Regedit.com??? What the?



RB
07-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Start, Run, I type in regedit. I get a blank command window which reads windows/system32/regedit.com. There is no such file as regedit.com in the directory. So I scanned for viruses, adware and spyware. Nothing. I can only acess the registry via regedit.exe. I consulted different web sites, including Symantec's and Microsoft, and there are no recipes to fix this. Many have the same identical problem. No explanation on the causes.

Any ideas?

Richard

Wesley Vogel
07-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Did you do a Search for regedit.com on your machine?

HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

If you don't have a virus/trojan now, then you had one at one time.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Ew0se.2332$6o4.783@fed1read04,
RB <bazinetr@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Start, Run, I type in regedit. I get a blank command window which reads
> windows/system32/regedit.com. There is no such file as regedit.com in the
> directory. So I scanned for viruses, adware and spyware. Nothing. I can
> only acess the registry via regedit.exe. I consulted different web sites,
> including Symantec's and Microsoft, and there are no recipes to fix this.
> Many have the same identical problem. No explanation on the causes.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Richard

RB
07-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Thank you for your advice. Did my reading homework. And found the problem.
"Win32.P2P-Worm.Alcan.a" which modifies your shell command. Thank you
AdAware!!!! for finding it... and killing it. Norton AV, Panda, and Trend
Micro were not effective with this worm, I am very disappointed. Does not
even come up on their radar.

RB

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23$mhD$ecFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Did you do a Search for regedit.com on your machine?
>
> HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347
>
> If you don't have a virus/trojan now, then you had one at one time.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:Ew0se.2332$6o4.783@fed1read04,
> RB <bazinetr@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Start, Run, I type in regedit. I get a blank command window which reads
>> windows/system32/regedit.com. There is no such file as regedit.com in the
>> directory. So I scanned for viruses, adware and spyware. Nothing. I can
>> only acess the registry via regedit.exe. I consulted different web sites,
>> including Symantec's and Microsoft, and there are no recipes to fix this.
>> Many have the same identical problem. No explanation on the causes.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Richard

Wesley Vogel
07-10-2005, 01:26 AM
RB,

Antivirus programs are not usually good for finding spyware. And vice
versa.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:og1se.2969$6o4.731@fed1read04,
RB <bazinetr@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thank you for your advice. Did my reading homework. And found the problem.
> "Win32.P2P-Worm.Alcan.a" which modifies your shell command. Thank you
> AdAware!!!! for finding it... and killing it. Norton AV, Panda, and Trend
> Micro were not effective with this worm, I am very disappointed. Does not
> even come up on their radar.
>
> RB
>
> "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:%23$mhD$ecFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Did you do a Search for regedit.com on your machine?
>>
>> HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347
>>
>> If you don't have a virus/trojan now, then you had one at one time.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:Ew0se.2332$6o4.783@fed1read04,
>> RB <bazinetr@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Start, Run, I type in regedit. I get a blank command window which reads
>>> windows/system32/regedit.com. There is no such file as regedit.com in
>>> the directory. So I scanned for viruses, adware and spyware. Nothing. I
>>> can only acess the registry via regedit.exe. I consulted different web
>>> sites, including Symantec's and Microsoft, and there are no recipes to
>>> fix this. Many have the same identical problem. No explanation on the
>>> causes.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Richard

Alan Smith
07-10-2005, 01:26 AM
"RB" <bazinetr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:og1se.2969$6o4.731@fed1read04...
..... Norton AV, Panda, and Trend
> Micro were not effective with this worm, I am very disappointed. Does not
> even come up on their radar.
>
> RB

That's like saying Adobe Photoshop, Paintshop pro, PhotoImpact are no good
at opening up spreadsheets so that disappoints you.
They aren't designed to. There is other software designed to open these.

Anti-Virus packages are designed to find viruses. Spyware programs are
designed to find spyware. They are different things. Expect to use a
relevant program for particular uses- or you'll be posting that you are very
dissappointed that your Word Processor can't open your database files next.


Regedit.com??? What the?