No Sounds In Windows



Flying Chowder
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Ok my problem has become quite a pain, recently I formatted my harddrive, and
upon reinstalling all my components I realized that there was no sound upon
the start up of windows. Looking further into it, I realized there were no
sounds through out windows, such as beeps for a wrong click, the dong for the
card games, the closing sounds etc.. Trying messenger it too did not have
sounds, not acknowledging new mail or friends online. Even a brand new web
cam would not connect via audio. Trying other messengers, yahoo... the same
problem. Even flash games and shorts would have no sound, they would load up
and play the visuals but there would be nothing. Now here is the problem, at
first thought one would think that the sound card is shot, but mp3's work as
do all other games. There is no problem with windows media player when
playing files, its only flash and messenger and the start and stop noises of
the system. All the volume boxes have been checked and hundreds of othe
possible solutions. I even went so far as to reformat my computer again
thinking that it simply might be a problem of SP2, but having reloaded XP,
there was still no sound, and after adding first SP1 then SP2, there was
still no sound. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated as I am at
a lost.

Al Romanosky
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Did you do the following: Start?Control panel>Sound and audio devices?

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Chowder
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Yes I've done checked that, all devices say they are working properly, all
volumes are at full and all mute boxes unchecked, but still no sound.

Johnny_1
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
You made no mention of re-installing your sound card drivers after the
reformat and clean install. Use the latest drivers.

You can also check Kelly's site for sound tips "where did my sounds go":
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm

"Flying Chowder" wrote:

> Ok my problem has become quite a pain, recently I formatted my harddrive, and
> upon reinstalling all my components I realized that there was no sound upon
> the start up of windows. Looking further into it, I realized there were no
> sounds through out windows, such as beeps for a wrong click, the dong for the
> card games, the closing sounds etc.. Trying messenger it too did not have
> sounds, not acknowledging new mail or friends online. Even a brand new web
> cam would not connect via audio. Trying other messengers, yahoo... the same
> problem. Even flash games and shorts would have no sound, they would load up
> and play the visuals but there would be nothing. Now here is the problem, at
> first thought one would think that the sound card is shot, but mp3's work as
> do all other games. There is no problem with windows media player when
> playing files, its only flash and messenger and the start and stop noises of
> the system. All the volume boxes have been checked and hundreds of othe
> possible solutions. I even went so far as to reformat my computer again
> thinking that it simply might be a problem of SP2, but having reloaded XP,
> there was still no sound, and after adding first SP1 then SP2, there was
> still no sound. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated as I am at
> a lost.

Flying Chowder
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
I have reinstalled the latest drivers. And I have previously tried those
hints, but on the regedt, I am unable to delete that value.

Flying Chowder
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Scratch that regedt remark, I have tried whar is suggested but still to no
avail. The sound files are on my computer, when I click on them throught
explorer they work, but when trying to apply them to windows they do not work
in the test box.

"Flying Chowder" wrote:

> I have reinstalled the latest drivers. And I have previously tried those
> hints, but on the regedt, I am unable to delete that value.

Johnny_1
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
That is strange, especially with a clean install. In sound properties - Make
sure the volume is not muted for any file types, the default device is your
sound card, sometimes use only default devices needs checked.Try the sound
trouble shooter(pretty much useless). In device manager, any yellow
exclaimation marks for your audio controllers?

Other than that, I can't be of much more help.

"Flying Chowder" wrote:

> Scratch that regedt remark, I have tried whar is suggested but still to no
> avail. The sound files are on my computer, when I click on them throught
> explorer they work, but when trying to apply them to windows they do not work
> in the test box.
>
> "Flying Chowder" wrote:
>
> > I have reinstalled the latest drivers. And I have previously tried those
> > hints, but on the regedt, I am unable to delete that value.

Flying Chowder
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
I've checked and made sure nothing is muted. I went through the trouble
shooter and as you say nothing good came from it. The device manager shows
everything working as it should, I cannot figure it out either. Thanks for
trying though.

Johnny_1
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Another Idea.
You could try moving your sound card to a different slot. Prehaps a conflict
from sharing an IRQ?

Best luck!

"Flying Chowder" wrote:

> I've checked and made sure nothing is muted. I went through the trouble
> shooter and as you say nothing good came from it. The device manager shows
> everything working as it should, I cannot figure it out either. Thanks for
> trying though.

Flying Chowder
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Thats an idea, but I've had the sound card for the past three years and the
problem has just occured within the last 6 months, and I have not added
anything but a DVD burner, I don't know how a conflict could suddenly occur.
The burner took the place of a DVD player.

Johnny_1
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm just listing ideas as I come up with them. Perhaps re-seating the card?
I've spent many hours getting my soundblaster card to work properly so I
feel your pain,

Good luck,
Johnny_1


"Flying Chowder" wrote:

> Thats an idea, but I've had the sound card for the past three years and the
> problem has just occured within the last 6 months, and I have not added
> anything but a DVD burner, I don't know how a conflict could suddenly occur.
> The burner took the place of a DVD player.
>

Flying Chowder
07-10-2005, 02:12 AM
I'll give it a try this weekend, but if the audio works fine in games and for
mp3's, could it really just be a matter of position? Can a soundcard half
die? lol.

"Johnny_1" wrote:

> I'm just listing ideas as I come up with them. Perhaps re-seating the card?
> I've spent many hours getting my soundblaster card to work properly so I
> feel your pain,
>
> Good luck,
> Johnny_1
>
>
> "Flying Chowder" wrote:
>
> > Thats an idea, but I've had the sound card for the past three years and the
> > problem has just occured within the last 6 months, and I have not added
> > anything but a DVD burner, I don't know how a conflict could suddenly occur.
> > The burner took the place of a DVD player.
> >


No Sounds In Windows