laptop screen flickers if moved



Slave to the cow
07-10-2005, 02:14 AM
I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when I
move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but I
don't know what connection to look for.
Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power options)
after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer than
"turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.

I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much to
ask?

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Apparently, you have some sort of hardware issue.
Contact Gateway support for assistance.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Slave to the cow" wrote:

| I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when I
| move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
| backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but I
| don't know what connection to look for.
| Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
| problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
| Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power options)
| after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer than
| "turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.
|
| I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much to
| ask?

Slave to the cow
07-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Can't. Gateway said (while still under warranty) that they would require me
to send laptop in for undetermined amount of time & they were not sure what
it was of if they could fix it. I need computer for school, can't go more
than a couple of days without & issues are not bad enough to warrant time &
money.
I just hoped somebody had a similar prob & new of a fix.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Apparently, you have some sort of hardware issue.
> Contact Gateway support for assistance.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Slave to the cow" wrote:
>
> | I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when I
> | move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
> | backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but I
> | don't know what connection to look for.
> | Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
> | problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
> | Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power options)
> | after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer than
> | "turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.
> |
> | I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much to
> | ask?
>
>

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-10-2005, 02:14 AM
You likely have a defective video adapter only a qualified
Gateway service technician can replace.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Slave to the cow" wrote:

| Can't. Gateway said (while still under warranty) that they would require me
| to send laptop in for undetermined amount of time & they were not sure what
| it was of if they could fix it. I need computer for school, can't go more
| than a couple of days without & issues are not bad enough to warrant time &
| money.
| I just hoped somebody had a similar prob & new of a fix.

GTS
07-10-2005, 02:14 AM
The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is usually
caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects the
motherboard video output to the LCD panel inverter input, flexes when
opening and closing the panel and is a common laptop failure point. It is
replaceable though a delicate job. It may last a long time as its or may
fail completely at some point.
--

"Slave to the cow" <Slave to the cow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4DF0504B-9FDA-4380-8C36-B3F7E47C1681@microsoft.com...
>I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when
>I
> move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
> backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but
> I
> don't know what connection to look for.
> Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
> problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
> Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power
> options)
> after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer
> than
> "turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.
>
> I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much
> to
> ask?
>

Slave to the cow
07-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the response. It has lasted for about 2 years. It is just a minor
issue that I thought I would throw out & see if anyone had a clue.

The other issue (the screen never turns off as requested) is actually the
one that is really annoying me lately. Any ideas?

"GTS" wrote:

> The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is usually
> caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects the
> motherboard video output to the LCD panel inverter input, flexes when
> opening and closing the panel and is a common laptop failure point. It is
> replaceable though a delicate job. It may last a long time as its or may
> fail completely at some point.
> --
>
> "Slave to the cow" <Slave to the cow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:4DF0504B-9FDA-4380-8C36-B3F7E47C1681@microsoft.com...
> >I am using XP home SP2 on Gateway Solo laptop. For quite a while now, when
> >I
> > move the screen back & forth on the hinge, the screen will black out (no
> > backlight) & then come back. Seems like a physical connection problem but
> > I
> > don't know what connection to look for.
> > Just replaced hard drive & reloaded, so unless XP home has an inherent
> > problem, cannot see this as a software issue.
> > Everything else works fine EXCEPT, screen will not turn off (power
> > options)
> > after allotted time & if screen saver time delay (say 3 mins) is longer
> > than
> > "turn off monitor" time (2 mins), screensaver will not come on at all.
> >
> > I want it to go black when asked & stay on when working. Is that to much
> > to
> > ask?
> >
>
>
>

GTS
07-10-2005, 02:14 AM
When you reinstalled XP, did you use a Gateway recovery media or a standard
XP installation media? Have you checked Gateway for driver updates and any
possible troubleshooting advice?
--

"Slave to the cow" <Slavetothecow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6E883FD4-7A05-4EF5-826B-7D2D8F188D43@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the response. It has lasted for about 2 years. It is just a
> minor
> issue that I thought I would throw out & see if anyone had a clue.
>
> The other issue (the screen never turns off as requested) is actually the
> one that is really annoying me lately. Any ideas?
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is usually
>> caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects
>> the

Slave to the cow
07-10-2005, 02:15 AM
I used the orig Gateway recovery disks that came with the computer, and then
installed updates from Microsoft that corresponded with my system, ie: SP1
SP2 Security Updates, etc. I have found something on Gateway that is in
response to a flickering screen but that requires a usable floppy disk drive.
Mine has a metal slide piece from an old floppy stuck in it. Haven't tried
downloading to a CD yet cause it may not work & my computer is running fine.

But Gateway has not reported anything so far as I can see about the screen
not shutting down using the power options timer, so I fear that even if I did
get the update to work with a CD, it probably will not help the power options
prob.

"GTS" wrote:

> When you reinstalled XP, did you use a Gateway recovery media or a standard
> XP installation media? Have you checked Gateway for driver updates and any
> possible troubleshooting advice?
> --
>
> "Slave to the cow" <Slavetothecow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:6E883FD4-7A05-4EF5-826B-7D2D8F188D43@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for the response. It has lasted for about 2 years. It is just a
> > minor
> > issue that I thought I would throw out & see if anyone had a clue.
> >
> > The other issue (the screen never turns off as requested) is actually the
> > one that is really annoying me lately. Any ideas?
> >
> > "GTS" wrote:
> >
> >> The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is usually
> >> caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects
> >> the
>
>
>

GTS
07-10-2005, 02:15 AM
I don't have any other specific ideas. FWIW Here's are a few general
points re. power management troubleshooting. None seem particularly likely
in your case but are worth checking..

Is the Task Scheduler service running?
Check BIOS settings.
Use msconfig to disable start up items and reboot to help eliminate possible
software conflicts.

Also, if you are using any unusual screen saver, remove it. (There are some
known issues with some 3rd party savers using DirectX, for example).

It doesn't seem likely, but if all else fails, I wouldn't completely rule
out that the problem video cable as an issue involving a signal line in the
circuit. Unfortunately, there's no way to test it short of replacement.
--

"Slave to the cow" <Slavetothecow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6676FF26-4CFF-46AD-89D7-2621E5D71D54@microsoft.com...
>I used the orig Gateway recovery disks that came with the computer, and
>then
> installed updates from Microsoft that corresponded with my system, ie: SP1
> SP2 Security Updates, etc. I have found something on Gateway that is in
> response to a flickering screen but that requires a usable floppy disk
> drive.
> Mine has a metal slide piece from an old floppy stuck in it. Haven't tried
> downloading to a CD yet cause it may not work & my computer is running
> fine.
>
> But Gateway has not reported anything so far as I can see about the screen
> not shutting down using the power options timer, so I fear that even if I
> did
> get the update to work with a CD, it probably will not help the power
> options
> prob.
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> When you reinstalled XP, did you use a Gateway recovery media or a
>> standard
>> XP installation media? Have you checked Gateway for driver updates and
>> any
>> possible troubleshooting advice?
>> --
>>
>> "Slave to the cow" <Slavetothecow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:6E883FD4-7A05-4EF5-826B-7D2D8F188D43@microsoft.com...
>> > Thanks for the response. It has lasted for about 2 years. It is just a
>> > minor
>> > issue that I thought I would throw out & see if anyone had a clue.
>> >
>> > The other issue (the screen never turns off as requested) is actually
>> > the
>> > one that is really annoying me lately. Any ideas?
>> >
>> > "GTS" wrote:
>> >
>> >> The symptom you describe when moving the screen on the hinge is
>> >> usually
>> >> caused by a problem with the video cable. This cable, which connects
>> >> the
>>
>>
>>


laptop screen flickers if moved