Where did my SCSI drive go???



Atoznl
07-10-2005, 02:23 AM
My machine has two hard disks, one IDE one SCSI (using an Promise Ultra 133
TX2). It runs XP installed on the IDE drive and everything works fine (i.e.
I can access all partitions on all drives).

I want to install a second copy of XP for testing purposes, and want it to
reside on a partition on the (large) SCSI drive.

I use the latest (2.00.0.43) drivers from Promise, but when I install XP and
press F6 (identifying I want to use a SCSI driver other than the one XP
comes with), the system hangs after I select the driver. XP reports that the
driver (on my floppy disk) is newer but suggests to use Microsoft's driver
nevertheless. Even if I accept that suggestion, the system hangs too.

Who can help?

Atoznl

Shenan Stanley
07-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Atoznl wrote:
> My machine has two hard disks, one IDE one SCSI (using an Promise
> Ultra 133 TX2). It runs XP installed on the IDE drive and everything
> works fine (i.e. I can access all partitions on all drives).
>
> I want to install a second copy of XP for testing purposes, and want
> it to reside on a partition on the (large) SCSI drive.
>
> I use the latest (2.00.0.43) drivers from Promise, but when I install
> XP and press F6 (identifying I want to use a SCSI driver other than
> the one XP comes with), the system hangs after I select the driver.
> XP reports that the driver (on my floppy disk) is newer but suggests
> to use Microsoft's driver nevertheless. Even if I accept that
> suggestion, the system hangs too.

The Promise Technology card you mentioned is an IDE card - what SCSI card do
you have - if you have any?
Checked the Promise Technology Web page for any updates the card itself
might need?
Tried a different card slot for the Promise Card?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--

Atoznl
07-10-2005, 02:24 AM
In Hardware it is not shown under IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers, but under SCSI-
and RAID-controllers. It has a bus relation with my disk Maxtor 6 Y120P0
that is shown as a SCSI Disk Device in Hardware.

SCSI-controllers in Hardware also show A347SCSI SCSI Controller. There seems
to be a newer version according to VersionTracker, but the site transfer me
to Windows Update, and there is no update for the A347 driver on the MS site
that I can find.

Atoznl

>
> The Promise Technology card you mentioned is an IDE card - what SCSI card
> do you have - if you have any?
> Checked the Promise Technology Web page for any updates the card itself
> might need?
> Tried a different card slot for the Promise Card?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
>

Lil' Dave
07-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Well, I don't understand why the installation CD is allowing you to install
another instance of XP, if the original XP installation partition is visible
to that installation CD. And believe you're seeing symptoms.

Also, you have to setup your PC's bios to boot from SCSI, before booting
from your onboard ide. An FAQ at the promise site tells you how to do that.
Otherwise, you're not installing to the hard drive attached to the Promise
controller at boot time.

XP, Win2K, and NT, and the Win9X family all refer to add-on ide controllers
as scsi or pseudo-scsi. The drives connected to these are ide hard drives
only. No scsi hard drives. Your pocket book would notice a big difference
in these as well.

If the former XP installation partition is hidden, you are using the proper
routine for another XP install. There is a glitch in some cases regarding
the driver, you may have to copy it to the XP partition after its
installation before the GUI part will work.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314859

Many people are not familiar with this type of installation, so you may have
to filter their replies with some common sense.
"Atoznl" <atoznl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:42ab2878$0$75716$58c7af7e@news.kabelfoon.nl...
> My machine has two hard disks, one IDE one SCSI (using an Promise Ultra
133
> TX2). It runs XP installed on the IDE drive and everything works fine
(i.e.
> I can access all partitions on all drives).
>
> I want to install a second copy of XP for testing purposes, and want it to
> reside on a partition on the (large) SCSI drive.
>
> I use the latest (2.00.0.43) drivers from Promise, but when I install XP
and
> press F6 (identifying I want to use a SCSI driver other than the one XP
> comes with), the system hangs after I select the driver. XP reports that
the
> driver (on my floppy disk) is newer but suggests to use Microsoft's driver
> nevertheless. Even if I accept that suggestion, the system hangs too.
>
> Who can help?
>
> Atoznl
>
>

Malke
07-10-2005, 02:24 AM
"Atoznl" <atoznl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:42ac07a8$0$1531$58c7af7e@news.kabelfoon.nl...
> In Hardware it is not shown under IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers, but under
SCSI-
> and RAID-controllers. It has a bus relation with my disk Maxtor 6 Y120P0
> that is shown as a SCSI Disk Device in Hardware.
>
> SCSI-controllers in Hardware also show A347SCSI SCSI Controller. There
seems
> to be a newer version according to VersionTracker, but the site transfer
me
> to Windows Update, and there is no update for the A347 driver on the MS
site
> that I can find.
>
> Atoznl
>
> >
> > The Promise Technology card you mentioned is an IDE card - what SCSI
card
> > do you have - if you have any?
> > Checked the Promise Technology Web page for any updates the card itself
> > might need?
> > Tried a different card slot for the Promise Card?
> >
> > --
> > Shenan Stanley
> > MS-MVP
> > --
> >
>
>

Malke
07-10-2005, 02:24 AM
"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
news:%23%23YVvhzbFHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Well, I don't understand why the installation CD is allowing you to
install
> another instance of XP, if the original XP installation partition is
visible
> to that installation CD. And believe you're seeing symptoms.
>
> Also, you have to setup your PC's bios to boot from SCSI, before booting
> from your onboard ide. An FAQ at the promise site tells you how to do
that.
> Otherwise, you're not installing to the hard drive attached to the Promise
> controller at boot time.
>
> XP, Win2K, and NT, and the Win9X family all refer to add-on ide
controllers
> as scsi or pseudo-scsi. The drives connected to these are ide hard drives
> only. No scsi hard drives. Your pocket book would notice a big
difference
> in these as well.
>
> If the former XP installation partition is hidden, you are using the
proper
> routine for another XP install. There is a glitch in some cases regarding
> the driver, you may have to copy it to the XP partition after its
> installation before the GUI part will work.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314859
>
> Many people are not familiar with this type of installation, so you may
have
> to filter their replies with some common sense.
> "Atoznl" <atoznl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:42ab2878$0$75716$58c7af7e@news.kabelfoon.nl...
> > My machine has two hard disks, one IDE one SCSI (using an Promise Ultra
> 133
> > TX2). It runs XP installed on the IDE drive and everything works fine
> (i.e.
> > I can access all partitions on all drives).
> >
> > I want to install a second copy of XP for testing purposes, and want it
to
> > reside on a partition on the (large) SCSI drive.
> >
> > I use the latest (2.00.0.43) drivers from Promise, but when I install XP
> and
> > press F6 (identifying I want to use a SCSI driver other than the one XP
> > comes with), the system hangs after I select the driver. XP reports that
> the
> > driver (on my floppy disk) is newer but suggests to use Microsoft's
driver
> > nevertheless. Even if I accept that suggestion, the system hangs too.
> >
> > Who can help?
> >
> > Atoznl
> >
> >
>
>


Where did my SCSI drive go???