Help!! (please read)



bbmariah
07-10-2005, 01:14 AM
I've posted once before, but no one replied, and I don't know where else
to turn. I'm hoping someone can help me ...

I recently bought a new Toshiba Satellite M35 laptop. It runs Windows
XP (home). After working successfully for the past four months or so,
I've run into the following problem. After working away in MS Word or
Mozilla for awhile, all of a sudden it's as though I lose control of
the keyboard. If I'm in Word, for instance, it'll start typing
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz or \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ or scrolling up
uncontrollably to the top of the page. Almost at the same time - and
this happens *every* time - Windows Media Player starts up, searches to
see whether there's a CD in the drive (which there rarely is), and then
reports 'No CD'.

By this stage, the cursor is virtually uncontrollable, even if I close
out of Word or Mozilla; and it often takes quite some doing just to
turn the computer off. If I attempt to restart it then, the problem
will often persist for 30-60 minutes, after which it'll work fine again
- sometimes for a day or two.

I have Norton Anti-Virus, but despite updating it regularly, it hasn't
detected any viruses.

If anyone has any ideas what the problem could be - particularly if you
know how to solve it - I'd be very grateful if you could post a note
here and/or drop me a line on

b_b_mariah@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks very much for any help you could suggest!!


--
bbmariah
------------------------------------------------------------------------
bbmariah's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1649
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870475736

Jerry
07-10-2005, 01:14 AM
You have a laptop with an OEM version of Windows. Your tech support is from
Toshiba.

"bbmariah" <bbmariah.1pt6l1@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message
news:bbmariah.1pt6l1@no-mx.msusenet.com...
>
> I've posted once before, but no one replied, and I don't know where else
> to turn. I'm hoping someone can help me ...
>
> I recently bought a new Toshiba Satellite M35 laptop. It runs Windows
> XP (home). After working successfully for the past four months or so,
> I've run into the following problem. After working away in MS Word or
> Mozilla for awhile, all of a sudden it's as though I lose control of
> the keyboard. If I'm in Word, for instance, it'll start typing
> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz or \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ or scrolling up
> uncontrollably to the top of the page. Almost at the same time - and
> this happens *every* time - Windows Media Player starts up, searches to
> see whether there's a CD in the drive (which there rarely is), and then
> reports 'No CD'.
>
> By this stage, the cursor is virtually uncontrollable, even if I close
> out of Word or Mozilla; and it often takes quite some doing just to
> turn the computer off. If I attempt to restart it then, the problem
> will often persist for 30-60 minutes, after which it'll work fine again
> - sometimes for a day or two.
>
> I have Norton Anti-Virus, but despite updating it regularly, it hasn't
> detected any viruses.
>
> If anyone has any ideas what the problem could be - particularly if you
> know how to solve it - I'd be very grateful if you could post a note
> here and/or drop me a line on
>
> b_b_mariah@yahoo.co.uk
>
> Thanks very much for any help you could suggest!!
>
>
> --
> bbmariah
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> bbmariah's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1649
> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870475736
>

Wesley Vogel
07-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Try unplugging your microphone.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:bbmariah.1pt6l1@no-mx.msusenet.com,
bbmariah <bbmariah.1pt6l1@no-mx.msusenet.com> hunted and pecked:
> I've posted once before, but no one replied, and I don't know where else
> to turn. I'm hoping someone can help me ...
>
> I recently bought a new Toshiba Satellite M35 laptop. It runs Windows
> XP (home). After working successfully for the past four months or so,
> I've run into the following problem. After working away in MS Word or
> Mozilla for awhile, all of a sudden it's as though I lose control of
> the keyboard. If I'm in Word, for instance, it'll start typing
> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz or \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ or scrolling up
> uncontrollably to the top of the page. Almost at the same time - and
> this happens *every* time - Windows Media Player starts up, searches to
> see whether there's a CD in the drive (which there rarely is), and then
> reports 'No CD'.
>
> By this stage, the cursor is virtually uncontrollable, even if I close
> out of Word or Mozilla; and it often takes quite some doing just to
> turn the computer off. If I attempt to restart it then, the problem
> will often persist for 30-60 minutes, after which it'll work fine again
> - sometimes for a day or two.
>
> I have Norton Anti-Virus, but despite updating it regularly, it hasn't
> detected any viruses.
>
> If anyone has any ideas what the problem could be - particularly if you
> know how to solve it - I'd be very grateful if you could post a note
> here and/or drop me a line on
>
> b_b_mariah@yahoo.co.uk
>
> Thanks very much for any help you could suggest!!
>
>
> --
> bbmariah
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> bbmariah's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1649
> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870475736

bbmariah
07-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks very much for replying, Jerry. Can you tell me what an "OEM
version of Windows" is?


--
bbmariah
------------------------------------------------------------------------
bbmariah's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1649
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870475736

Wesley Vogel
07-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Original Equipment Manufacturer

Literally...
A producer that provides a product to its customers, who proceed to modify
or bundle it before distributing it to their customers.

This applies to anyone who manufactures anything.

OEMs usually get cheaper prices on parts.

As applied to computers
OEMs buy computers in bulk and customize them for a particular application.
They then sell the customized computer under their own name.

As applied to Windows XP
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions sell at lower prices because
they include online manufacturer technical support, but no phone support.
Microsoft does not provide any support, so they sell these versions cheaper
to the OEMs. The OEMs, supposedly, pass these savings on to you.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:bbmariah.1pthp1@no-mx.msusenet.com,
bbmariah <bbmariah.1pthp1@no-mx.msusenet.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks very much for replying, Jerry. Can you tell me what an "OEM
> version of Windows" is?
>
>
> --
> bbmariah
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> bbmariah's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1649
> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870475736

bbmariah
07-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Thanks very much, Jerry. This forum has been really useful, and I'm
grateful to all of you who have responded. I tried a few suggestions
yesterday, but the problem has persisted, so I'm going to phone Toshiba
today ...


--
bbmariah
------------------------------------------------------------------------
bbmariah's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1649
View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870475736

Wesley Vogel
07-10-2005, 01:15 AM
This is a newsgroup...

microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support


You happen to be acessing this newsgroup via this forum...

http://www.msusenet.com


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:bbmariah.1pvyl5@no-mx.msusenet.com,
bbmariah <bbmariah.1pvyl5@no-mx.msusenet.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks very much, Jerry. This forum has been really useful, and I'm
> grateful to all of you who have responded. I tried a few suggestions
> yesterday, but the problem has persisted, so I'm going to phone Toshiba
> today ...
>
>
> --
> bbmariah
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> bbmariah's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1649
> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1870475736


Help!! (please read)