Clean Up & Install XP Pro



Blake
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
I currently have 2000 Pro on my desktop. I have a laptop on order which will
have XP Pro. I want to get XP Pro full version & I would like to do a clean
install on my desktop. I have a 40 gig as a primary drive and a 120 gig (I
think that is the size) as a secondary. How do I perform the install with
both drives? Will the install format just my primary drive or will it format
both? I was going to save all my important files to the secondary drive and
also save them to cd's. Can anyone give me direction and input?

Thanks,
Blake

Bruce Chambers
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
Blake wrote:
> I currently have 2000 Pro on my desktop. I have a laptop on order which will
> have XP Pro. I want to get XP Pro full version & I would like to do a clean
> install on my desktop. I have a 40 gig as a primary drive and a 120 gig (I
> think that is the size) as a secondary. How do I perform the install with
> both drives?


Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm




> Will the install format just my primary drive or will it format
> both?


It will format whatever partition(s) you select. If you select only
the system partition, that's the one that'll get formatted.



--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH

Blake
07-10-2005, 02:05 AM
So am I safe saving my files to the secondary drive or should I still save to
cd's just in case and there is no need to disconnect the secondary drive?

Thanks,
Blake

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Blake wrote:
> > I currently have 2000 Pro on my desktop. I have a laptop on order which will
> > have XP Pro. I want to get XP Pro full version & I would like to do a clean
> > install on my desktop. I have a 40 gig as a primary drive and a 120 gig (I
> > think that is the size) as a secondary. How do I perform the install with
> > both drives?
>
>
> Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> HOW TO Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>
>
>
>
> > Will the install format just my primary drive or will it format
> > both?
>
>
> It will format whatever partition(s) you select. If you select only
> the system partition, that's the one that'll get formatted.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once. - RAH
>

John
07-10-2005, 02:05 AM
Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Blake wrote:
>
>> I currently have 2000 Pro on my desktop. I have a laptop on order
>> which will have XP Pro. I want to get XP Pro full version & I would
>> like to do a clean install on my desktop. I have a 40 gig as a primary
>> drive and a 120 gig (I think that is the size) as a secondary. How do
>> I perform the install with both drives?
>
>
>
> Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> HOW TO Install Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;316941
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm
>
>
>
>
>> Will the install format just my primary drive or will it format both?
>
>
>
> It will format whatever partition(s) you select. If you select only
> the system partition, that's the one that'll get formatted.
>
>
>
You don't have to format to install XP. In fact you can have both W2K
and XP as a dual boot if you desire. Just be sure they are not in the
same partition.

John


Clean Up & Install XP Pro