Is 'vgasafe' the same as 'standard vga'?



David Hewitt
07-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Having trouble installing the ATI CAT 5.5 drivers for my new Sapphire X800XL
that I bought yesterday.Getting a 'severe' message two thirds into
installing drivers - as follows ' set up was unable to complete the
installation.Try to set up your display adaptor with a standard vga driver
before running setup'.

X800 card currently running under 'vgasafe' so at least I can access the
internet etc.

I have tried installing drivers under safe mode, and ensuring my previous
nVidea drivers have been removed.

Running Pentium P2.4, Intel Motherboard D845GBV

Appreciate any help

Dave

Raztax
07-10-2005, 02:16 AM
You say that you tried installing the drivers in safe mode, have you
tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers from add/remove programs?

David Hewitt
07-10-2005, 02:16 AM
yes, and re-installing the original nVidea card - re-installed the nVidea
drivers and removed again.
I have seen other comments regarding 'vgasafe' and ATI not recognising it.
But if this is the case not sure how I can install 'standard vga', if indeed
that is the problem

I assume this must be a softward problem?

Appreciate any help. Bit frustrating having just sent 200 on a new card and
can't get the drivers to install

Dave
"Raztax" <v_2todur@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1117961708.537769.295820@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> You say that you tried installing the drivers in safe mode, have you
> tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers from add/remove programs?
>

DL
07-10-2005, 02:16 AM
I believe you will find a driver uninstal utility on the ATI site, google
returns a hit.

You may be able to force std vga, by removing your graphics card in hardware
devices, and on reboot kill the found new hardware wizard.

"David Hewitt" <david.p.hewitt@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:u4RKb1aaFHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> yes, and re-installing the original nVidea card - re-installed the nVidea
> drivers and removed again.
> I have seen other comments regarding 'vgasafe' and ATI not recognising it.
> But if this is the case not sure how I can install 'standard vga', if
indeed
> that is the problem
>
> I assume this must be a softward problem?
>
> Appreciate any help. Bit frustrating having just sent 200 on a new card
and
> can't get the drivers to install
>
> Dave
> "Raztax" <v_2todur@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1117961708.537769.295820@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > You say that you tried installing the drivers in safe mode, have you
> > tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers from add/remove programs?
> >
>
>

David Hewitt
07-10-2005, 02:21 AM
sorry vgasafe should read vgasave

"David Hewitt" <david.p.hewitt@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:u4RKb1aaFHA.1088@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> yes, and re-installing the original nVidea card - re-installed the nVidea
> drivers and removed again.
> I have seen other comments regarding 'vgasafe' and ATI not recognising it.
> But if this is the case not sure how I can install 'standard vga', if
> indeed that is the problem
>
> I assume this must be a softward problem?
>
> Appreciate any help. Bit frustrating having just sent 200 on a new card
> and can't get the drivers to install
>
> Dave
> "Raztax" <v_2todur@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1117961708.537769.295820@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> You say that you tried installing the drivers in safe mode, have you
>> tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers from add/remove programs?
>>
>
>


Is 'vgasafe' the same as 'standard vga'?