shut down problem



Boris
07-10-2005, 01:10 AM
shut down and standby both fail. System simply restarts. No error messages.

Possibly pertinent info.: Windows XP (sp2) home reinstalled, all drivers
updated, maxtor 40 gig drive, Geforce Ultra FX5600 video, sony cdrw/dvd, asus
a7v8-x mother board with Via ethernet LAN; Three partions: c: (ntfs) for OS,
d: is a small fat 32 for bootmagic (not yet rehidden since partion magic not
reinstalled), e: (ntfs) contains back up jobs.

Possibly related problems: Could not get post until I removed video card,
started, shutdown, and reinstalled video card. Could not get apci features
until I updated bios.

I am out of ideas, nothing in knowlege base (except for a reference to
problem with Roxio which I don't have).

Michael T
07-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Have you looked at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

--
Michael

"Boris" <Boris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:03DE3688-90AF-4F6D-A493-02833ADB3AF3@microsoft.com...
> shut down and standby both fail. System simply restarts. No error
> messages.
>
> Possibly pertinent info.: Windows XP (SP2) home reinstalled, all drivers
> updated, maxtor 40 gig drive, Geforce Ultra FX5600 video, sony cdrw/dvd,
> asus
> a7v8-x mother board with Via ethernet LAN; Three partions: c: (ntfs) for
> OS,
> d: is a small fat 32 for bootmagic (not yet rehidden since partion magic
> not
> reinstalled), e: (ntfs) contains back up jobs.
>
> Possibly related problems: Could not get post until I removed video card,
> started, shutdown, and reinstalled video card. Could not get apci
> features
> until I updated bios.
>
> I am out of ideas, nothing in knowlege base (except for a reference to
> problem with Roxio which I don't have).
>

Boris
07-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Thanks. It was the mouse.

"Michael T" wrote:

> Have you looked at
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
>
> --
> Michael
>
> "Boris" <Boris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:03DE3688-90AF-4F6D-A493-02833ADB3AF3@microsoft.com...
> > shut down and standby both fail. System simply restarts. No error
> > messages.
> >
> > Possibly pertinent info.: Windows XP (SP2) home reinstalled, all drivers
> > updated, maxtor 40 gig drive, Geforce Ultra FX5600 video, sony cdrw/dvd,
> > asus
> > a7v8-x mother board with Via ethernet LAN; Three partions: c: (ntfs) for
> > OS,
> > d: is a small fat 32 for bootmagic (not yet rehidden since partion magic
> > not
> > reinstalled), e: (ntfs) contains back up jobs.
> >
> > Possibly related problems: Could not get post until I removed video card,
> > started, shutdown, and reinstalled video card. Could not get apci
> > features
> > until I updated bios.
> >
> > I am out of ideas, nothing in knowlege base (except for a reference to
> > problem with Roxio which I don't have).
> >
>
>
>


shut down problem