error message msiexec.exe



lm20
07-10-2005, 01:13 AM
Help, please! WHat does it mean when I receive the following error message
at startup?

"Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\msiexec.exe. Make sure you typed the name
correctly......"

Startup does continue, and things seem to be running, but I want to be sure
that something is not awry. I believe this has to do with windows installer,
but I'm not sure what to do!

Thanks much!

Nepatsfan
07-10-2005, 01:13 AM
lm20 wrote:
> Help, please! WHat does it mean when I receive the following
> error message at startup?
>
> "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\msiexec.exe. Make sure you
> typed the name correctly......"
>
> Startup does continue, and things seem to be running, but I
> want to be sure that something is not awry. I believe this
> has to do with windows installer, but I'm not sure what to do!
>
> Thanks much!

For starters, the real misiexec.exe is located in the
C:\Windows\System32 folder. Recheck your error message and verify
that it says C:\Windows\msiexec.exe.

If that's what the error message says, it may be that a recent
virus or spyware scan removed the bogus msiexec.exe file but left
behind a registry entry. To stop the error message you might want
to do the following:

Go to Start -> Run and enter msconfig in the Open box.
Click OK.
Click on the Startup tab.
Look for an entry that points to C:\Windows\msiexec.exe.
If you find one, remove the check mark next to it.
Close the System Configuration Utility and restart your computer.
When your machine restarts, put a check mark in the box on the
page that mentions operating in Diagnostic mode.
Click OK.

Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and run a scan.
You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot S & D.

AdAware
http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html

Spybot S & D
http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html

You might also consider running some of the online virus
scanners:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

Nepatsfan

lm20
07-10-2005, 01:13 AM
Thank you very much - I wouldn't know that the actual msiexec is in a
different location. I do have both Ad-Aware and Spybot S & D, so I will run
scans with both. My Norton is up to date, so I will also run a virus scan.
Thanks again!!

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> lm20 wrote:
> > Help, please! WHat does it mean when I receive the following
> > error message at startup?
> >
> > "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\msiexec.exe. Make sure you
> > typed the name correctly......"
> >
> > Startup does continue, and things seem to be running, but I
> > want to be sure that something is not awry. I believe this
> > has to do with windows installer, but I'm not sure what to do!
> >
> > Thanks much!
>
> For starters, the real misiexec.exe is located in the
> C:\Windows\System32 folder. Recheck your error message and verify
> that it says C:\Windows\msiexec.exe.
>
> If that's what the error message says, it may be that a recent
> virus or spyware scan removed the bogus msiexec.exe file but left
> behind a registry entry. To stop the error message you might want
> to do the following:
>
> Go to Start -> Run and enter msconfig in the Open box.
> Click OK.
> Click on the Startup tab.
> Look for an entry that points to C:\Windows\msiexec.exe.
> If you find one, remove the check mark next to it.
> Close the System Configuration Utility and restart your computer.
> When your machine restarts, put a check mark in the box on the
> page that mentions operating in Diagnostic mode.
> Click OK.
>
> Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and run a scan.
> You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot S & D.
>
> AdAware
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html
>
> Spybot S & D
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html
>
> You might also consider running some of the online virus
> scanners:
>
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp
>
> Nepatsfan
>
>
>

Nepatsfan
07-10-2005, 01:13 AM
lm20 wrote:
> Thank you very much - I wouldn't know that the actual msiexec
> is in a different location. I do have both Ad-Aware and
> Spybot S & D, so I will run scans with both. My Norton is up
> to date, so I will also run a virus scan. Thanks again!!

You're welcome. Since it sounds as if the bogus file has already been
deleted there's a good chance that your machine's going to come up clean.
That said, it's still a good idea to run them.

Nepatsfan


error message msiexec.exe