"the target cannot handle this type of document" Odd WinXP error



David Brzeski & Jilly Paddock
07-10-2005, 01:08 AM
For some time now, whenever I try to copy a file to the floppy drive
(either using send to, drag & drop from explorer or whatever) it
copies fine, but I get the error message, "the target cannot handle
this type of document". Researching this online I've discovered that
various people have reported it since sometime in 2002, but noone has
ever come up with an explanation. It's not a problem, as it still
copies fine, but I'd love to know what causes it. What do all the
people who are getting this have in common? I can't remember when I
first noticed it, but I don't think it always happened. Maybe an MS
update is responsible? I'd assumed it was an SP2 anomaly, but I know
people with SP2 who don't get it, & it was evidently happening before
SP2 was introduced.
Anyone have a clue?

Dave Brzeski

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 01:09 AM
David,

No idea why it occurs. But, you may give this command a try. From Start/Run

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"David Brzeski & Jilly Paddock" <dave@cathaven.co.uk> wrote in message
news:2eq0911db4ir6ipioc2hvfg7jut3kesjed@4ax.com...
> For some time now, whenever I try to copy a file to the floppy drive
> (either using send to, drag & drop from explorer or whatever) it
> copies fine, but I get the error message, "the target cannot handle
> this type of document". Researching this online I've discovered that
> various people have reported it since sometime in 2002, but noone has
> ever come up with an explanation. It's not a problem, as it still
> copies fine, but I'd love to know what causes it. What do all the
> people who are getting this have in common? I can't remember when I
> first noticed it, but I don't think it always happened. Maybe an MS
> update is responsible? I'd assumed it was an SP2 anomaly, but I know
> people with SP2 who don't get it, & it was evidently happening before
> SP2 was introduced.
> Anyone have a clue?
>
> Dave Brzeski

David Brzeski & Jilly Paddock
07-10-2005, 01:10 AM
On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:04:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>David,
>
>No idea why it occurs. But, you may give this command a try. From Start/Run
>
>regsvr32 /i shell32.dll


Tried it, but it made no difference. Oh well, as I said, it's not a
problem as it still copies the files OK. It is very odd though.

Dave

David Brzeski & Jilly Paddock
07-10-2005, 01:10 AM
On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:04:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>No idea why it occurs.

I tracked it down. It only occurs when I copy files to floppy via my
Explorer replacement, FileQuest XP Gold version 3.1. Looks like I need
to update it. It's on version 4.0 now.

Dave

Ramesh, MS-MVP
07-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Thanks for posting back, Dave. Ths info will help others in the future.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"David Brzeski & Jilly Paddock" <dave@cathaven.co.uk> wrote in message
news:lsp691hlp4atvn3jbok681rpgm079pkj3r@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:04:55 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>No idea why it occurs.
>
> I tracked it down. It only occurs when I copy files to floppy via my
> Explorer replacement, FileQuest XP Gold version 3.1. Looks like I need
> to update it. It's on version 4.0 now.
>
> Dave


"the target cannot handle this type of document" Odd WinXP error