taking the resources.


"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, PhilJ.
>
> Have you tried the other way of accessing Task Manager: <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del>
>
> Of course, if your computer is only using 2% of the CPU, the other 98% will
> be "used" by the System Idle Process, so that it will always seem to be at
> 100%. But I'm sure you knew this.
>
> When did you last scan this machine for malware?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E583C981-8F0B-413C-ACA9-AC7E37F0D4DC@microsoft.com...
> > As mentioned, I can't access the task manager!
> >
> > "Michael T" wrote:
> >
> >> I would simply select the Processes tab in the Windows Task Manager to
> >> see
> >> which process is using up your CPU time.
> >>
> >>
> >> "PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:53253255-0E13-4A16-9182-B2750EDEF57B@microsoft.com...
> >> > Hi.
> >> >
> >> > When I load the performance utility in administrative tools, it says
> >> > that
> >> > my
> >> > CPU is in use 100% of the time, even when there is no software loaded
> >> > and
> >> > just sitting there. The laptop fan is constantly in use. However when I
> >> > right
> >> > click on the bottom bar and click task manager, nothing happens,
> >> > therefore
> >> > I
> >> > can't see exactly what's taking up the processing power. It makes my
> >> > computer
> >> > unbearably slow! If anyone has any info, that'd be fantastic!!!
>
>
>

Chuck
07-10-2005, 02:34 AM
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:40:03 -0700, "PhilJ" <PhilJ@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Fantastic!!
>
>Thanks heaps Chuck! Using Process Explorer I was able to identify what was
>tying up the resources of my computer, it turned out to be Windows Update.
>Why it was taking 100% of my resources and not allowing me to load task
>manager I don't know - but it was obviously reloading everytime I started
>windows, hence I could never load task manager.
>
>I do have Norton's antivirus and internet security, so I didn't go further
>down the malware route, although is malware something that Nortons won't pick
>up?
>
>Awesome, and thanks for your help!!

That's great to know, Phil. Thanks for the update!

You did verify that the Windows Update process is a legit Microsoft component,
not a malware forging the name?

Norton is an antivirus product, which is but a small portion of a very necessary
layered defense strategy. Most components I recommend are free, so you have
nothing to lose but some of your time, and a small amount of disk space and CPU
(a very small amount by today's standards):
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/please-protect-yourself-layer-your.html>

--
Cheers,
Chuck
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.


I can't access task manager