xp not starting up



mary z
07-10-2005, 02:06 AM
i have windows xp home edition and it will not start on my computer. i have
tried to boot from my cd-rom with the restore disc in it hoping to reinstall
windows. it won't boot from it. i think i may have a virus. can anyone
please help me?

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-10-2005, 02:06 AM
What is the make and model of your computer?
Did you read the User's Guide that came with
your computer to learn how to properly use the
Restore CD?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"mary z" wrote:

| i have windows xp home edition and it will not start on my computer. i have
| tried to boot from my cd-rom with the restore disc in it hoping to reinstall
| windows. it won't boot from it. i think i may have a virus. can anyone
| please help me?

mary z
07-10-2005, 02:06 AM
it is an emachine....i did read the manual on how to use the retore cd, but
the computer will not read the disc.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> What is the make and model of your computer?
> Did you read the User's Guide that came with
> your computer to learn how to properly use the
> Restore CD?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "mary z" wrote:
>
> | i have windows xp home edition and it will not start on my computer. i have
> | tried to boot from my cd-rom with the restore disc in it hoping to reinstall
> | windows. it won't boot from it. i think i may have a virus. can anyone
> | please help me?
>

Carey Frisch [MVP]
07-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Welcome to eMachine Customer Care!
http://www.emachines.com/support/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"mary z" wrote:

| it is an emachine....i did read the manual on how to use the retore cd, but
| the computer will not read the disc.

guestfromhell
07-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Need more detail.

How far into the boot does it get? Do you get a screen raster, or
doesnt it get that far. if you get a raster, whats the last message on
screen when it stops? Can you get into the bios to see if the bios
settings are still there, it might have forgotten about all the drives
on the IDE bus which is why it cant see them and boot.

more info needed.............


--
guestfromhell
------------------------------------------------------------------------
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819073546

mary z
07-10-2005, 02:06 AM
it gets to the window xp logo and just sits on there forever, it never gets
to the desktop....i went into the bios and reset the default configurations
and i also tried to change the order of the boot so it would boot from the
cd-rom and it won't....i can't even start windows in safe mode.....i don't
know too much about the bios to mess with them.

"guestfromhell" wrote:

>
> Need more detail.
>
> How far into the boot does it get? Do you get a screen raster, or
> doesnt it get that far. if you get a raster, whats the last message on
> screen when it stops? Can you get into the bios to see if the bios
> settings are still there, it might have forgotten about all the drives
> on the IDE bus which is why it cant see them and boot.
>
> more info needed.............
>
>
> --
> guestfromhell
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819073546
>
>

guestfromhell
07-10-2005, 02:07 AM
ah ok, try this page first

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150516


--
guestfromhell
------------------------------------------------------------------------
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819073546

guestfromhell
07-10-2005, 02:07 AM
or this

http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/FixWin/UpDown/hangstup.htm

also, it COULD be a power supply problem. Try removing all cards not
needed and disconnecting the floppy and the CD to lower the load, see
if that makes any difference.


--
guestfromhell
------------------------------------------------------------------------
guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819073546

mary z
07-10-2005, 02:07 AM
thank you so much for all of your help! i will try all of this!

"guestfromhell" wrote:

>
> or this
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/FixWin/UpDown/hangstup.htm
>
> also, it COULD be a power supply problem. Try removing all cards not
> needed and disconnecting the floppy and the CD to lower the load, see
> if that makes any difference.
>
>
> --
> guestfromhell
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> guestfromhell's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12490
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819073546
>
>


xp not starting up